contemplative endings

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
adrian
937 Ratings
Your TCI: na

contemplative endings

Post by adrian »

Someone's comments on the "final lines" thread got me wondering about movies with contemplative endings, with no dialogue. Sort of like a reverse There Will Be Blood. My memory sucks though, so I can't think of any aside from maybe 2001.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: contemplative endings

Post by ShogunRua »

adrian wrote:Someone's comments on the "final lines" thread got me wondering about movies with contemplative endings, with no dialogue. Sort of like a reverse There Will Be Blood. My memory sucks though, so I can't think of any aside from maybe 2001.

My two favorite endings of all time are both of the contemplative kind, without any words;

1. Seven Beauties

2. Kanal

Don't want to spoil either of them, but suffice to say, that both end with very "simple" actions. And yet, with everything that has happened previously in the movie, they have a greater effect than an atom bomb blowing up.

cftvgy
715 Ratings

Post by cftvgy »

I have three bad examples that might lead you to think about how to differentiate "contemplative" endings:

Lord of the Rings: the ending of part 3 took about 45 minutes. I don't remember there being much voice-over, mostly smiles and hugs but it was really on-the-nose.

Meloncholia: Again, not deep, but very dramatic and without dialogue.

The Shawshank Redemption: Narrated without concluding what the outcome is (whether what you see is truth or fantasy is left to the viewer).

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

adrian wrote:Someone's comments on the "final lines" thread got me wondering about movies with contemplative endings, with no dialogue. Sort of like a reverse There Will Be Blood. My memory sucks though, so I can't think of any aside from maybe 2001.

Dr. Strangelove
Inception
Gladiator
Master & Commander
High Noon

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

beau travail

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Kurosawa's "Ran" has the best ending ever (and is my favorite movie). No dialog, just an image. So bleak.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I don't know if it can be considered contemplative, but I really liked the end of Bonnie and Clyde:
[spoiler]Bonnie and Clyde get shot the hell up, and then there is silence and the police walk up and just stare without saying a word[/spoiler]

W00DY
784 Ratings

Post by W00DY »

It's not quite the ending but the penultimate scene of Antonioni's "The Passenger" is amazing.

sebby
6293 Ratings

Post by sebby »

Surprised no one has mentioned Stalker.

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I love the ending to Citizen Ruth, one achieved with no dialogue but plenty of background noise.

[spoiler]Busting out the back window of an abortion clinic, Ruth quietly makes off with £15,000 of MC Gainey's money (that was promised to her if she went through with the process) as a furious confrontation between pro-life and pro-choice activists rages all around her. The very people who have made her a central figure of the national debate fail to recognise her as she walks past them all because they're too busy shouting insults and obscenities at each other. Just perfect.[/spoiler]