What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: What are your top 10 most overrated movies?

Post by TheDenizen »

Once Upon a Time in the West and The Wild Bunch on people's lists :(

Pretty much the two greatest westerns ever made. I can understand if you just can't stand any westerns, I suppose....but still... :|

Svengali
1540 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

TheDenizen wrote:Once Upon a Time in the West and The Wild Bunch on people's lists :(

Pretty much the two greatest westerns ever made. I can understand if you just can't stand any westerns, I suppose....but still... :|

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a tier 10 film for me but Once Upon a Time in the West was jsut so boring and dull, Leone failed big time with that one in my opinion. I can understand that he tried to go for this slow and hypnotic atmosphere with lots of character but it all seemed to stupid and silly to me.

matGuy3
565 Ratings

Post by matGuy3 »

The Matrix
All the Star Wars films
Forrest Gump
Blade Runner

Svengali
1540 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

movieboy wrote:
TheDenizen wrote:Once Upon a Time in the West and The Wild Bunch on people's lists :(

Western is not my favourite genre but I don't particularly dislike it - just that I haven't seen too many (though I have read tons of cowboy comics when I was a kid).

I found Once upon a Time in the West to be painfully slow - that was my biggest grouse with the movie - I liked the story, the actors and the acting.

This is my mini-review
Long pauses & people walking slowly permeate what could have been a good movie. Editing 20 minutes of these zero value scenes would have given you a nice, tight movie.

I don't mind slow, one of my highest rated movies is goddamn Satantango but the slowness and the atmosphere felt forced in my opinion. Not every goddam moment needs to be elevated to super tense heights with harmonica and close-ups of eyes.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Zeitgeist: The Movie
Paranormal Activity
The Curios Case of Benjamin Button
An Education
All the Transformers films (can extrapolate to pretty much anything made by Michael Bay)
An Inconvenient Truth
Into the Wild (minus the soundtrack)
Inception
Forrest Gump
Some of these are actually good movies(some I like and some I dislike), but just think are overrated, and some are crap that lots of people (even if it isn't people on criticker or IMDB) will rave about. Specifically the first two films on the list. I'm always baffled when people still mention how scary Paranormal Activity was and how great it was for such a low budget. And I'm always saddened when people (and I am in college so this happens more than it should) start raving about their eyes were opened by Zeitgeist and how fantastic it was.

stuie299
1451 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

Hmm...a lot of people are picking Christopher Nolan films. I really don't get that. IMO he does a great job of blending quality film making with mainstream accessibility. Plus a lot of his movies have actors I really like: Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robin Williams. I even didn't mind Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, and Hillary Swank who I normally don't care for.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

OUATITW is definitely paced very deliberately...but I never found it boring for one second. I absolutely loved the opening 10 minute long scene of three killers silently waiting for a train, and it just kept getting better after that.

Diff'rent strokes I guess. ;)

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

From IMDB top 250

Tier 2 Films
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) 30
The Departed (2006) 30
Hugo (2011) 30
Batman Begins (2005) 29
Donnie Darko (2001) 25
There Will Be Blood (2007) 25
Drive (2011) 20
Snatch (2000) 20
Zombieland (2009) 20

Tier 1 Films
Léon: The Professional (1994) 18
Pulp Fiction (1994) 14
Amélie (2001) 10
Coraline (2009) 10
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003) 10
Kill Bill: Volume 2 (2004) 5

Honorable mention for the Dark Knight, just because it is so near the top of IMDB 250 and I thought it was really lame except for the opening scene. Also honorable mention for Lawrence of Arabia and Pan's Labyrinth.

AAAutin
7413 Ratings

Post by AAAutin »

According to my Most Contentious Rankings list (ordered by ranking gap):

10.) THE DEER HUNTER
09.) MY DINNER WITH ANDRE
08.) DANCER IN THE DARK
07.) HANNAH & HER SISTERS
06.) MILLER'S CROSSING
05.) SUNSET BOULEVARD
04.) FORREST GUMP
03.) DEAD MAN
02.) CASABLANCA
01.) 8 ½

According to the IMDb Top 250 (ordered by personal ranking):

10.) SUNSET BOULEVARD
09.) GOOD WILL HUNTING
08.) THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
07.) THE DEER HUNTER
06.) KILL BILL: VOLUME 1
05.) CASABLANCA
04.) BIG FISH
03.) MONSTERS, INC.
02.) FORREST GUMP
01.) 8 ½

(Apparently, I have a philosophical hang-up with hunting, as a concept.)

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I could watch The Deer Hunter on a continuous loop. :D