Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind

lisa-
1907 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by lisa- »

i am excited, and i haven't even seen twin peaks.

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

movieboy wrote:I watched the first 4 episodes of Season 1 Breaking Bad. I found it to be OK, nothing special till now. Is it worth going ahead - does it get better? How many episodes/seasons before it becomes better?

Personally, I don't think it gets good until the later half of Season 3. I wasn't a fan of Season 1 either. Season 4 is by far the best. Season 5 (Part 1 and 2) are okay.

Then again, I'm an outlier and don't like the show all that much.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Suture Self wrote:
movieboy wrote:I watched the first 4 episodes of Season 1 Breaking Bad. I found it to be OK, nothing special till now. Is it worth going ahead - does it get better? How many episodes/seasons before it becomes better?

Personally, I don't think it gets good until the later half of Season 3. I wasn't a fan of Season 1 either. Season 4 is by far the best. Season 5 (Part 1 and 2) are okay.

As on opinion on the other side, I think seasons 1 and 2 were my favorite, 3 was the worst, with 4 and 5 both being really good, but getting really over the top compared to the rest. I will also say that each season the show takes a step to be bigger and the tone shifts (in small but noticeable ways) so you might start liking it more or less later depending on your taste.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

CMonster wrote:
Suture Self wrote:

As on opinion on the other side, I think seasons 1 and 2 were my favorite, 3 was the worst, with 4 and 5 both being really good, but getting really over the top compared to the rest. I will also say that each season the show takes a step to be bigger and the tone shifts (in small but noticeable ways) so you might start liking it more or less later depending on your taste.

I agree that season 3 was the weakest. As for seasons 1/2 v. 4/5, I think it depends on what you like more. In seasons 1/2, the story didn't require too much suspension of disbelief. It was smaller scale and felt like it was within the realm of possibility, but still wild enough to be really exciting and entertaining. The weakness in the earlier seasons were the supporting characters and their lack of development. Seasons 4 and 5 ratcheted up the story so that it was wildly unbelievable, but it wasn't so ridiculous that it couldn't be enjoyed. The real strength of those seasons was how interesting each* of the major characters were, and how interesting their arcs had become over the series.

*Excluding the son, obviously.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

That was roughly my impression of the first 4 episodes, too. I stuck it out until the middle of Season 2, then dropped it. Chances are that if you're not enjoying it now, you won't at any point later on.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite series of all time, simply because it keeps increasing the intensity right up until the end. It gives you the crazy memorable television moments while still having a plot line that is believable. I did enjoy season 5 because it brought a solid well executed conclusion to the show but I think it would have been a bolder decision from a storytelling perspective to end after season 4.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

movieboy wrote:I just found a mini-review by CMonster where he rants about Jim Parsons and Big Bang Theory - and it was in a mini-review of a different series :-)

https://www.criticker.com/tv/Becker/rating/cmonster/

Glad you enjoyed. Jim Parsons is the worst.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Friday Night Lights

never heard of it before yesterday.

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »