Letterboxd

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Proximity
845 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Letterboxd

Post by Proximity »

Dreamer wrote:
Proximity wrote:come on bro get ur weewee out of my face

Not sure whether I see your point bro.
Perhaps you are mistaking directness for arrogance??

stop hitting me with that pp

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I've been using letterboxd for 6 months now and I thought I'd share my opinions.

Letterboxd:

+ Better UI, layout, graphic design
+ Better Social Features (Not of much importance to me, since I only know one of other person who has an account, but if you hang out with a lot of film buffs, might be good)
+ Ability to comment directly on lists and reviews.
+ Ability to add tags to lists you've made, making them searchable by topic or theme.
+ Larger Active Userbase
+ Ability to mark films that you've seen without giving it a score, or to give written reviews without giving a score. (Minor, but still a nice touch)
+ Ability to record rewatches of a film, or write reviews of films for each time you watch, showing how your opinion of a film has changed over time.
+ Ability to mark and filter reviews by whether they contain spoilers or not.
+/- No character limit on reviews (Could be a positive or negative, depending on who you are)

Criticker:

+++ PSI and TCI (This is HUUUUUGE, and is obviously a huge part of why everyone uses criticker. Criticker's recommendation system is so much better than anything else I've ever encountered)
+ Tier system allows much more flexibility in how you rate films.
+ Criticker Forums (allows for much deeper discussion of films and filmmakers)
+ Public collections that can be edited by anyone.
+ Easier to browse films. Searching the database by various criteria is a pain in the neck on letterboxd.
+ Ability to review TV shows.
+ Much easier to talk directly with admin/owners, to report issues and provide suggestions, which is nice. Gives the site a mroe personal community-like feel to it.

I've been posting reviews to both sites for the past few months, but still definitely prefer criticker and consider it to be my "default" social film review site. I spend the bulk of my time here and then just occasionally jaunt over to letterboxd to re-post the mini-reviews I've written here.
Last edited by CosmicMonkey on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

The letterboxd import feature is free "for a limited time" if anyone wants to try it out. I was thinking of trying it myself but wasn't able to get the ratings import to work even after going through a bunch of conversions and whatnot and I don't see myself individual re-ranking thousands of movies. If anyone tries it and gets the import to work, let me know

HakkaMex
2017 Ratings

Post by HakkaMex »

CosmicMonkey wrote:+ Better Social Features (Not of much importance to me, since I only know one of other person who has an account, but if you hang out with a lot of film buffs, might be good)
+ Ability to comment directly on lists and reviews.

Actually, I'm not quite sure if it's got better social features....you cannot directly message a user on LB. Not only that but there's no forum or discussion outside of discussion (and this is usually arguments) on lists or reviews.

One glaring feature they have which Criticker lacks is the ability to number your lists. You can make a list of whatever many movies on Criticker but you can't rank the list which is a bit ridiculous since even imdb had that feature more than a decade ago.

We don't have a truly good movie site yet, they all have some good things going but then some obvious flaws. I do like how Letterboxd's community is more active in terms of number of reviews, if there's an obscure-ish film on here then you'll get maybe a hundred ratings while it might have 600-1k on LB so that's my favourite part of LB...the number of rankings being higher or more accurate. At least more accurate for me, LB users are a bit more populist like I am while Criticker seems to favour its ratings on higher art stuff as shown in the Criticker top 250 compared to the Letterboxd 250. Criticker's user-base also seemed to have maybe active peaked around 2010 or so....the newer films that come out now seem to get fewer ratings. Even Star Wars Episode 7 which was I think the most popular film of 2015 has 3.7k ratings here while Dark City from 1998 has 6k+.....I know Star Wars is more recent but its number of ratings surpassed a film like Dark City a long time ago on most sites. Maybe Criticker's marketing dried up I dunno.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

criticker reigns supreme for me mostly because of the PSI system and an extensive, researched kumpel list i've built up over the years, but i don't see why people can't use more than one - i always consult my network of letterboxd reviews after viewing a film, and those of my RYM friends too. when RYM launches cinemos this year it'll rival both these sites i think, assuming it's not too buggy (which the current incarnation is). certainly, a huge plus is that there are far more filterable custom charts which can be based on friends ratings as well as site-wide ratings. if you combined the best features and users of all these three sites you'd get my dream website.

NathanBates
2418 Ratings

Post by NathanBates »

I've still got the training wheels on for both here and Letterboxd. When I imported my movies into both sites, each found a different subset of my list.

I do like Letterboxd's setup that can show you when you watched a movie and if it was a repeat. But to get a lot out of the site, you really need to follow 'friends' and I'm in this more for the movie watching :)

I like Criticker's recommendations immediately viewable, but I'm still a bit confused on the tiers/rating systems (off to do more reading). I like the fact that it allows for more subtlety in ratings, but that's not helpful when you already have ~1000 existing ratings.

brickwall wrote:[I] wasn't able to get the ratings import to work

Months late for you perhaps, but if you're still having problems, I managed to get my spreadsheet to work, even having never had an IMDB account. If you still want a hand, let me know. (And, as of yesterday, the import was still free.)

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

With the new CSV option when exporting rankings I was able to get it to work

KEzzAP
1724 Ratings

Post by KEzzAP »

Most of my friends are moving to this because criticker does not have an application.
That is really bad. I am a criticker fan, but it is hard to explain people why they should remain here when there is no application while letterboxd offers an amazing user interface.

I would not think to leave crticiker but to remain in contact to one of my friends I also joined to Letterboxd. I was not able to import my ratings there, although it imported many of the films as watched (but without rating them) Any sugestions, how were you able to do that?
Last edited by KEzzAP on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

P u l p
3158 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

KEzzAP wrote:Most of my friends are moving to this because criticker does not have an application.
That is really bad. I am a criticker fan, but it is hard to explain people why they should remain here when there is no application while letterboxd offers an amazing user interface.

I would not think to leave crticiker but to remain in contact to one of my friends I also joined to Letterboxd. I was not able to important my ratings here, although it had important many of the films as watched (but without rating them) Any sugestions, how were you able to do that?

Agree. I will never leave criticker, but we really need the application.