What is your guilty pleasure?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1637 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What is your guilty pleasure?

Post by dardan »

Movies you are ashamed to admit you enjoy so much and even though you tried giving it a low score, your honesty prevented you from doing so.

Mine is Forrest Gump, a movie that is in my top 5.

The main achievement of this movie is to simultaneously have a fantastic yet somehow credible melodrama on the foreground, while also giving a mildly interesting commentary on recent American history and life in general through the eyes of a stupid and honest man that breaks down complex evils to the simplest logic to show how stupid the world can be in the background.

Perhaps it was the immersion, the flawless editing or both but all those ridiculous stories left a grin on my face.
Last edited by dardan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: What is your guilty pleasure?

Post by ribcage »

I watch trash proudly all the time so naming a guilty pleasure is hard to do. That being said...ahem...Bedazzled. The brendan fraser one.

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

While I also proudly and un-ironically like quite a few movies considered crap (Speed Racer, Con Air, Yes Man, Knowing), the one that is hardest to justify is Frank Miller's The Spirit. When my friends see that one on my shelf next to Tarkovsky's Solaris they melt in vicarious shame. I don't even like Sin City all that much, but I dig The Spirit. It comes off as either a surrealist blockbuster or a hilariously expensive in-joke.

tomwhitaker1
235 Ratings

Post by tomwhitaker1 »

The one that was universally hated but I really liked was Sucker Punch.

But I like what Dave Grohl said about guilty pleasures in music -“I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you fucking like something, like it. That’s what’s wrong with our generation: that residual punk rock guilt, like, “You’re not supposed to like that. That’s not fucking cool.” Don’t fucking think it’s not cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” It is cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic”! Why the fuck not? Fuck you! That’s who I am, goddamn it! That whole guilty pleasure thing is full of fucking shit.”

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Hot Rod. Unapologetically.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I have a pretty good string of chick flicks and animated musicals.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Maaxwell wrote:Hot Rod. Unapologetically.

Agreed. Hot Rod is great.

Also, I am unapologetic about my love for Chris Farley movies. Beverly Hills Ninja, Almost Heroes, Black Sheep. No amount of eloquence or logic could convince me that Beverly Hills Ninja is not hilarious.

Midaso
7514 Ratings

Post by Midaso »

Planes,Trains & Automobiles. It just HAS to be in my all time top 100,but I know it's got a few cheesy moments and soundtrack...

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Women in Prison movies.

They're all pretty much the same and they're all terrible...but' I've seen dozens of them. I can't stop myself.

lilalex666
2039 Ratings

Post by lilalex666 »

planes trains and automobiles is a fantastic movie. no guilt. my guilty pleasure lies in bad indy movies with cute actors playig quirky and neurotic characters, trying way too hard to be deep ad arty