Jodorowsky's new film "Endless Poetry" on Kickstarter

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
comepelicula
1840 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Jodorowsky's new film "Endless Poetry" on Kickstarter

Post by comepelicula »

Jodorowsky is raising money for his next film through Kickstarter

It's worth checking it out for all Jodorwsky's fans, the first reward is at $5, but you could be in the credits for just $111 :o and also get some poetic money or as the campaign says Dinero Poético along the way.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Jodorowsky's new film "Endless Poetry" on Kickstarter

Post by ShogunRua »

comepelicula wrote:Jodorowsky is raising money for his next film through Kickstarter

It's worth checking it out for all Jodorwsky's fans, the first reward is at $5, but you could be in the credits for just $111 :o and also get some poetic money or as the campaign says Dinero Poético along the way.

I'm unfamiliar with any of Jorowosky's work, but even assuming he was one of my favorite directors, I would be wary after reading that Kickstarter.

At no point does he inform us why he needs exactly $350k, or where that money will specifically go to. In terms of the cast, it's three members of his family and Pamela Flores. We do, however, get a long screed about commercialization ruining the film medium and a strange interlude about Jodorowsky transforming pledged money into "digital poetry" currency.

Mad genius or not, this would make me very hesitant about contributing to the project. While you might say "oh, but he's a famous artist!", there have been more famous and highly-regarded artists who have burned their Kickstarter backers despite receiving many times as much money as Jodorowsky is looking for.

Tim Schafer and Peter Molyneaux are two such examples.

comepelicula
1840 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I think you have some valid concerns for someone not familiar with Jodorowsky so I am just going to put another point of view for them.

Jodorosky is a consolidated 86 years old artist who has made several movies, books, graphic novels, stage plays, etc. In some of his movies he and his sons have worked together (“El Topo”, “Santa Sangre”, “The Dance of Reality”), his movies are very low budget, last year he released a movie, he is probably doing this next movie with the same crew and already has some producers for this movie (it’s a 3 million dollar movie). So it’s not likely a scam.
Nevertheless it’s a Kickstarter campaign and has risks, he has a history of unfinished projects (“Jodorowsky’s Dune”, “King Shot”) and he is 86 years old. If he doesn’t deliver, it would probably fail in a spectacular way; that alone might be worth the risk for some people (me).

I think this campaign is asking for help to trusting fans to make a movie and it does not have to be specific about where the money is going. From the campaign:

In order to realize Jodorowsky’s new film production, we need the support of micro producers across the world who understand his vision of cinema

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

comepelicula wrote:he is probably doing this next movie with the same crew and already has some producers for this movie (it’s a 3 million dollar movie).

So why does he need $350k, and where is it going to?

The Kickstarter page doesn't address this.

comepelicula wrote:So it’s not likely a scam.

I never suggested or implied it was. Tim Schafer's Double Fine Adventure game certainly wasn't a scam, and neither was Peter Molyneaux's Kickstarted game.

Nevertheless, despite their previously stellar reputations, and going way over their funding goals, both artists failed their Kickstarter backers.

comepelicula
1840 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

ShogunRua wrote: So why does he need $350k, and where is it going to?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I don’t think that the movie depends on the Kickstarter money.

I think that a movie project is very different from a videogame project and the promises made by the Jodorowsky’s project are far more realistics than the ones from the projects you mentioned.
Peter Molyneaux's Kickstarted game was just a bit short from a scam taking into consideration his history of overpromising and underdelivering

comepelicula
1840 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

I just want to post a bit of an update on this topic.

The movie has been made (https://www.criticker.com/film/Poesa-Sin-Fin/) and I watched it on Vimeo as part of the rewards, is not as good as “The Dance of Reality” but certainty an interesting watch for Jodorowsky’s fans.

It was fun to be part of a Kickstarter project with all the updates and stuff. I received my rewards ok but I don’t think everyone did as well as me by looking at the comments.
It was a different kind of project because the campaign was not going to finance the whole project and there where issues about how the money was going to be spent, but it was a good experience and I would do it again.