Where do you watch movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MacSwell
2722 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Where do you watch movies?

Post by MacSwell »

I’m sure there must have been a thread like this before (I searched but couldn’t find one), but I wanted to ask where most users watch their movies?

Aside from new releases in the cinema, I mainly rely on torrents, Youtube & Dailymotion, the odd Netflix, and DVDs from a cheap film + game trade-in place near me. I’m also friends with a guy who runs an independent DVD shop in Camden Market where I find some more obscure titles. I've been considering joining the BFI to provide further avenues.

Are there any resources people can recommend that I’m overlooking? Ideally I’m hoping to find a place online that can offer a good selection of subtitled foreign films.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: Where do you watch movies?

Post by paulofilmo »

Sounds like you want private trackers. I'm out of touch with it, but perhaps a kind-hearted soul will send you an invite.

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I'd never even heard of private trackers until now. Fingers crossed for a kind soul.

rklenseth
11495 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I'm not sure if any these help but these are places I watch most of my movies other than Netflix. This will probably be best for people in the US.

Amazon Prime has a great variety of movies. They now offer a stand alone video service if you don't want the rest of the benefits of Prime plus subscription services for Showtime and Starz that doesn't require a cable subscription. They also have a content deal with HBO (for their original older movies and TV series) and Epix (just whatever movies that they license).

HBOGO (for cable subscription) or HBONOW (stand alone subscription) is probably the next best service after Netflix and Amazon. They have the most movies out of all the premium channels streaming services, great original movies and TV shows and they generally get the better movies out of theaters sooner than most.

Showtime Anytime (cable subscription only) is pretty good. They have good TV series and every now and then I find a gem of a movie on there. You can easily get their movies and TV shows through subscribing through Amazon Prime instead if you don't have cable. Something else I have noticed is that a lot of movies on their service also show up on Netflix regularly so a lot that they offer show up elsewhere more often than not.

Starz (cable subscription only) use to be good when they had the Disney deal but with Disney leaving for Netflix the only thing that saves Starz is that they have two really great original TV shows at the moment ("Black Sails" and "Outlander"). You might find a few films worth watching still. I think they still get new Sony and Paramount films that HBO doesn't outbid them on. You can also subscribe to them through Amazon if you don't have cable.

Epix (cable subscription only) gets a lot of the leftovers that HBO doesn't outbid them on. I believe they get the Lionsgate movies. They have one of the better selections of independent film. If you have Amazon Prime then you don't need their service as everything they have is available to Amazon Prime.

MAXGO (cable subscription only) has a great lineup of older movies. If you are looking for an older movie and can't find it anywhere else it can usually be found on MAXGO. Unfortunately, this service is only available to cable customers at the moment.

On Youtube there is a channel called "The Paramount Vault". It is a Youtube channel run by Paramount Studios where they put up whole albeit older movies for free. The only catch is that sometimes they'll have commercials but the movie is uncut and unedited.

I'm not sure if any of these help especially with the foreign movie request. Do you have a Roku by chance? They have a really great feature that allows you to search for specific things and they will steer you to the services that has what you are looking for.

BillyShears
5497 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ has some great stuff (Herzog, MST3K etc) all streaming for free. Some titles even have audio commentary :)
Last edited by BillyShears on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Here's a couple of YouTube channels where you can watch full movies:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ViewsterTV

https://www.youtube.com/user/TimelessClassicMovie

Some good stuff on these two channels. Ida Lupino's The Hitch-Hiker for example (on TimelessClassicMovie) is a little cracker.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Check your private messages.

Also,

For "arthouse" type movies, I'd recommend: https://mubi.com/showing . It doesn't have a library, but rotates through 30 films every 30 days. Each day a new film is available and an older film is removed from the list.

For horror movies, this looks cool: https://www.shudder.com/

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Rumplesink wrote:Some good stuff on these two channels. Ida Lupino's The Hitch-Hiker for example (on TimelessClassicMovie) is a little cracker.

Incidentally, this was one of the first ones I watched on Youtube after joining Criticker. Thanks for the links to the channels; I've built up a rather massive playlist of films to watch on Youtube and I'm always keen to add more.

Suture Self wrote:For "arthouse" type movies, I'd recommend: https://mubi.com/showing . It doesn't have a library, but rotates through 30 films every 30 days. Each day a new film is available and an older film is removed from the list.

I have an acquaintance who works in the London office, so I should really check it out.

BillyShears wrote:Shout.Tv has some great stuff (Herzog, MST3K etc) all streaming for free. Some titles even have audio commentary :)

Thanks Billy, will check it out.

rklenseth wrote:This will probably be best for people in the US.

I'm in the UK, so a lot of the cable-based ones aren't available. I'll check out the Paramount Vault though.

BillyShears
5497 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

Wait I lied it's http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ , I have no idea what shout.tv is :lol:

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

(Also) your local library, if you haven't mentioned that already.