All-time top twenty musicals

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
2428 Ratings
Your TCI: na

she had a dream about the king of sweden

Post by paulofilmo »

who hurt you vb?

what about betty boop

ho di HO di HO

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: All-time top twenty musicals

Post by paulofilmo »

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Stewball wrote:
VinegarBob wrote:I hate musicals.

Well.....thanks for stopping by and dropping your load. I'm sure you must feel lots better, if only you could find somebody in the thread who gives a s**t too. :roll:

You're very welcome Stewball ;)

Of course nobody gives a shit, and I wouldn't expect anyone to. I was just bored and thought I'd throw it in there for a bit of counterpoint. The forum's been very quiet recently.

Here's my top 10 musicals, as someone who generally doesn't like the genre:

The Blues Brothers
Cabaret
Dancer In The Dark
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
South Park The Movie
Tommy
True Stories
The Wizard of Oz

I wouldn't consider most of these to be musicals really, and certainly not traditional musicals - which tend to be the ones I hate. Of course if I considered films like Pulp Fiction to be musicals then I couldn't say I hate musicals, but most people don't, and I certainly don't consider a film like Pulp Fiction to be anywhere close to a musical so I think I can safely say that yes, I tend to hate what most people would classify as a musical. I must say though that if everyone has their own definition of musical then the whole comparing peoples' Top 20s becomes kind of pointless.

That said, enjoy your musicals everyone!

kerryland
668 Ratings

Post by kerryland »

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
South Park The Movie

All huge favourites of mine too. Well done that man!

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

Follow the Fleet out, Love and Peace in.

SinnerMa
782 Ratings

Post by SinnerMa »

Started reading as I thought Rocky Horror had been shamefully sidelined but reading on, this has been corrected. :D

IMHO, a killer soundtrack (and that is always a good thing) does not make a movie a "musical" and so deletes a few of the productions mentioned here. I feel the cast either have to perform the music a number of times and not just the one song or, at worst, be immersed in music eg a manager of musicians, a dancer, a conductor etc.

As an example of a non musical I would nominate Fish Story, a superb movie built around one song which is integral to the story.

As an example of a movie/series (there was a live series rounded out by movies) whose genre I am unsure of but deserves a mention here - Nodame Cantabile.