Book Criticker

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Bojangles
2727 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Book Criticker

Post by Bojangles »

I don't read as much as I want to and my excuse is that I'm afraid wasting all that time reading a book that I won't like. Anyone know of a site out there on the intrawebs that is like criticker, only a it's novel recommendations?

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Re: Book Criticker

Post by Bojangles »

nvm, I forgot how good Amazon's recommendations are...there's probably no site out there that beats it.

AFlickering
3000 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

if there was a book criticker i'd pretty much be sorted for life

and a music one for that matter

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Rate Your Music is as close as it gets... It's not as accurate as Criticker, tough ;)
Honestly, if Criticker would decide one day to expand to TV shows/books/music, I'll offer an helping hand with all I've got to give.

Grit
799 Ratings

Post by Grit »

If I had to exapand the site I'd expand it into Games, Books and TV Shows with seperate sections for each which could be brought together in one main site. Music would work, but would be significantly more difficult to organise. Then again, sticking to just films definately has its advantages.

TheAlliance
1750 Ratings

Post by TheAlliance »

Music is possble for sure (albums), but books? Don't forget there are many many many books out there (rrrright? :D), it would be a real task to get the database filled with enough books before you can say it's ready to go online. It would help if you have a lot of volunteers, but i doubt they keep inputting those titles week in, week out for hours...

Here in The Netherlands we have some kind of rating site for albums, but they don't have a system like Criticker to see who else shares the same taste in music. *searching for the site* -> Well, it seems this dutch site expanded into Books and games :D.

Here are the toplists of Movies/Books and Games according to the dutch users:
http://www.musicmeter.nl/list/
http://www.boekmeter.nl/list/
http://www.gamesmeter.nl/list/

Those 3 sites have 115.000 albums, 4500 games and 9500 books in their databases, just to give you an idea :).

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I agree, books are very hard... Not only there are infinite books out there which can turn out to be very hard to verify if they even exist, but each country has it's own literature, and while some books make it internationally, most stay inside the border of their respective country.
I don't know about games, though, but music and TV shows can be very good... And don't tell me that each country has it's own TV shows and music artists, in this case it's much more universal than literature.

TheAlliance
1750 Ratings

Post by TheAlliance »

Well, then you can always have filters to get rid of the non-english Albums for example, but then again some Albums i know are really good but not English.. Ah well.. something for later :)

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Now that I think about it, a music criticker would probably be easier and cooler than a book version. btw, those site were pretty cool Alliance.

Grit
799 Ratings

Post by Grit »

Books could be done, but limitations would need to be made. Even then I wouldn't think it would be tremendously popular.