Letterboxd

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
snallygaster
1646 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Letterboxd

Post by snallygaster »

ShogunRua wrote:
bercutio wrote:
fakesenator wrote:This post has been deleted by the moderator staff.

First time I'm seeing this, wonder what he said :shock:

It's a joke. No one deleted/modded anything.

That's exactly what Clooney wants you all to believe.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Puahahaahahaahaha.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

I actually tried this before I settled on Criticker. There are a many advantages here;

Obviously there's the rating system freedom.
Privacy -the freedom to adopt and drop kumpels without hurting peoples feelings and to share or hide collections is cool.
When I tried it Letterboxd had no recommendation engine at all -Criticker's is really good.
Rank more films here on criticker made getting started really easy -Letterboxd was film by film when I looked.
Criticker lets us export our stuff, though I'll never go full freetard this data portability stuff pleases my inner neckbeard.
Concision - I take a look at the tv guide and can look up the films and get quick PSIs, blurbs etc from Criticker much more efficiently, from the phone app even -if I'm still having trouble deciding there's depth in kumpels reviews, user reviews and the forums.

There are others but, most importantly, Citicker has a 'hand-made', non-corporate 'feel' which I like -I can believe it came from a love of movies rather than a desire to impress investors. The owners are cool, taking suggestions and using a light touch with forum moderation and stuff. Long live Criticker.

Edit: Long live Criticker -and the Clooney Truth Movement.

Neonman
2884 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering whether I can be bothered starting up an account there and begin reviewing the films again (all 1304 of them), and I ain't paying $19 to nobody for nothing. Just by looking and casually browsing the site, it seems almost identical to Criticker, except with longer reviews and a more obnoxious site design -- it's too bad my film friends on Facebook and other movie forums don't know about the superior film-reviewing site.

SirStuckey
2880 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

Some things not mentioned.

Letterboxd has a diary feature so you can log what day you watched/rewatched certain movies. I believe you can write seperate reviews per rewatch but I haven't done that personally. It also gives you the ability to use whatever tags you want on movies.

Criticker makes it easier to see other people's random reviews that you are not friends with since they bring up x amount of reviews when you look up a movie.

Nearly everything else comes down to either aesthetic or if you want to write longer reviews. Besides the lists which I think look better on Letterboxd I prefer Criticker.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Ok, I've registered and tried it. First impressions:
Cons:
1. Site works rather slowly for me - when I enter some page pictures show immediately, but I have to wait ~5 seconds until the text shows up.
2. I generally hate reading bright letters on a dark background and don't see any option to change layout.
3. Weird way of adding new films - you have to register on another site, add film there, use their not very intuitive system of adding directors/actors to a film and than import back to Letterboxd.
4. I've mentioned it before - importing films from imdb/csv costs 19$. That's ridiculous!
5. Big pictures everywhere - it might look nice esthetically, but it's very inconvenient when browsing big lists of films. Criticker with it's 60 films per page is much more useful for me.

Pros:
1. Big userbase (films have about 2 times more votes than on Criticker).
2. Haven't used it much yet, but their "Diary" looks like a nice option.

Generally not a bad site, but certainly nothing worth abandoning Criticker for and as long as it doesn't have option for free ratings import I have no intention of using it.

Jehan
2310 Ratings

Post by Jehan »

I recently registered there, too, and plan to use both for the foreseeable future.
I do like the Diary, it's more convenient to see how many movies you saw that year, month, etc. Really, apart from that, it's basically the same, and in many ways (already mentioned in the thread) kinda worse than Criticker.

Dreamer
1012 Ratings

Post by Dreamer »

Ok, I had a quick look at Letterboxd and I don't think I will be using it. Here are my impressions:

Good:
1. Diary feature that let's you keep track of when you watched something. Far from essential, but a nice enough feature.
2. More users or at least more active users compared to Criticker.

Bad:
1. No recommendation engine! If you want personalized recommendations Letterboxd is not even an option.
2. Much less powerful searching/filtering. I could not find any way of e.g. searching for b&w British horror movies from the 60's.
3. There does not seem to be any option for a communal list, like Criticker's public collections, that many users can contribute to. This makes something like Criticker's "female director" collection with more than 2000 entries (or the "b-movie" collection or "boobs" or ...) completely impossible. There also does not seem to be any possibility of filtering by genre, year, etc. within a list. Not that many lists are long enough that this would be useful anyhow.
4. On Criticker the most starred reviews for a movie are generally useful. Not necessarily so for the most liked reviews on Letterboxd.

In conclusion, Criticker is much more powerful. Letterboxd is instead more aesthetically appealing and, probably largely for this reason, has more active users. The diary feature is nice, but not enough reason for me to use Letterboxd in addition to Criticker.

Proximity
845 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

Dreamer wrote:Ok, I had a quick look at Letterboxd and I don't think I will be using it. Here are my impressions:

come on bro get ur weewee out of my face

Dreamer
1012 Ratings

Post by Dreamer »

Proximity wrote:come on bro get ur weewee out of my face

Not sure whether I see your point bro.
Perhaps you are mistaking directness for arrogance??