Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by ShogunRua »

TBW wrote:Interesting. Perhaps I'm wasting my time looking for movie recommendations from people of similar taste on this site? :-) I say that because I looked through 20 or 30 of the responses and didn't see even listed. Many of the series that are listed I've never seen. I guess I don't really watch that much TV. So...

1) Lost. By far my favorite series ever, especially the first two seasons. I would often watch this show "live" and put up with commercials because I couldn't wait to see what they came up with next.

2) Well, I can't really put anything clearly into second. Things I've liked that I can remember:

Downton Abbey - very very good. This is probably the clear #2 for me, that I can think of anyway
Game of Thrones - season 1 & 2, kind of lost me after that
The Killing - first series of episodes (season?), then it completely lost me
Elementary - For things currently on TV, this one is usually pretty watchable

Notes on other series I've tried to watch
Walking Dead - my daughter got me to try this, couldn't take anymore of the same thing after 4 or 5 episodes
Mad Men - my wife loved this. Pretty much bored me to death, and I didn't care what happened to any character
Scandal - another one my wife watches. I think it's awful.
How To Get Away With Murder - even worse than Scandal

I really have no interest in spending time to watch anything that glorifies or otherwise primarily focuses on the scum of the earth. So The Sopranos didn't do it for me and I'll never even try Breaking Bad, even if everyone else says it's the greatest thing ever created. I somehow think I can live without that one.

I find it really odd that you're into Downton Abbey but not Mad Men.

Downton Abbey, while I like it too, is essentially a dumbed-down, less interesting, more melodramatic version of Mad Men with a different historical setting.

klea
1941 Ratings

Post by klea »

Best show that nobody ever talks about (at least here in America) is Peaky Blinders

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ezpkns34 wrote:Best show that nobody ever talks about (at least here in America) is Peaky Blinders

I just heard about this show last week and I'm dying to catch it. Looks incredible

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

My father mentioned Peaky Blinders to me tonight. He said that he and my mom watched it and loved it. I don't know anything about it other than it's British.

My wife is British and she had never heard of it, so it must be relatively new, eh?

Have I mentioned Vikings in here yet? Personal opinion, but I think it's the best thing currently on television.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. Possibly the single greatest, grossest, and funniest version of kidnapped princess/president's daughter for ransom. The Netflix description was Twilight Zone-esque in relation to modern technology. Can't speak to any other episode, but I had to share because it really was some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

Paxton
3660 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

CMonster wrote:Just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. Possibly the single greatest, grossest, and funniest version of kidnapped princess/president's daughter for ransom. The Netflix description was Twilight Zone-esque in relation to modern technology. Can't speak to any other episode, but I had to share because it really was some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

Stick with it. The second episode was my favorite.

Barthalen
2710 Ratings

Post by Barthalen »

Nice. Every Black Mirror episode has its own unique feel and setting, and the quality (in my opinion) remains pretty constant. I recently watched the Black Mirror Christmas Special and it's just as deliciously misanthropic as the rest. In a perfect world this show would have seasons of more than 3 episodes. One can only dream...

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I finally got around to seeing Black Mirror. I'm not done with the series yet, but I'm fairly certain I can already put it in my top 3 favorite dramatic series (if it can even truly be called a series). "Deliciously misanthropic" is the most apt description I think anybody could ever come up with for it. Thanks all for putting the series on my radar.

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

Black Mirror makes me think about Jam (old "comedy" series), not because the two are similar in style or substance, but perhaps because they both produce a i'm-hot-sticky-uncomfortable-so-kind-of-want-to-get-up-and-do-something-else-but-can't-seem-to-switch-off-or-look-away sort of feeling. I suppose black comedy is effective.

I had a brief saunter through this thread. Not enough Fargo hype. I really enjoyed the first installment, I hear there's a follow-up on its way, another stand alone story line. Hype!