A Decade of Criticker

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
iconogassed
7281 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: A Decade of Criticker

Post by iconogassed »

I would be substantially more interested in your GG Allin documentary.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

undinum wrote:I would be substantially more interested in your GG Allin documentary.

There really should be more GG Allin documentaries. That kind of pure, unadulterated insanity can't be adequately captured by a single doc.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ten years?!!! Has it already been ten years? Apparently, it has. It's hard for us to believe, because the time has really flown by. We are amazed and gratified to have users that have stuck with us for a decade. That's not a small accomplishment. Criticker might not be the biggest or smoothest or prettiest film site on the internet, but we must be doing something right.

Anyone here remember our first logo? You might want to shield your eyes:

(We're still not great at design, but we've improved a little...)

Criticker went online in November of 2005. Back then, we had a few dozen films in our database. The design was horrendous and our catalog of films was minuscule, but the TCI was there (the PSI... not yet). For a few months, it was just friends and family, and we grew slowly. We've come to where we are now by listening to our users... without you guys, Criticker would be nothing. Almost all of the changes we've ever made were suggestions by you. (We still have 215 to get to... heh, that's the real number!)

We've always been a small enterprise. Our goal is to make a film website which works well, and is fun to use... and that's about it. As long as Criticker pays for itself, we'll keep going with it, but I doubt it will ever make us filthy rich. I mean, I wouldn't be horrified if we suddenly got big... but that's truly not the goal.

We hope to be around for another decade, and hope you guys stick with us. Let's grow old together... and find some cool films in the meantime.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

I concur that Criticker has always been a website that listens to its users, and that this is one of its greatest features and the reason it has kept users for so long. And it isn't only a question of implementing user suggestions: equally important is that Criticker has never introduced some wild and crazy transformation in the hope of suddenly attracting millions of new users but at the expense of existing ones. The feeling that one can trust in slow but steady improvement, rather than fearing some terrible overhaul at the whim of some rampant marketing consultant, is reassuring, given that the site is really an externalised memory of cinematic experience, a memory on which users depend and rely. And so: you better stick around another decade. As far as I'm concerned, you've made a lifelong commitment!

neurophate
3314 Ratings

Post by neurophate »

That went fast. 8 years I've been here. Always sitting in my bookmarks.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

I forgot the password to my original account from 2006 so I made this one and the rest is history. Since it has been a decade , is it pronounced CRITIC - ER or CRITIQUE- R , I've never said the name of the website out loud just in case I was wrong.

Armilio
754 Ratings

Post by Armilio »

I'm new here but i want to say that you has made a great job, since i discovered Criticker it's the first site i visit after i saw a film, and I have seen a lot of good films thanks to yours (relatively) simple but great recommendation system. Thanks also to the community that generally dislike bad movies, of course: i never seen the site recommend me a M.Bay movie with a good PSI. :mrgreen: Keep going, guys.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

BillyShears wrote:I forgot the password to my original account from 2006 so I made this one and the rest is history. Since it has been a decade , is it pronounced CRITIC - ER or CRITIQUE- R , I've never said the name of the website out loud just in case I was wrong.

Hehe, we say "Critic"-er.

Velvet Crowe
2600 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I signed on here way back in 2010, but I still feel like I'm pretty new here at times especially since I often neglected the forum here until recently. It's a pretty neat site for ranking movies and such, and I always liked the mini-reviews here as well.

joelwatchesmovies
983 Ratings

Post by joelwatchesmovies »

Relatively new user here (been about a year, but it's flown by!). Just wanted comment on how cool it is that there have been users sticking around here for so long and staying active- seems like there's a really good little community of film buffs here. I regularly post ratings and reviews but I'd love to become more engaged in interaction with fellow film fans, so feel free to add me as a kumpel! I'm fairly new to the avid movie watching and reviewing game, so it'd be great to read more educated opinions on all things film.

Thanks for a great site, Criticker!

Cheers,
Joel