All-time top twenty musicals

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: All-time top twenty musicals

Post by djross »

mattorama12 wrote:It occurred to me that your timing was ironic. I'm certainly no expert on the genre, but it seems to me that 2016 was one the best years for musicals in my personal memory.

It's always possible, since I have not seen any of the films you mention, but I'm doubtful that were I to see them I would agree.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:It occurred to me that your timing was ironic. I'm certainly no expert on the genre, but it seems to me that 2016 was one the best years for musicals in my personal memory.

It's always possible, since I have not seen any of the films you mention, but I'm doubtful that were I to see them I would agree.

I've seen three of them and I'd have to agree. La La was a one-song wonder IMNTBHO and only a slightly above average movie, though the performances were excellent. Sing really turned me off for most of it, especially the gorilla character although my tweens liked it. (Am I misremembering it or did they not use an edited version of Hallelujah in the movie [the tied you to you kitchen chair line], but left in unchanged on the sound track CD, which I repeatedly endured several times recently.) (You want surreal, I recently saw that song sung by three sopranos in full gowns recently, orchestra in tuxes, unedited. Only Leonard should sing that song.)

And your comment about Moana confirms our quantum opposite taste in music. Tangled was outstanding and the soundtrack in The Princess and the Frog was a masterpiece.

2016 was for me, the worst year for animation in a long time, The Jungle Book (9/10) being the sole and significant exception. Thankfully things are looking up for it this year, being off to a good start with Lego Batman and some very promising trailers (Smurfs excepted).

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

djross wrote:It's always possible, since I have not seen any of the films you mention, but I'm doubtful that were I to see them I would agree.

I am similarly doubtful. For what it's worth, my comment was more intended to be directed to the notion that the genre is dying off. I think the strong showing (commercially and/or critically) for the genre may be an indicator that there is interest in bringing it back.

Stewball wrote:I've seen three of them and I'd have to agree. La La was a one-song wonder IMNTBHO and only a slightly above average movie, though the performances were excellent. Sing really turned me off for most of it, especially the gorilla character although my tweens liked it. (Am I misremembering it or did they not use an edited version of Hallelujah in the movie [the tied you to you kitchen chair line], but left in unchanged on the sound track CD, which I repeatedly endured several times recently.) (You want surreal, I recently saw that song sung by three sopranos in full gowns recently, orchestra in tuxes, unedited. Only Leonard should sing that song.)

And your comment about Moana confirms our quantum opposite taste in music. Tangled was outstanding and the soundtrack in The Princess and the Frog was a masterpiece.

Weird, because you have La La Land and Sing Street rated 80, putting them in your T9. That's higher than I rated La La (T8), but lower than I rated Sing Street (T10). I haven't seen Sing, but it looked pretty terrible so I don't plan to. (Intellectually, I agree that only Leonard should sing Hallelujah, but I am wildly embarrassed to admit that I also find myself enjoying Edwin McCain's rendition.) I have not yet seen Tangled or The Princess and the Frog, so maybe I'm not in a position to talk about Moana in terms of how it compares to more recent Disney musicals. I'm mostly comparing it to the early 2000s movies and Frozen.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

mattorama12 wrote:
Weird, because you have La La Land and Sing Street rated 80, putting them in your T9.

Yeah, but La La wasn't there because of the music, which was OK to good. And my bad mixing up Sing Street, which was very good and had some excellent music, with Sing, which mostly sucked.

(Intellectually, I agree that only Leonard should sing Hallelujah, but I am wildly embarrassed to admit that I also find myself enjoying Edwin McCain's rendition.) I have not yet seen Tangled or The Princess and the Frog, so maybe I'm not in a position to talk about Moana in terms of how it compares to more recent Disney musicals. I'm mostly comparing it to the early 2000s movies and Frozen.

Weeeeeelllll, yes, McCain's rendition is much like Cohen's--but with a rather painful country twang. Sorry. And yeah, Frozen was pretty much a one song wonder. Many of the songs in Tangled and TPatF are noticeable not only as songs in their own right, but as big number stand alone music videos, something we need a lot more of in movies. But most directors are almost afraid to use more than a third of a song on screen, even as background. Case in point, the otherwise great use of Roy Orbison's last song, "You Got It", in the movie, Nerve which cruised along then skipped very abruptly to the final note. It did that with many excellent songs. About the only time they play the whole song any more is when its used in the credits, which was where I discovered "The Boys From Oklahoma" in the superb movie, Leaves of Grass. On that (speaking of country twang) note:

No, I gotta admit, I never have.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

doesn't qualify as a musical for whatever reason, over the garden wall is probably my favourite thing from recent memory for its music and songwriting

kerryland
668 Ratings

Post by kerryland »

Am I alone in loving The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

I hate musicals.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

VinegarBob wrote:I hate musicals.

Well.....thanks for stopping by and dropping your load. I'm sure you must feel lots better, if only you could find somebody in the thread who gives a s**t too. :roll:

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

she had a dream about the king of sweden

Post by paulofilmo »

who hurt you vb?

what about betty boop

ho di HO di HO

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings