Video game stuff

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Video game stuff

Post by ShogunRua »

Rumplesink wrote:You should give 1001 Spikes a go.

Looks interesting, thanks. I'm actually not a big fan of IWTBTG, an inspiration for the title, as games that have you redoing a stage dozens of times before memorizing the timing/reflexes generally don't appeal to me. N and the afore-mentioned Super Meat Boy are notable exceptions, since the movement is so interesting and responsive, and the levels are relatively short.

The levels appear short in 1001 Spikes, but the fundamental movement appears a bit simplistic. Even IWTBTG gave you a double jump.

Ag0stoMesmer wrote:@SMB players -only tried the flash SMB -you guys are hardcore

That's a good game, too.

CMonster wrote:Third, I also enjoyed Super Hexagon, Audiosurf, and Beat Hazard. All quality choices.

While it's just a free Flash game, another of my favorite games in that genre is Bullet Audyssey.

Incidentally, the same developers behind that title were responsible for the outstanding Rogue Legacy, which I also recommend everyone check out on Steam.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I couldn't dedicate the time and effort to Super Meat Boy. It's difficult, and though I appreciate its swiftness, the constant try-and-try-again got a little tedious for me. Spelunky is a great game, but again I haven't managed to build any worthwhile skill to get very far. I still enjoy booting it up every now-and-again. Rogue Legacy, on the other hand, is a more forgiving game that I fell in love with.

I own The Binding of Isaac, but haven't gotten around to actually playing it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

-BigEvil- wrote:I couldn't dedicate the time and effort to Super Meat Boy. It's difficult, and though I appreciate its swiftness, the constant try-and-try-again got a little tedious for me. Spelunky is a great game, but again I haven't managed to build any worthwhile skill to get very far. I still enjoy booting it up every now-and-again. Rogue Legacy, on the other hand, is a more forgiving game that I fell in love with.

That's perfectly understandable. I would highly recommend Super House of Dead Ninjas, then. It's similar to Rogue Legacy in that the most difficult challenges and bosses require extreme skill with little room for error, but you're also given multiple lives and start off with easy procedurally-generated levels to build up your gaming ability. Since it starts off relatively forgiving, by the time you get to the harder stages, you have improved, and there isn't a major roadblock that has you redoing the same areas over and over.

Thinking more about it, I really enjoy procedurally-generated games.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Then you should be hyping No Man's Sky. I know I am.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Forgot FTL charming little thing - never beaten it though, refuse to look at guides and stuff for it.

I know they're a little old but I like Introversions stuff, defcon, darwinia, got prison architect but waiting for it to get less buggy.

@cmonster, Civ V-wise I should probably have gone random-on-easy rather than the campaigns, i'll be back.

@paulofilmo, not sure it's really ambient but Solar 2 might be worth a look, i got it on steam - wouldn't pay that for it though

Massey23
0 Ratings

Post by Massey23 »

ShogunRua wrote:That's perfectly understandable. I would highly recommend Super House of Dead Ninjas, then. It's similar to Rogue Legacy in that the most difficult challenges and bosses require extreme skill with little room for error, but you're also given multiple lives and start off with easy procedurally-generated levels to build up your gaming ability. Since it starts off relatively forgiving, by the time you get to the harder stages, you have improved, and there isn't a major roadblock that has you redoing the same areas over and over.

Seconded, since I've seen my husband delve deeper and deeper into this game (Super House of Dead Ninjas), furrowing his brows with utmost concentration with his headphones on. As he says, 'Playing this one is no child's play.' As for me, I'm into more fun games like Angry Birds and Plants versus Zombies. For me, games should be fun; something to unwind after a hard day at work - and not something which requires me to use my brain, unlike hubby dearest. Presently am very involved with Team Fortress 2 and this newly discovered Heroes & Rivals game. Any suggestions for similar online games involving sports or something fun (a tad higher than Candy Crush saga though, intellectually) which I could play on my phone/tablet? Thanks in advance!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Massey23 wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:That's perfectly understandable. I would highly recommend Super House of Dead Ninjas, then. It's similar to Rogue Legacy in that the most difficult challenges and bosses require extreme skill with little room for error, but you're also given multiple lives and start off with easy procedurally-generated levels to build up your gaming ability. Since it starts off relatively forgiving, by the time you get to the harder stages, you have improved, and there isn't a major roadblock that has you redoing the same areas over and over.

Seconded, since I've seen my husband delve deeper and deeper into this game (Super House of Dead Ninjas), furrowing his brows with utmost concentration with his headphones on. As he says, 'Playing this one is no child's play.' As for me, I'm into more fun games like Angry Birds and Plants versus Zombies. For me, games should be fun; something to unwind after a hard day at work - and not something which requires me to use my brain, unlike hubby dearest.

This is a very confusing post for two reasons;

1. Super House of Dead Ninjas does not require much mental concentration. In fact, I used to load up Abarghus's Domain (an extra-difficult portion of the game that resembles hell, which you unlock after beating the regular tower on Hard) on either "Hard" or even "True Ninja" difficulty, and play it with one hand. (Meaning I can't use the regular sword slash OR secondary weapon)

It's pure instinct and muscle memory, but I always did well. Sometimes even getting achievements that less than 1% of Steam players had.

2. Super House of Dead Ninjas is fun as hell.

Massey23 wrote:Presently am very involved with Team Fortress 2 and this newly discovered Heroes & Rivals game. Any suggestions for similar online games involving sports or something fun (a tad higher than Candy Crush saga though, intellectually) which I could play on my phone/tablet? Thanks in advance!

I would love to give you recommendations, but Team Fortress 2 is about a hundred times more complex and involved than Super House of Dead Ninjas is, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Angry Birds is based off (or stolen from) a series of fun games called "Crush the Castle"

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGa ... the-castle

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGa ... ayers-pack

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGa ... e-castle-2

And if you're into Plants vs Zombies, there are plenty of excellent Tower Defense games out there. I especially love the Protector as well as Kingdom Rush series', both of which can be found on Kongregate, too.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Massey23 wrote: Presently am very involved with Team Fortress 2

YAY! Maybe somebody else here can understand my obsession.

Also, since my last post in this topic, I have bought the Binding of Isaac and it pretty much kicks ass. Perfectly exemplifies the "easy to pick up, difficult to master" style of play that it just fun and relaxing yet incredibly rewarding. Probably is now my #2 favorite game right now behind Team Fortress 2.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

ShogunRua wrote:Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is both {good as a play-through video and game], although I would really urge anyone not to spoiler themselves, but play the game instead.

About an hour in and really enjoying it, I saw someone call it 'the best directed game ever' and I'm beginning to agree. Perhaps it's the world/folk-fusion or what soundtrack, or the humour but I keep thinking 'if Cirque du Soleil made games...

Massey23
0 Ratings

Post by Massey23 »

CMonster wrote:
Massey23 wrote: Presently am very involved with Team Fortress 2

YAY! Maybe somebody else here can understand my obsession.

Also, since my last post in this topic, I have bought the Binding of Isaac and it pretty much kicks ass. Perfectly exemplifies the "easy to pick up, difficult to master" style of play that it just fun and relaxing yet incredibly rewarding. Probably is now my #2 favorite game right now behind Team Fortress 2.

Yay! Nice to know there are like-minded people out there who are into the same thing that I am :lol:

Had a break from Team Fortress 2 for around 8 months last year but starting December I'm fully into it again! Something about it doesn't let me let go... Apart from that, gaming has taken a bit of a backseat at home. Husband busy travelling a lot for work (though I'm sure he plays on his tablet a lot but I don't see that at home though) and me busy with kids and their homeschooling. So a majority of my time goes into preparing worksheets and drawing timetables and stuff and the only game (that is, IF you could call it a game) are these online games which are educational, and hence don't really fit into what I would call gaming! However, the upcoming Star Trek Bridge Crew due to be released in March looks really exciting, and has some amazing VR, from what I've read about it. Another one that seems interesting is Sea of Thieves with pirates and all, but its release date is not out yet.