How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Quicky
786 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Post by Quicky »

In another tread, td888 wrote:[...] Hi Quicky, how are my 'personal recommendations' going? Lot of work...? ;)

I just finished :).

And moreover, once again I added a new parameter to my calculations. Actually I added one and removed one (Awards) because at this very moment, my code doesn't allow more than 7 parameters. I hope to find a way around this in the future. The parameter I added is keywords. I now make a list of keywords that are mentioned on the IMDB-keywords pages of the movies you have rated. Using this list, I try to predict whether you'll like other movies based on its keywords. Some keywords will be new, some will not.

[WARNING: ABSTRACT MATH CONTENTS]
Now... I can choose how many keywords to use for this. The more keywords, the better the system will predict which movies you liked. However, it would be very unwise to use too many keywords, because then you'd be approaching a scenario where you say "Is the name of a movie 'There Will Be Blood"? If yes, then I'll like it, if not, then I won't. Obviously this would mean that my program correctly predicts that you like "There Will Be Blood". But I'm sure you'd agree that nevertheless, this program doesn't necessarily give informative predictions for movies that are not "There Will Be Blood". It's important to realize that to get accurate predictions, you need to find a balance between criteria that are too general and too specific. Simply decide which movie you're going to watch based on whether it's a comedy or a not is an obvious example of being too general. Using the title of a movie as a criterium would be too specific because there will only be one movie with that title. In the same way, using too many keywords would mean there will only be very few movies that have the keywords you liked, i.e. the ones from the movies you liked and have already seen.
I'm sure I've lost most of you by now.... :D
[/WARNING]

td888, you can find your recommendations list at http://thequicky.net/files/td888-qmdb-r ... ations.pdf

Your ratings correlated to each of the 7 parameters as follows:
(1 means perfect correlation, 0 means no correlation at all, -1 means perfect but opposite correlation)

• PSI: 0.42 (PSI is helpful, but it's not a great fit)
  • Popcorn: -0.15 (like everyone else here apparently, you prefer smarts over popcorn)
  • IMDB: 0.42 (IMDB helps with your recommendations)
  • Length: 0.27 (you prefer longer movies)
  • Age: -0.13 (you have a very slight preference towards older movies)
  • Genre: 0.28 (genre is pretty important to you. you love documentary, and history, but you hate comedy and family)
  • Keywords: 0.14 (the keywords parameter does help)

In order to give you the best fit to your personal preference the following weights were used to come up with your recommendations:

• IMDB: 29.1%
  • PSI: 26.3%
  • Genre: 18.3%
  • Keywords: 11.5%
  • Popcorn: 8.5%
  • Length: 4.1%

Oh and, to give you some insight into the keywords, here are the 20 keywords you feel strongest about:
  • Top 10 (keywords you like): Tragedy, Neo-Noir, Violent Movie, Disturbing, Psychopath, Famous Score, Brutality, Critically Acclaimed, Vengeance, Bloody Violence
  • Bottom 10 (keywords you don't like): Sequel, Character Name in Title, Fall from Height, Female Nudity, Helicopter, Police, Kids & Family, Dog, Father-Son Relationship, Twist in the End

Apparently you like brutal and bloody tragedies about psychopaths wanting vengeance that are critically acclaimed and have famous scores :P. And you seem to hate sequels that have nude women falling out of helicopters being chased by police dogs and having a twist in the end... ;)

Now, back to seriousness... I noticed that none of the parameters really give a good fit to your ratings, causing the final fit also not to be that great. I strongly suspect the reason behind this is that you have a rather unvaried system for rating your movies. You rated roughly 25% of your movies as '75' and roughly 20% of your movies as '70'. This means that my system doesn't have a good way to approach your ratings. I would suggest that you differentiate more in your ratings, using the full scale from 0 to 100 and trying to repeat ratings as little as possible. With almost 1100 movies that could be a pretty big task, I realize, but I think you will get better results both with Criticker's PSI as well as my recommendations system if you try to do this.

My own top 20 keywords turned out to be the following:
  • Top 10: No Opening Credits, Murder, Shot in the Head, Blood Splatter, Epic, Based on Novel, Female Nudity, Violence, Tragedy, Flashback Sequence
  • Bottom 10: Humor, Kids & Family, Character Name in Title, Dog, Remake, New York, Person on Fire, Brother-Sister Relationship, New York City, Mother-Son Relationship

Apparently I like epic movies based on novels that have nude women being shot in the head during a flashback sequence. And apparently I hate comedy remakes about kids being on fire in New York City and having a relationship with their brothers and sisters. Quite insightful, eh? :D

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

AFlickering,
Your top 20 keywords are the following:
  • Top 10: Surreal, Neo-Noir, Psychological Drama, Black Comedy, Hotel, Beach, Cult Favorite, Restaurant, Dream, River
  • Bottom 10: Blockbuster, Sequel, Character Name in Title, Helicopter, Kids & Family, Dog, Death, Fall from Height, Maritial Arts, Twist in the End

You can find an updated recommendations list for you at http://thequicky.net/files/aflickering- ... tions2.pdf

If there's anybody else who would like a personalized list, let me know :).

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I wouldn't like to bother, but considering you already have my info, could you show me my top/worst keywords? I'm a bit curious about that one ;).

AFlickering
3000 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

Cheers again for the info, fascinating...

Quicky wrote:[*]Bottom 10: Death

One complaint: my 10th tier is dominated by films either about or involving lots of death ;)

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

KGB wrote:I wouldn't like to bother, but considering you already have my info, could you show me my top/worst keywords? I'm a bit curious about that one ;).

Sure, but I think you already changed your password again, right? My program needs to update your data in order to work.

AFlickering wrote:[...]
Quicky wrote:[*]Bottom 10: Death

One complaint: my 10th tier is dominated by films either about or involving lots of death ;)

Hmm... interesting. Apparently you must have a lot of movies in your lower tiers as well that counter the ones in your 10th tier. You also have to realize that the keyword parameter uses a lot more than just the top and bottom 10 keywords. It uses all keywords that were present in more than roughly 2% of your rated movies. I think for you that was about 750 keywords or so.

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Hi Quicky,

Thanks for your effort, this is fantastic! A lot of your info is spot-on (I like gritty long movies/documetaries about history/war. Generally I don't like comedies). Also the keywords are funny, I do own a large movie-collection about serial-killers and WW2, and all the Tarantino movies...

I know I need to rearrange my ratings between 70 and 75, it upsets the criticker-PSI-calculation now, but it's a lot of work.... :(

I also noticed from the PDF I have a preference for Arthouse & Drama movies, which is correct.

Thanks again, it's fascinating info.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

KGB wrote:I wouldn't like to bother, but considering you already have my info, could you show me my top/worst keywords? I'm a bit curious about that one ;).

Your top keywords:
  • Top 10: Surreal, Cult Favorite, Black Comedy, Vulgarity, Satire, Violence, Shot in the Head, Narration, Neo-Noir, Tragedy
  • Bottom 10: Kids & Family, Sequel, Martial Arts, Character Name in Title, Helicopter, Remake, Product Placement, Father-Son Relationship, Dog, Fall from Height

You can find your updated recommendations list at http://thequicky.net/files/kgb-qmdb-rec ... tions2.pdf

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

I might have made a mistake with some of your keywords. I automated the process now and made a nice info page to go before the recommendations lists.

Here's your updated ones:
AFlickering: http://thequicky.net/files/aflickering- ... tions3.pdf
KGB: http://thequicky.net/files/kgb-qmdb-rec ... tions3.pdf
Myself in case someone's interested: http://thequicky.net/files/tijl-qmdb-re ... ations.pdf
td888: you already changed your password again :).

Screenshot:

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I was thinking earlier about how much films rated higher than Criticker PSIs and IMDb's ratings must tell about a viewer's personality. And possibly how key words might relate to this.

Quicky, are you currently using Keywords as a factor in recommendation percentage?

It's just that I would generally go about 1.0 below an IMDb score with my rankings. I wouldn't mind betting with anomalies to this (films I consider under and overrated), keywords have relevance.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Yes, the program does use keywords as a factor in the recommendations. Currently and for the 5 people I've been doing this with, it resulted in a percentage between 11% and 27%, depending on what my program considered to be the best fit.

For now, while checking the keywords, I've only been comparing the rating you gave for a movie with your average rating. So if you rated all your movies with the keyword 'death' with an 80 or higher, that would mean my program thinks you like the keyword 'death'. It could indeed be interesting, not to compare with your own average rating, but with the ones on IMDB for example. Then having rated all 'death' movies with an 80 or higher wouldn't necessarily mean you really like that keyword if the IMDB ratings for these movies were also very high. Doing it this way will be a lot more complex, though I think it's worth checking out some time. Thanks for the idea :).

[EDIT] This is actually a really good idea, and I've already an idea on how to do it. I don't know if it'll make the recommendations better, but it should certainly be more relevant, and people will probably identify better with their top and bottom keywords, because the keywords are then compared with the average user and not with the average rating. [/EDIT]

You don't want your recommendations checked out? :P