What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
AAAutin
7407 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Post by AAAutin »

The Deer Looper? Rian Johnson totally should have gone with Walken instead of Willis...

afx237vi
810 Ratings

Post by afx237vi »

TheDenizen wrote:Once Upon a Time in the West and The Wild Bunch on people's lists :(

Pretty much the two greatest westerns ever made. I can understand if you just can't stand any westerns, I suppose....but still... :|

Once Upon a Time in the West is in my tier 10, but here's my review of The Wild Bunch:

Can't say that this one struck much of a chord with me. It covers a lot of familiar Western themes - the encroachment of modernity leaving no room for the honourable outlaw and so on - but the pacing and the story just left me cold. Robert Ryan's character seems totally superfluous to the rest of the narrative and the lighter, more humorous moments didn't mix well with the grimy violence. The two main action sequences are worth a watch, but overall I found it fairly disappointing.

OUATITW has that amazing Morricone score, which ramps the tension up to ridiculous levels even when not much is happening to move the story forward. Can't say the same for the Wild Bunch.

Okkervil
3626 Ratings

Post by Okkervil »

Most Contentious Rankings list (ordered by ranking gap):

1. Out of Sight
2. The Hunt for Red October
3. Love Actually
4. Flatliners
5. The Full Monty
6. March of the Penguins
7. From Russia With Love
8. The Kids Are All Right
9. E.T
10. Finding Neverland

IMDb Top 250

1. American Beauty
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
3. Schinder's List
4. The Green Mile
5. Snatch
6. The Wizard of Oz
7. Mystic River
8. The King's Speech
9. A Streetcar Named Desire
10. The Thing

To be fair most of the films on the IMDb list I think are good movies. I just didn't rate them perhaps as high as general consensus did.
Last edited by Okkervil on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

1. Searchers - badly written, woodenly acted, with awful music, poorly montaged in many scenes - I'd say it can be compared with Ed Wood films (except for the cinematography which was pretty good). How this is considered to be one of the best westerns ever made is absolutely beyond me.
2. Singin in the Rain - well I'm not a big fan of musicals in the first place, but it was really extremely dreadful experience for me. Actually when my mother saw me watching this, she said she's never seen such a disgusted look on my face. :lol:
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - if you read my posts you probably know already how much I hate most of the Spielberg's output
4. Pierrot le fou - Godard is a hit or miss for me
5. La Notte - maybe it's not really that bad, but personally Antonioni just bores me to death
6. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Here's the whole scipt:
- preparing for abortion
- abortion
- throwing out the embryo
The end
7. The Day the Earth Stood Still - "Welcome Earthlings. I come in peace and I demand you to change your whole planet into a repressive police state or you'll be destroyed."
8. Creepshow - well it isn't regarded as masterpiece of course, but it's one of the most well known and liked 80s horror while there are tens or maybe even hundreds of better horrors from that era.
9. Inception - not really a bad film, but it's really mediocre action film with the most undreamy dream sequences I've seen.
10. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - meh, not even worth writing more about it.

Honorable mention: Sholay - Most of the world fortunately doesn't know about it, but lol at the people from India who claim that it's the best film made in their country. :lol:

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Wow, you really love this film. Sure some jokes were probably lost during translation, but even considering that this film just overally feels to cheesy to be considered a great film for me. It just feels like one of these crowd-pleasers that almost every nation has. It reminded me of my Russian friend who told me that every christmas in Russian tv they show "Ironiya sudby" and everybody knows and loves that. I saw that and in reality it's a completely mediocre and overlong romance film. But I can understand it - everybody there remembers it from their childhood so it probably gives them this nostalgic feeling and they just like watching this. Maybe with "Sholay" it's a similar case. Or maybe our cultures are just too different. And looking at your rankings I'm not really surprised that we disagree so much on this film since we really have a lot of 7-9 tier differences.

wadalklakla
762 Ratings

Post by wadalklakla »

In Order
1- There Will Be Blood (2007)
2- Pulp Fiction (1994)
3- Jarhead (2005)
4- The Aviator (2004)
5- The Hangover (2009)
6- Drive (2011)
7- Sin City (2005)
8- Forrest Gump (1994)
9- Children of Men (2006)
10- Memento (2001)

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

movieboy wrote:
But hey - you liked http://www.criticker.com/film/A_Wednesday which I recommended :-)

Well, we can't disagree on everything. :D

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

For the most part, I actually like all of these movies. Just not as much as everyone else.

Overrated on IMDb's Top 250:

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc
2. Persona
3. Nosferatu
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Notorious
6. Monsters, Inc.
7. Million Dollar Baby
8. Hotel Rwanda
9. Green Mile
10. Rosemary's Baby
11. How to Train Your Dragon
12. Reservoir Dogs
13. Rebecca
14. Life of Brian
15. Donnie Darko
16. Scarface
17. Howl's Moving Castle
18. Star Trek
19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt. 2
20. Gran Torino

Overrated by Criticker (Stand-up comedy and shorts excluded):
1. Barton Fink
2. 8 1/2
3. The Passion of Joan of Arc
4. Shadow of a Doubt
5. Persona
6. No Country for Old Men
7. Notorious
8. Rosemary's Baby
9. Withnail & I
10. Nosferatu
11. Grizzly Man
12. Synecdoche, New York
13. Animal Crackers
14. Rebecca
15. Hotel Rwanda
16. Frankenstein
17. The Green Mile
18. How to Train Your Dragon
19. Reservoir Dogs
20. Drive

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I've ranked 9 films with a 6+ tier difference compared to user "imdb":

9. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (My mini-review: "Sappy and outdated, but watchable thanks to a sensitive performance from Poitier.")

8. Dirty Harry

7. The Maltese Falcon (1931) (I wonder if idiots who've seen the 1941 version rank this by mistake.)

6. Rebel Without a Cause

5. The Shining

4. The Flight of the Phoenix (My mini-review: "Too long and boring despite its impressive ensemble cast.")

3. The Party

2. Blazing Saddles

1. A Clockwork Orange (My mini-review: "Morally questionable film with gratuitous sex and violence.")

Zozan
1569 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

movieboy wrote:For me, that's not the case. I have seen the movie close to 15 times. I have no nostalgia about the movie - I just think the movie is perfect. I don't even think that the movie was great because of the times it was made in - I just think that even today it would be classic.

I dont see this Sholay movie among your rankings. Why so?