How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Spunkie
5483 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Post by Spunkie »

If you can manage to add a tool to your software that automatically retrieves data from the sites it will turn to be a cool freeware/shareware. It should retrieves all of one's rankings from criticker to setup its base, then uses a user-defined formula to make out a reccomendations list. What you need is some more parameters that shall work for other people (I wasn't very careful on previous posts but maybe "abundancy" based on how many people have rated it on imdb.). I really enjoy going through the manual drill of reading some opinions, considering psi, checking a summary, but appreciate your not so useless effort.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Spunkie wrote:If you can manage to add a tool to your software that automatically retrieves data from the sites it will turn to be a cool freeware/shareware. It should retrieves all of one's rankings from criticker to setup its base, then uses a user-defined formula to make out a reccomendations list.

Indeed... However, whereas I'm more than fluent in Excel-speak, I'm not that fluent in software design :P, so... I don't think I could do this myself.

Spunkie wrote:What you need is some more parameters that shall work for other people (I wasn't very careful on previous posts but maybe "abundancy" based on how many people have rated it on imdb.). I really enjoy going through the manual drill of reading some opinions, considering psi, checking a summary, but appreciate your not so useless effort.

The 'abundancy' you mention is partly covered by the popcorn rating which favours movies with big box office results. I do also have a column with number of votes, but so far I've only used it to guess whether a movie will be available in my local video store (movies with less than 1,000 tend not to be present).

Philip
541 Ratings

Post by Philip »

Wow, I read that about three times but I still don't understand it. I appreciate the effort though, I'll ask my math teacher to help me understand it as soon as my easter break ends.
As for my background, I'm still in high school. My math knowledge doesn't stretch further than derivative of trigonometric functions :P

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Philip wrote:Wow, I read that about three times but I still don't understand it. I appreciate the effort though, I'll ask my math teacher to help me understand it as soon as my easter break ends. [...]

Heh, my apologies. Basically I just try to get closer to the best parameters by trial and error while gradually improving the accuracy. You can compare this with gradually getting more accurate with a scale like this where you add smaller and smaller weights to get more accuracy. The only difference is that a scale is 1-dimensional (it has only one axis, left and right), whereas my parameters make for 7 dimensions, 1 for each parameter.

Philip
541 Ratings

Post by Philip »

Quicky wrote: Heh, my apologies. Basically I just try to get closer to the best parameters by trial and error while gradually improving the accuracy. You can compare this with gradually getting more accurate with a scale like this where you add smaller and smaller weights to get more accuracy. The only difference is that a scale is 1-dimensional (it has only one axis, left and right), whereas my parameters make for 7 dimensions, 1 for each parameter.

There is no reason to apologies, it's simply my stupidity getting in the way of your explanation. :)
The simile with the scale helped a lot though, thank you.

CCLZA
3827 Ratings

Post by CCLZA »

And I thought I was obsessed with Criticker.

Anyway, I'd NEVER use the imdb score as a guide for anything. people there are mostly crazy, the #2 film in their top250 is The Shawshank Redemption :lol:

And the fanboys use to agree on rate 0 any film that they consider could step in the way of their films to the top or things like that.

I only use Criticker to choose what film to see and what not to see. Box office, the IMDB score or anything else couldn't come close to the recommendations that those that have very similar taste to yours can give you.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Cuculiza wrote:Anyway, I'd NEVER use the imdb score as a guide for anything. people there are mostly crazy, the #2 film in their top250 is The Shawshank Redemption :lol:

Sure, IMDB doesn't work for everybody.

Cuculiza wrote:[...] Box office, the IMDB score or anything else couldn't come close to the recommendations that those that have very similar taste to yours can give you.

I don't agree. My IDL program proved that for me personally IMDB still works better in providing me with recommendations than Criticker does. Though each works quite well for me on their own, when they're combined, especially when taking the other parameters I use into account, they result in even better recommendations. That is the reason why I like Criticker.

I won't deny that it's possible that for you Criticker works better than IMDB. But you cannot say that Criticker will work better for everyone.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Quicky wrote:I don't agree. My IDL program proved that for me personally IMDB still works better in providing me with recommendations than Criticker does.

I'd like to clarify this some more...

Though in theory Criticker should be the only thing I ever need, that is not the case, since Criticker has a limited amount of users with a limited amount of rated movies and an algorithm that is not perfect. My top 10 TCI's lie between 1.97 and 2.24. Apparently that is not small enough to give me recommendations that are more reliable than IMDB does. But like I said, combining those two has an even better result, so I definitely don't intend to understate Criticker's value.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

1.9? How come some users have such low 10 top TCIs? My top TCI is about 0.7... :roll:

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

KGB wrote:1.9? How come some users have such low 10 top TCIs? My top TCI is about 0.7... :roll:

For one, I've noticed that the higher the percentage of movies you want to have in common with your TCI's (I have mine set at 30% atm) and the higher the number of movies that you've rated, the higher your minimum TCI becomes. I think this is quite logical as you'd expect that the more movies you have in common with somebody else, the lower the chance that you'll agree on all of those movies with each other. If you've only rated a few movies, there's bound to be someone who almost completely agrees with you on those particular movies.

Furthermore, I guess some people have more mainstream tastes than others. I don't believe I've got that weird a taste, but who knows :D.

Since you've rated quite a number of movies, I suspect that either you have set your minimum percentage of common movies at 10% or you've got a taste in movies similar to many people on Criticker...