Why aren't there any movies about the French Revolution that excite me?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Suture Self
2709 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Why aren't there any movies about the French Revolution that excite me?

Post by Suture Self »

Granted, I haven't seen many, but after hours of searching I've yet to find something I can be enthused about. Danton looks watchable, but other than that, what is there?

Criticker, give me recommendations! Am I wrong? Are there hundreds of wonderful films about the French Revolution I'm missing out on?

Help please.

djross
5331 Ratings

Re: Why aren't there any movies about the French Revolution that excite me?

Post by djross »

While not among Rohmer's very best films, and rather different in style and content from the bulk of his movies, and while quite artificial and so far from being some conventional political action movie in that sense, his The Lady and the Duke is both very interesting and in a way does succeed, somewhat enthrallingly, in conveying how torrential was the torrent of events at that time.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

djross wrote:While not among Rohmer's very best films, and rather different in style and content from the bulk of his movies, and while quite artificial and so far from being some conventional political action movie in that sense, his The Lady and the Duke is both very interesting and in a way does succeed, somewhat enthrallingly, in conveying how torrential was the torrent of events at that time.

Excellent, thanks!

As a side note, I can't believe I've yet to see a Rohmer film.

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I was gonna say the 1935 A Tale of Two Cities, but it appears you've already seen it.

djross
5331 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehk2
8490 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

I highly recommend Peter Weiss' Marat/Sade. That is a production that can earn to be called "exciting"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc4I6pivqg

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Suture Self wrote:Granted, I haven't seen many, but after hours of searching I've yet to find something I can be enthused about. Danton looks watchable, but other than that, what is there?

Criticker, give me recommendations! Am I wrong? Are there hundreds of wonderful films about the French Revolution I'm missing out on?

Help please.

First thing that comes to mind is why the desire for movies on that abortion of a revolution? I mean, it was only by accident that they failed to guillotine my patron saint, Thomas Paine. Not that it's impossible to come up with something uplifting, but damn near so. Case in point, the already mentioned A Tale of Two Cities, which is crying out for a redo for modern audiences, but so are a lot of other true stories, many of which are a lot closer to a meaningful home, e.g. M/Gen Patrick Cleburne, CSA--if I may be so bold as to toot that particular horn.

Hey, let 'em eat cake.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Stewball wrote:
Suture Self wrote:Granted, I haven't seen many, but after hours of searching I've yet to find something I can be enthused about. Danton looks watchable, but other than that, what is there?

Help please.

First thing that comes to mind is why the desire for movies on that abortion of a revolution? I mean, it was only by accident that they failed to guillotine my patron saint, Thomas Paine. Not that it's impossible to come up with something uplifting, but damn near so. Case in point, the already mentioned A Tale of Two Cities, which is crying out for a redo for modern audiences, but so are a lot of other true stories, many of which are a lot closer to a meaningful home, e.g. M/Gen Patrick Cleburne, CSA--if I may be so bold as to toot that particular horn.

Hey, let 'em eat cake.

I have no romantic notions about the French Revolution as a whole, although I think it's a fascinating period of history and would be well suited for the movies, which is why I'm surprised I haven't found anything worthwhile (with a couple of exceptions).

Anyway, Danton might be of interest to your brand of politics, since it's written as an allegory for Polish Solidarity in the face of Soviet Oppression. Then again, it's in French, so that would mean you'd have to watch it with subtitles. God forbid a movie that takes place during the French Revolution uses the French language. *cue horrifying music that reflects the anguish of watching a movie with subtitles*
Last edited by Suture Self on Fri May 27, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

ehk2 wrote:I highly recommend Peter Weiss' Marat/Sade. That is a production that can earn to be called "exciting"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc4I6pivqg

I came across this one and I'm skeptical but maybe I should bite the bullet and check it out. Thanks!
Last edited by Suture Self on Fri May 27, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

zopz wrote:Gance's Napoleon may look a bit daunting at first (it's five hours long) but I found that pretty riveting. The focus, obviously, is not the revolution as such, but it is about the revolution.

Re: Daunting... The only reason I saw it when I did is because the night before I had a dream in which I was watching it. I decided to take it as an omen of sorts, and got onto it soon after waking.

e2a: as an aside, I'd recommend checking out some of Gance's writings. They aren't boring academic texts or anything, but gloriously enthusiastic outpourings from someone who is obviously smitten with the cinema. I suppose in 2016 they seem a little cute to most people, but I admire his unabashed optimism.

I'd love to watch Gance's Napoleon but I'm currently waiting for the Blu-Ray release: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/28/ab ... al-release

Also of interest, Kubrick's Napoleon is being resurrected: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... hbo-895382

Directed by Cary Fukunaga, who is very talented. I'll definitely be checking it out.