All-time top twenty horror movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Suture Self
2709 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: All-time top twenty horror movies

Post by Suture Self »

lisa- wrote:
Suture Self wrote:
lisa- wrote:my list wouldn't look very interesting but with respect to "indie" horror i will point out a very interesting ultra-low-budget docu-horror thingy by pere portabella called CUADECUC, VAMPIR.

http://www.criticker.com/film/Cuadecuc_vampir/

this looks cool, i'll have to check it out. thanks

careful, because at times it looks as though pere portabella equipped himself only with the tools of your everyday film student, and one might even accuse that his sole intention was to make a movie as self-important and cheaply made as possible.

I read on the interwebs Epidemic was the result of some kind of bet Lars von Trier made that allowed him to finance Europa. some people say he agreed to money that would finance two movies, and used almost all of that financing for Europa and barely any of it for Epidemic, hence its super low budget. can you confirm/deny, plz

also, I doubt Cuadecuc Vampir will be anywhere near as tedious as Epidemic. That would be impressive, if so

good god, there's way too much italicizing going on here

Daigoro
531 Ratings

Post by Daigoro »

avgcrtckr wrote:Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (1999) 79

That's a horror movie?

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

lisa- wrote:careful, because at times it looks as though pere portabella equipped himself only with the tools of your everyday film student, and one might even accuse that his sole intention was to make a movie as self-important and cheaply made as possible.

The use of the term "apologist" also induced the raising of a metaphorical eyebrow for this reader, and almost the curling of a metaphorical lip.

avgcrtckr
19985 Ratings

Post by avgcrtckr »

Daigoro wrote:
avgcrtckr wrote:Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (1999) 79

That's a horror movie?

That's what criticker('s users) think, you may go ahead and fix it
I'm only reporting criticker's average ratings

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

djross wrote:
lisa- wrote:careful, because at times it looks as though pere portabella equipped himself only with the tools of your everyday film student, and one might even accuse that his sole intention was to make a movie as self-important and cheaply made as possible.

The use of the term "apologist" also induced the raising of a metaphorical eyebrow for this reader, and almost the curling of a metaphorical lip.

It's used mostly in jest. Don't worry, you guys are still my kumpels, even if you are von Trier apologists. Also, it's worth noting that I love Lars von Trier, I just tend to have a love/hate relationship with his movies. I also tend to raise my metaphorical eyebrow at his deliberate amateurism, which Epidemic was overloaded with.

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
1637 Ratings

Post by dardan »

While I would say that I regard Woman in the Dunes as the best horror, I wonder if it is defineable as such when for example Pitfall (1962) isn't. Instead I consider the themes in Woman in the Dunes to be better definable through existentialism.

I'll give my top 8 horrors based on something close to: (amount of horror* present in film) x (ranking or quality of the film).

* the extent to which I felt "an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear."

1. Alien (1979) (T8)
2. The Thing (1982) (T7)
2. 28 Days Later (2002) (T7)
3. Woman in the Dunes (T10) (On second thought, existential fear is fear as well.)
4. Diabolique (T9)
5. Pans Labyrinth (T10)
5. The Cremator (T10)
5. Saw (2004) (T3)

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosenritter
912 Ratings

Post by rosenritter »

Using a fairly conservative definition of horror (so no FWWM/Woman in the Dunes/etc. much as I love those);

1. The Thing
2. Videodrome
3. Nightmare on Elm Street 3
4. Hatchet 2
5-7. Dead Trilogy
8. Ebola Syndrome
9. Bone Tomahawk
10. Aliens
11. The Shining
12. Wolf Creek 2
13. Alien
14. Cube