Your Favourite Users

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Your Favourite Users

Post by djross »

You've received 1699 stars on 801 reviews from 257 users.

I need one more star people: Suture Self, where's that star for Mad Max: Fury Road?

You've given 1767 stars to 750 reviews by 455 users.

Top ten list in terms of stars given:

1. lisa-: 67 stars
    2. billkerwin: 42
    3. lumpnboy: 41
    4. Moribunny: 29
    5. PeaceAnarchy: 29
    6. Alex Watkins: 27
    7. Pickpocket: 27 (despite remarks made by him about me that I would describe as "uncalled-for")
    8. Yiannos: 25
    9. pompousass: 21
    10. overrated: 20

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i am not very good at giving out stars, i should do it more. also i think the quality of my reviews has fallen along with my motivation, oh well. here's everyone who i've given more than 10 stars.

#1 djross (44)

i wish i could be this intellectual. he and his brother take turns on being my top TCI. our opinions have diverged a little bit in the last year or so, but it's also pretty clear where they diverge, so his ratings are very useful recommendations.

#2 karamazov (18)

i consider my taste to be a cross between djross and karamazov actually.

#3 suture self (14)
#4 moribunny (11)

i agree with everyone here, i disagree with him a lot, and even with his core film philosophy, but he's still a great reviewer.

#5 lumpnboy (11)
#6 judge holden (11)

Suture Self
2704 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

If your review of BRICK is any indication, I'm enjoying your lack of motivation.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I'm more generous with stars than most, apparently.

My #1 favorite user, by an enormous margin (with more stars, 501, than the rest of the top 10 combined) is of course TheDenizen. A guy I chatted with regularly, whose love of old-school exploitation cinema is impressive and inspiring. Also the person who invited me to Cinemageddon.

But I wouldn't give him so many stars if I didn't genuinely enjoy his reviews. And he has many funny and insightful ones. Here is just one that comes to mind, of the excellent surrealist Cat Soup (2001);

"An anthropomorphic cat takes acid and goes to a circus where a woman is carved to pieces and a flood happens so he gets on a boat and hallucinates some fish eating his shit. Then it gets weird."

#2. Pickpocket

We actually disagree a lot with regards to movie tastes, but he is a prolific reviewer who has many humorous, worthwhile write-ups.

#3. misterlizard

Random British guy who has a unique, distinctive way of writing. Definitely worth checking his reviews out. Also the only person in my top 10 who has never given one of my mini-reviews a star.

#4. Spunkie

A genuine intellectual who has not only watched a lot of movies, but read many books, watched interesting anime, etc. He also works in a visual medium. He has many deep views and I wish he would post on the forums more often, although I understand why he doesn't.

#5. naikou

We signed up here around the same time and knew each other from a previous site. Doesn't often write mini-reviews, but what he does is typically well-considered and worthwhile.

#6. Moribunny

Another user I disagree with a lot, but whose reviews are worth reading, regardless. Not as funny as Pickpocket, but almost always incisive.

#7. Okkervil

A bit of a surprise. He is a prolific reviewer and I often think he misses the mark in terms of humor and criticism. But he often hits, too.

#8. Ytadel

Probably the biggest surprise. I seem to always disagree with this user, but apparently not.

#9. CMonster

Some of his writings and thoughts remind me a little too much of myself in my early 20s.

#10. hellboy76

Definitely have a bit of a like/hate relationship with his reviews as well as his posts on the forum. It's mutual too, since I have give him 20 stars and he has given me 19.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Cool thread. Criticker is AWESOME. I love all you guys. FUCK LETTERBOXD

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I knew Naikou for a long ass time{use to play a ton of fighters with him} and he unfortunately rarely updates on this site let alone anywhere else. I sent a message to him months ago on Backloggery and he still hasn't gotten back to me. A shame, too, because I always liked that guy.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

We all are.

P u l p
3159 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

I usually read lisa-, djross and moribunny's reviews.
And as Bojangles said, I love all u guyz. ;)

thehynes
904 Ratings

Post by thehynes »

[quote="movieboy"]How do one figure out how many reviews one have given out and how many one has got?

you go to the 'You' tab and in there is Starred Reviews. That'll show your reviews that have been starred and on the right there's a link to see how many you've given.
I've given 384 and received 72. I'm either very generous or just guilty of typing gibberish (noooo, don't answer that folks - remember you're all playing nice now ;) )

Paxton
3633 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

Suture Self wrote:When it comes to movies and art, I think of trust very differently. I prefer people that I can trust to be themselves, people that provide an opinion in a way that's both thoughtful and uninhibited.

I've learned to adopt this attitude in regards to just about everyone when it comes to movies. There are specific people I work with that I use their recommendations wholly as a means to learn what to stay away from. Consistently awful taste is just as valuable as consistently good taste.

Opinions are simply too varied. I bonded with a coworker when he shocked me by listing Kentucky Fried Movie as his favorite film. I knew instantly we were going to be friends. Next movie he recommended me was Grown Ups 2. Oh well. If it has moving pictures, this guy pretty much likes it. Now I know.

When it comes to this site, my interest is pretty squarely relegated to humor. I never read reviews of films on this site I haven't already seen, and therefore, am generally not interested in plot synopsis of any kind. I'm more prone to look to Letterboxd or other resources for deeper reading on film though I tend to remember the users and reviews here that have offered insight into a film that I enjoyed (or hated for that matter). Suture Self's review of Django Unchained falls into that category, as do many from the regulars listed here already.

My top ten is almost exclusively reviewers that have cracked me up on a regular basis, many of which I have binge read at one time or another (I wish that there was an easier way to do this, particularly on mobile devices as I find it takes effort to sit and "catch up" on a user's backlog). terrymac is more traditional in his reviews but I find them aligned to my own perceptions with regularity. It is telling that the number eleven user on my list is KasperL, and many of the more serious reviewers follow along after this point.

Top 10 Stars Given:
Billy Shears
Spleen
Barthalen
Carpetgiant
Kojiless
joseywales
DesertPunk
nilkynarfy
Cmonster
terrymac