A Decade of Criticker

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

A Decade of Criticker

Post by TheDenizen »

Not sure exactly when the site began, but I just noticed that today is the 10th anniversary of the day I signed up. That's a full quarter of my life. :shock:

I've tried several film recommendation sites over the years, but I keep coming back to Criticker. It's the best. Thanks to mpowell and the other admins for providing such an awesome service. Long may it continue.

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: A Decade of Criticker

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Congratulations to you both and to whomever has their 10-year anniversary soon. What has the evolution been like during these past 10 years? Were there some very active users in your first years that have since left and are worth remembering?

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Predominant memories of the early years of Criticker mostly revolve around how small the database was. For a while there it was pretty common for me to have to manually add a film before I could rate it, especially foreign films. And the process for adding a film was much less streamlined than it is now.

I also remember being astonished pretty quickly at how well the PSI predicted my Tier/score for a movie. As the engine has been refined and the database of films/user ratings has gotten bigger, the accuracy has only improved. Pretty rare for a PSI to steer me wrong these days.

One notable user of yesteryear has to be Boobjuice. He/she has been inactive since Dec 2008, but some of their reviews are still counted among my favorites.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kojiless
2369 Ratings

Post by Kojiless »

Holy crap... It has been almost 10 years. I remember kumpel-ing the Denizen soon after I joined in June 2006, thinking he was some wizened hermit living in a remote mountain dojo watching dubbed kung-fu and 70s blacksploitation films all day. To think we're practically the same age... I really need my own dojo.

Predominant memories of the early years of Criticker mostly revolve around how small the database was. For a while there it was pretty common for me to have to manually add a film before I could rate it, especially foreign films.

Ah, those were the days. I think the "biggest" movies I ever added myself were Schwarzenegger's "Hercules in New York" and one of my personal sci-fi favorites, "The Last Star Fighter."

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Hi. My name is bercutio. I've been a criticker member for the past 9 years. I say I am a member of criticker because I believe there is an important difference between being a moviegoer and being a member of criticker. I admit that at one point I was clinically addicted, my family decided to intervene, I went cold turkey for a few months. But I had to come back, this is one addiction that I have in life that I do not want to live without. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs, sniff glue, so let me just critick as much as I want, please.

I agree with all the sentiments menitoned in the previous posts, except that one Holy Mountain mishap, yes, the PSIs are dead on. But I no longer have the time to watch anything for fun, so that's a feature I miss using. A good friend of mine would highly recommend a movie, I'd say "sure, I'll check it out" and when I get home, first thing, I'd log in, see the PSI, and I'd realize that I could no longer trust my friend. Criticker understands me better than my friends who know me for real. Need I say more?

As for what I don't miss, let me just say that the forum has been a really fun place to hang out again for the past three months. Thank you for cleaning it up, and of course, keeping this site up and running for all these years. We love it here, and although I am not a supporting member, I try to click on the ads whenever. Live long and prosper Criticker!

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Kojiless wrote:I remember kumpel-ing the Denizen soon after I joined in June 2006, thinking he was some wizened hermit living in a remote mountain dojo watching dubbed kung-fu and 70s blacksploitation films all day.

I WISH :mrgreen:

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Grats to all the old timers!

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.