Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Pickpocket
3024 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by Pickpocket »

House of Cards is fantastic

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

Pickpocket wrote:House of Cards is fantastic

Great! I've been meaning to watch it. I do have Netflix, after all.

tonydal
2316 Ratings

Post by tonydal »

Congratulations, you guys. This is the usual sort of pompous crap I expect from the net.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

tonydal wrote:Congratulations, you guys. This is the usual sort of pompous crap I expect from the net.

Appreciate the irrelevant contribution, to which I will add:

I think cable channels have found their niche with tv series that are sometimes a cut above the broadcast fare. However, I refuse to pay for it, preferring to reserve those entertainment dollars (and time) for movies.

As for the broadcast candidates, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned House, or it's likely and apparently worthy successor, Elementary.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

A new series of Black Mirror has recently begun in the UK.

Excelsior
1623 Ratings

Post by Excelsior »

The Wire is a masterpiece and is absolutely perfect with dialogue and plot.
Deadwood is overrated, obnoxious, smugly self-important, and decent. The first season is worth watching, though.
Breaking Bad has a slow start but once it gets going, it becomes fully engaging, tense, etc.
Walking Dead is abhorrent with stereotypical and/or flat characters and passable acting, at best.
Mad Men is pretty great. A terrific script, complex characters, and terrific chemistry among the cast.
I'm still watching The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica.

Guaporense
1519 Ratings

Post by Guaporense »

Best TV series ever made still is Babylon 5. It is the only TV series that plays like an epic science fiction novel. Very complex plot developments over several seasons that deal with very complex ideas. One of the pinnacles of science fiction.

Besides Babylon 5, the following TV series were also the most interesting I ever watched:

- Battlestar Galactica
- Breaking Bad
- Rome
- Band of Brothers
- The Sopranos
- Evangelion (anime series, one of the most famous ones that I gave a try, it can be extremely powerful if you are able to "get it")

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Guaporense wrote:Best TV series ever made still is Babylon 5. It is the only TV series that plays like an epic science fiction novel. Very complex plot developments over several seasons that deal with very complex ideas. One of the pinnacles of science fiction.

Besides Babylon 5, the following TV series were also the most interesting I ever watched:

Huh, I always viewed Babylon 5 as a trashy, lowbrow, poorly-written (yes, I'm aware Harlan Ellison was partially involved, so what?) sci-fi soap opera with pathetically bad acting.

Like a poor man's version of the original Star Trek with none of the retro charm and unintentional humor.

On a different note, I have now watched up to episode 4 of season 4 of Mad Men, and a few nitpicks and small weaknesses aside, I can confidently state it's the best dramatic television show I have seen by a country mile.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

The Returned I'm really enjoying this on tv at the moment with it's post-Twin Peaks visuals and wonderful music.

Spiral
Only being familiar with anglo legal systems this was really exotic and interesting for a crime procedural.

Luther
Great brains-not-required watch. It takes all the cliches of crime dramas and turns them up;

Brilliant detective with dysfunctional family life -very brilliant and very dysfunctional, that office gets trashed alot.
Shouty superior officer-Very shouty (with a wonderfully over-the-top cor blimey accent in season 1)
Creepy killers -very sadistic for tv

Keeping it from being just cartoony trash are some little touches which show they've worked with real police, some good cinematography, South London in s1 and the East End for 2 and 3 and some interesting little subversions and red herrings;

Series 1
[spoiler]Sets up cat and mouse game with a killer (Alice) which he then befriends[/spoiler]
Series 3
[spoiler]Sets up big internal affairs plotline then cuts it down in episode 2[/spoiler]

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I just finished watching Vikings. I liked it. Especially the haircuts. Course, I'm a fan of vikings in general. I loved the 13th Warrior, for example. Copper has been pretty good, too. It's just started with a second season. The BBC had The Hour, which features Dominic West from The Wire and Ben Whishaw, that fantastic actor that played Q in Skyfall. It's sorta like HBO's the Newsroom meets Madmen. Kinda.