Leading Actors Without Classic Good Looks

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Jazzaloha
2657 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Leading Actors Without Classic Good Looks

Post by Jazzaloha »

I really like leading actors (actors that can carry a film) that don't have classic good looks--especially in dramas or action films (basically, non-comedies). Off the top of my head, here's a list of some:

Walter Matthau--e.g., Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three
Takashi Shimura--especially in Seven Samurai. He's an old man in this--maybe even feeble-looking. But he's definitely the unquestionable leader of the group--a guy you have no problem believing the other samurai would follow.
Nicholas Cage--I lost interest in him, but I liked him in things like Red Rock West and Leaving Las Vegas
Tim Robbins--kind of goofy-looking, but I like him as a lead for some reason
Warren Oates--For a long time I only knew him as Sgt. Hulka. I'm glad that changed.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: Leading Actors Without Classic Good Looks

Post by paulofilmo »

Hello Jazz!

I like these too. I remember all the horse girls in college - I think I've been bored of beautiful people ever since. Except for Brad Pitt. Brad Pitt is gorgeous.

Fav' actors:
Timothy Spall
Denis Lavant
Paddy Considine
Olivier Gourmet
Samantha Morton
Brad Pitt
Gena Rowlands
Liv Ullmann
Soumitra Chatterjee
Sharmila Tagore
Fred Astaire
Celia Johnson

(some of these people are pretty, but they act so well that it doesn't bother me).

Cronenburg is good for these (Walken, etc.). Mike Leigh. Basically any Englishman who hasn't buggered off to America, or is plucked early for Austen/Shakespeare adaptations. Part of my love for Leon is Jean Reno looking like some kind of bird. I will think more but I need to stretch then kill zombies ...

Oh, the French have a term called Jolie Laide [Jolie laide (English translation: "beautiful ugly") is the French expression used to describe someone who is unconventionally beautiful. Snaggle teeth, a bump in ...].

Willem Dafoe, Klaus Kinski, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Tilda Swinton, Sandiwtich Thundersnatch, Dominique Pinon, Toby Jones, Michael Shannon, new star wars guy, Joaquim Phoenix . .
Last edited by paulofilmo on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Depardieu springs to mind.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

paulofilmo wrote:new star wars guy

Adam Driver?

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Most of them. There's more Jonah Hill looking dudes than Leonardo DiCaprio looking dudes. Actors with classic good looks is like maybe 100

Jazzaloha
2657 Ratings

Post by Jazzaloha »

paulofilmo wrote:Hello Jazz!

I like these too. I remember all the horse girls in college - I think I've been bored of beautiful people ever since. Except for Brad Pitt. Brad Pitt is gorgeous.

Fav' actors:
Timothy Spall
Denis Lavant
Paddy Considine
Olivier Gourmet
Samantha Morton
Brad Pitt
Gena Rowlands
Liv Ullmann
Soumitra Chatterjee
Sharmila Tagore
Fred Astaire
Celia Johnson

(some of these people are pretty, but they act so well that it doesn't bother me).

Cronenburg is good for these (Walken, etc.). Mike Leigh. Basically any Englishman who hasn't buggered off to America, or is plucked early for Austen/Shakespeare adaptations. Part of my love for Leon is Jean Reno looking like some kind of bird. I will think more but I need to stretch then kill zombies ...

Oh, the French have a term called Jolie Laide [Jolie laide (English translation: "beautiful ugly") is the French expression used to describe someone who is unconventionally beautiful. Snaggle teeth, a bump in ...].

Willem Dafoe, Klaus Kinski, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Tilda Swinton, Sandiwtich Thundersnatch, Dominique Pinon, Toby Jones, Michael Shannon, new star wars guy, Joaquim Phoenix . .

Hey Paulo,

Some good ones in there. Of the ones you mentioned, Jean Reno stands out for me.

I must admit that I do think that being good-looking does seem important in order to carry a film--that is, the audience will be drawn to the actor and care more about them. I guess it has to do with the connection between physical attractiveness and charisma. Of course, some people may not be physically attractive, but still have a lot of charisma. I find these actors to be the most interesting.

On a related note, I don't know if others agree, but actors who are attractive can be a "copy" of other actors--and, in this way, they're less interesting. For example, I recently watched Netflix's Jessica Jones. The lead reminded me of a cross between Anne Hathaway and Katy Perry; while her best friend looked like Lisa Welchel from the 80's TV show, Facts of Life. It was a bit distracting, and I because of this similarity, they seem a little less interesting.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Yes, I understand. Look at someone like Dustin Hoffman. He's short, a bit odd-looking and gap-toothed. Bit of an odd voice. But he's usually the most interesting thing on screen. I saw an interview with either Gene Hackman or Robert Duvall, and he said Hoffman was the one bringing a different woman home every night (this was before any career success).

It's a bit different here in the UK. We have a history of working-class realism in our cinema. That coupled with the lack of vitimin-D made me grow up expecting a Pete Postlethwaite most of the time.

We send people like Henry Cavill off to America, because here they'd just get called a poof and not get any work.

Maaxwell wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:new star wars guy

Adam Driver?

That's the one. He sort of protrudes, but I think he's very handsome.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Jazzaloha wrote:Of course, some people may not be physically attractive, but still have a lot of charisma. I find these actors to be the most interesting.

Try more Carax. Lavant achieves this so perfectly through movement.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Bela Lugosi.

Not handsome at all, but what a screen presence.

Jazzaloha
2657 Ratings

Post by Jazzaloha »

paulofilmo wrote:
Jazzaloha wrote:Of course, some people may not be physically attractive, but still have a lot of charisma. I find these actors to be the most interesting.

Try more Carax. Lavant achieves this so perfectly through movement.

I believe I've only seen one of Carax's films (Holy Motors). Will try to get to the others.