How do you rate movies you have abandonned halfway through ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How do you rate movies you have abandonned halfway throu

Post by livelove »

I was confronted so many times with situations in my life where I saw only 2 (unsatisfying) choices, and quite often (although not always) I ended up discovering a third way, either by managing to broaden my view of the situation of by help of outside advice, and this third way always led to happiness.

When there seem to be just 2 choices, sometimes you have to think outside the box.
Like the user who suggested watching the rest of the film, but in a fast forward manner.
I happen not to be a fan of this solution either, but it IS indeed an example of finding a 3rd way.

Or the way I handled it thus far (rating the movie but marking it as an unreliable score in parentheses) is also a 3rd way. Unfortunately not useful here either.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

livelove wrote:No, you misunderstand me. I was not seeing a good solution, but that doesn't mean there isn't any (just because I am unable to see it). I was (and still would be) looking forward to hearing a good strategy, because - as I have stressed repeatedly - I am unsatisfied with everything I have come up with by myself so far (including not rating the films, as I have also underligned multiple times, but apparently you didn't read all my posts from start to finish either :D ).

I don't believe I have misunderstood you. You're extremely reluctant to rate films you didn't finish because you don't think it's fair. Simultaneously you're reluctant to waste time watching films you feel are not worthy of your time, resulting in an unfinished film that you now don't know whether to rate or not. Rating it seems unfair so you're reluctant to do so. Not rating it is unacceptable to you as well...and so on.

You've presented a problem that has two - and only two - solutions, both of which are diametrically opposed, and you've further stated that you're unwilling to accept either one. I would suggest that the reason you're unsatisfied with everything you've come up with so far is because the restraints you've placed upon yourself are contradictory. You can't solve a puzzle when the very rules that must be followed in order to solve the puzzle actively prevent the solving of the puzzle.

I don't believe any solutions offered will be acceptable to you (I would stake large sums of money on you finding no acceptable solution from anyone in this thread), because your core belief seems to be that anything other than watching an entire film automatically disqualifies it from receiving an accurate rating.

This is why I suggested - and maintain - that anything less than either watching the whole film or not rating it if you don't is the only solution applicable here. There is no third way - or rather there is a third way, and many more than that - but each one would by its very nature contradict your core belief, and so will be unacceptable to you.

If I were of a more churlish persuasion I might mention that as I didn't get any credit for reading your previous comments I won't be reading any more of them. But I'm not, so I won't. ;)

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@Rumplesink:
I stand by what I said, but there is truth in what you said as well (things are not mutually exclusive).
I think the point where you mischaracterize me, though, is where you imply that I would be too stubborn to take any advice. Well, those weren't your exact words, but it's certainly what you meant, and it is not true. I honestly would love to find a way out and contrary to what you believe I do often settle for less. Don't mistake playing devil's advocate for stubborness.

I lost you at your last paragraph. Which credit were you expecting exactly and in what manner did I fail to give it to you (which was certainly not my purpose) ?

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

livelove wrote:...but apparently you didn't read all my posts from start to finish either :D ).

I didn't expect credit for reading all your posts, but you suggested that I hadn't. That's by the by though.

I didn't mean to suggest that you're stubborn. Rather that you're trapped in a prison of your own design in this instance. I'm sure you would honestly love to find a way out but you've designed this particular quandary in such a way as to prevent it from happening. I don't know whether you're a stubborn person in general or not. All I know is that the problem as you stated it is insoluble. There are only two paths here, and if you're unwilling to choose one then you'll be stuck at the fork indefinitely. Nobody can help you.

I would try to lighten your load by telling you that it really doesn't matter too much and you shouldn't let it bother you, but it seems like it really does bother you, so someone telling you to chill out will likely not help. Besides, a couple of people have already tried that and were re-buffed, so I guess you're kind of stuck.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Rumplesink wrote:
livelove wrote:...but apparently you didn't read all my posts from start to finish either :D ).

I didn't expect credit for reading all your posts, but you suggested that I hadn't. That's by the by though.

Hey, that was merely a joke (as should have been apparent from the smiley right next to it).
My apologies if it came across the wrong way. It wasn't meant to be offensive.

As for the rest, maybe you are right.
… or maybe one in the million (or how many are there actually?) criticker users shows up with a surprising alternative idea, who knows ;)

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

If it is unwatchable I give it a 0. If it has some titties in it, I'll give it a 1 because hey at least you tried.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Pickpocket wrote:If it is unwatchable I give it a 0. If it has some titties in it, I'll give it a 1 because hey at least you tried.

see Rumplesink, that's exactly what I meant :lol:
all hope was not lost :D

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Do a Feature Request.

The option to score without it contributing to TCI might be very simple to implement.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

paulofilmo wrote:Do a Feature Request.
The option to score without it contributing to TCI might be very simple to implement.

I like that idea. Maybe I'll submit it sometimes in the future.
It comes pretty close to what I used to do on my Excel sheets: rating these movies in parentheses.

xanderbisc wrote:If you have abandoned a movie then don't rate it.
What's next? A movie looks bad from the trailer so you rate it 0 since you never want to watch it?

True. I guess my solution will be to give them a provisional rating (in parentheses) on my spreadsheets and not rate them on Criticker. And maybe one day Criticker will implement tentative/provisional ratings (which don't contribute to TCIs) as paulofilmo suggested above, and then I'll import those provisional ratings.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Rumplesink wrote:It's not going to suddenly morph into a movie that you'll like halfway through.
Rumplesink wrote:films don't tend to morph into something completely different halfway through.

cases in point:

"starts out as a quintessential kung fu revenge flick […] takes an unexpected turn and […] becomes a completely different film […] might have worked better as 2 films." www.criticker.com/film/True_Legend/rating/ribcage

"The movie has 2 halfs. In the first half they are happy, laughing together. But in the second half they are angry, scary and sad." www.criticker.com/film/About_Elly/rating/vahidtr

"First half is a spaghetti western comedy - think Bugs Bunny meets Clint Eastwood - but the second half becomes much darker as we learn about Vash's past and motives." www.criticker.com/tv/Trigun/rating/Daigoro

livelove wrote:I have often seen films which are quite fascinating in the beginning, but then fall flat later on.

cases in point:

"I'd give it a 75 for the first half, but then it gets boring, and just falls apart toward the end."
www.criticker.com/film/The_Dunwich_Horr ... /MrOlivier

"The first half hour is great, but then it gets annoying." www.criticker.com/film/Minions/rating/Koalafish

"these bits of parody humor are only evident in the first half of the film. After that, Shrek is your run-of-the-mill children's flick. Ironically, Shrek ultimately becomes the very thing it's poking fun at, except immensely watered down." www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4155

"I much preferred the first hour of the movie (which was very similar to Cast Away with the horse playing the Wilson role) to the second half." www.criticker.com/film/The_Black_Stalli ... ayofthegun

"[…]done in a very unique way. The film's style gives everything a strange off-kilter vibe, and the first half […] is beautifully shot. I found it a bit dull, though, and the second half became much more conventional." www.criticker.com/film/The_Black_Stalli ... aceAnarchy

"It was hard to rate this because the first half of the film does have excellent tension and you don't know where the movie is going to go. Then […]" www.criticker.com/film/Red_Eye/rating/Ryan_Lueders

livelove wrote:Conversely a film might have a slow (boring) start, but intrigues you over time, or a somewhat convoluted plot starts to make sense as the movie progresses, etc.

case in point:

"While I found the first half of this movie shallow and difficult to sit through, the latter half was worth the wait. The relationships develop, characters become more flushed out, and the delicate nature of relationships becomes the central theme of the film." www.criticker.com/film/Drinking_Buddies ... /swordfern
Last edited by livelove on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.