What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1636 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Post by dardan »

1. Star Wars Trilogy (Part 4/6), because it still has a massive movement that spends millions on shitty merchandise related to it.

2. Zero Dark Thirty (2012): Bigelow and the American public got played by the CIA, with the former maybe even willingly. Will end up in multiple documentaries a decade or two from now to show what was wrong with America. The subtleties with which this movie attempts to justify torture and overwrite history, which had to have been intentional, are gut-wrenching and lead, for the first time ever in my life, to me having to stop watching it. The arabs being dehumanized and the CIA glorified (being on top attitude) also played a role in me having to stop watching. People ranking this movie highly should be mildly ashamed of their ignorance. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/government-elections-politics/secrets-politics-and-torture/watch-how-the-cia-helped-make-zero-dark-thirty/.

3. The Great Dictator (1940): The historical significance and the last few minutes, of which the latter is completely out of tune with the rest of the movie, redeem it somewhat. I have a hard time understanding whether my TCI's really thought this was a good movie other than for its historical significance. By the latter I mean that I have seen some mini-reviews stating how powerful the portrayal of Hitler and the Barber were, but to me they were extremely superficial to an almost propagandic extent. Yes, the movie has value for it being a capsule of the zeitgeist back then, but most of the movie to me was meandering superficial comedy and was bored most of the time watching it.

4. Modern Times (1936): At first it was hard to rate charlie chaplin movies because of everyone else seemingly rating and giving it slack it on the basis of its historical significance. In the end most Chaplin movies are little more than factory production of an unfortunate or poor and oblivious man trying to find love with the same routines and structures that for me fail in their comedic intent. Again, many praise it for its powerful message. What? No. As someone who has adopted some ideas from marxism: The marxist commentary wasn't that original or historically unique, and it wasn't executed in some profound manner. It was and still is horribly superficial.

5. Die Hard (1988)
6. Artificial Intelligence (2001): Horribly contrived and shitty acting.
7. Jaws (1975)
8. Before Sunset/Midnight trilogy: too clichéd and didn't buy into their supposed chemistry.
9. Lost in Translation (2003): The theme of 'lost in translation' sometimes being explicit to the point of incredulity and its failed attempts at naturalism are painful to watch.

10. V for Vendetta (2006): The knowledge of this film being popular to the point idolization (guy fawkes mask) added to the cringe this film was limited to provoking. Espouses more propagandic simplifications and views than those it purports to criticize, and of course there is the at this point embarrassing star-wars inspired trope of invincibility (one guy with nothing but knives killing a dozen despite being shot dozens of times). I don't know if this managed to anthropomorphize the meme of guy with a fedora, caused it or both, but none of these possibilities are worthy of praise.

alemao
1851 Ratings

Post by alemao »

Star wars (All Episodes)
Star Trek (2009)
The Matrix (1999)
The Green Mile (1999)
Gladiator (2000)
Die Hard 1,2 etc.
Gone With the Wind (1939)
Ben-Hur (1959)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

BAD STUPID OPINION HERE

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

djross wrote:A page of overrated movies: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e6014

With the addition of Annihilation, this now contains precisely 100 movies (or in other words, 40 further films have been added in a little under five years).

joelwatchesmovies
983 Ratings

Post by joelwatchesmovies »

Did a post on this on my blog, so here's a shameless plug:

https://joelwatchesmovies.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/top-10-overrated-films/

Calculated it based off the difference between my score and the film's score on IMDb. The top 10:

10. The Untouchables
9. Big Hero 6
8. Night of the Living Dead
7. Forbidden Planet
6. The Empire Strikes Back
5. Halloween
4. Return of the Jedi
3. Batman (1989)
2. Dazed and Confused
1. The Sweet Hereafter

luckyxiii
496 Ratings

Post by luckyxiii »

In no particular order:

Joe Versus the Volcano (wake me when it's over)
Fata Morgana (huh?)
Owning Mahowny (at least 20 minutes too long, for starters)
(Bram Stoker's) Dracula (the worst offense a movie can commit is to be boring and this does that in spades)
Chicago (when my favourite thing about a movie is Richard Gere, hoo boy)
Sideways (please don't make me hate the protagonist)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (don't let Michael Cera play anything resembling an adult, please)
Philadelphia (not that bad, but still overrated)
Gosford Park (something about Altman disagrees with me, to be honest, except, for some reason, A Prairie Home Companion)
The Crying Game (I figured out the Big Secret within a few minutes because I had watched Sleepaway Camp as a teenager; sorry if I've spoiled Sleepaway Camp for you)

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

first one off the top of my head : Citizen Kane.

Next from memory are basically every Fellini movie with widespread recognition. Including : 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, and La Strada.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

L'avventura
Baby Driver
La Dolce Vita
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
Andrei Rublev
Cries and Whispers
The Fountain
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Young Frankenstein

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Not going to be a list of 10 but here are some off the top of my head.

Star Wars Prequels and The Last Jedi- The prequels were not necessary stories to be told and The Last Jedi in my opinion was just not a great continuation to the series. It was boring, pacing was off and the storylines just did not play out how they should have.

Batman Vs Superman- This was explained as the greatest gladiator fight in cinematic history and it just failed on so many levels. Fighting and then randomly stopping after mentioning the name Martha. What fresh ridiculousness was that? And the pacing was just so bad during the first half.

Avatar- The most over rated movie to have so much money. There was nothing redeeming about this movie other than it was specifically designed for 3D and it looked good. There was no story, wooden acting and a very thin thread for future movies which of course we will be getting three more sequels.

Citizen Kane- Often praised as the greatest film of all time I felt like it was pretentious and uncomfortable. It does not really tell a well thought out story and the whole Rosebud thing feels more like a gimmick than a serious attempt at Drama.

The Dark Knight Rises- After Heath Ledgers turn in TDK it was all but certain the thrilling conclusion could not be as good as the middle part of the trilogy. However no one expected a villain you couldnt even understand and a super over dramatic ending that did not serve the characters well.

No Country For Old Men- Just nothing engaging about this film. It was probably my least favorite best picture winner out of all the films I have seen. Its not the fault of the actors but this movie is a just a miss on all fronts.

aross
1465 Ratings

Post by aross »

10. Big Fish
9. 500 Days of Summer
8. The Hunger Games Series
7. The Bridge on the River Kwai
6. Kill Bill
5. The Princess Bride
4. Crash
3. Bonnie and Clyde
2. Amadeus
1. A Clockwork Orange