How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
KGB
1335 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How Criticker fits into my personal movie recommendations...

Post by KGB »

Well, it's at 17%, which is in this moment 103 films, which I think is enough... I guess I'm just your average film buff. :|

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

yeah mine's at 25

CCLZA
3806 Ratings

Post by CCLZA »

Yeah I agree that Criticker doesn't work as well for everyone. I have the luck to have my top TCI at 1.06, despite the high amount of films needed to be among my TCIs, 36% - 370 films. I realized that with a lower % the PSIs weren't as good as now. My lowest TCI in the top10 is 1.3.

I get your point.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Well, I changed my number of films in common to 30%, which is 181 films, hoping for more acurracy. My lowest TCIs are still very low, though. :D
Still, I honestly don't see how many TCIs could possibly share 370 films with you. Especially considering most users (like me) don't even reach the 700 rankings.

CCLZA
3806 Ratings

Post by CCLZA »

KGB wrote:Well, I changed my number of films in common to 30%, which is 181 films, hoping for more acurracy. My lowest TCIs are still very low, though. :D
Still, I honestly don't see how many TCIs could possibly share 370 films with you. Especially considering most users (like me) don't even reach the 700 rankings.

Well, see it this way: It's better to gather people that have a similar taste with you in a high number of films (like 370 or more), than a similar taste with you in fewer films. If I had a lower percentage to make TCIs, then people that I share 100 films with would be placed in the same level as those that I have 400 films with. I noticed this a year ago and changed it.

My TCIs are quite low anyway at 36%, my #1 is at 1.07 and my #10 is at 1.34 :D

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

A-ha. I see it now.
Well, if you manage that low TCIs on such a high number of films, than I guess Criticker must work very well for you, so it really doesn't matter if only a small number of users contribute to your PSI.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

I have kept working on improving my movie recommendations and how they're calculated, and now that I've noticed that Criticker really needs up-to-date TCI's to work well (see my other thread TCI Regenerating), the importance of Criticker PSI's in my recommendations system has gone up from 23% to 47%, while IMDB has gone down from 29% to 16%. While this showed that I was wrong when I said my system proved that IMDB can be more useful than Criticker ;), this does prove that Criticker doesn't show its full potential until you update all your TCI's (every single one of those 13,000).

I have also worked on making it possible to easily import data from other Criticker users. I suggested Criticker to a friend of mine (Bosmarmot), and I have used his data to calculate his own personal recommendations. For him Criticker works even better than for me (57%).

Because I'd like to have some more input on how well or how badly my system works for other people besides me and my friend, I would like to ask if there are people here who would like to volunteer to try out my recommendations. It will take me about a day or so to update all your TCI's and import all your PSI's and ratings (3 or 4 hours), check for movies you've seen that I don't have in my database yet (1 hour), and generate the recommendations for you (30 mins). So in about a day you should get a recommendations list that was made personally to your movie taste, like this:

The annoying thing is that I need your Criticker password in order to update all of your TCI's and download all the necessary data to my computer, since Criticker does not allow me to update other people's TCI's and 'see' the PSI's of movies for other users than myself. By all means, if you don't trust I will use this info to provide you with these recommendations and *only* that, then don't give me your password. But if you're curious enough and would like me to calculate a list like the above for you, I would suggest you change your password and drop me an e-mail at criticker[at]thequicky[dot]net or send me a message through Criticker so that I can download all the data.

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Hi Quicky,

I'm sure interested, but this week I'm out-of-touch with the i'net (travelling). I'll contact you next week to give this a try.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

td888 wrote:Hi Quicky,

I'm sure interested, but this week I'm out-of-touch with the i'net (travelling). I'll contact you next week to give this a try.

**shrugs**, 1078 rated movies, eh? Ok, maybe for you it'll take a bit longer than 1 hour to add all the new movies to my database :D. But no problem ;).

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Nobody else interested?... :|