edkrak's 3000 aka Make me watch that movie!

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
edkrak
3745 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: edkrak's 3000 aka Make me watch that movie!

Post by edkrak »

Ok, let the games begin!

MMWTM3K#01
Wake in Fright (1971)
That's a nice build up here - with every glass one step closer to beer madness. I also really liked how unlikable was the main character. What a pompous prick who thinks he's better than anybody there, but he's not really any different. Oh and Donald Pleasance is fantastic here and fits his role perfectly.
Score: 70 (T7)

MMWTM3K#02
The Conversation (1974)
Love this film's pace. I expected way more classical Hitchcock-style thriller at first, but after the end I've realized that this simple (yet elusive) crime mystery is just a pretext to show Harry's paranoiac guilt trip. I'm a bit bothered by the incostencies of his character - he's all scary pants in bed with his girlfriend, but he has no problem making a party in his room full of secret tapes? He's no. 1 expert in his field but get's easily played with pen trick? Still a great experience though.
Score: 90 (T10)

Should I treat those starting films as cuationary tales? Are John's and Harry's descents into hell a prediction what is about to happen to me on this cinematic journey? How much of all films and no play makes edkrak a dull boy? Tune in for the next episode of MMWTM3K to find out!
:twisted:

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

MMWTM3K#03
Paper Moon (1973)
Wow, that's a nice surprise! It didn't sound like my kind of movie at all, but it was so greatly written and acted that it was a joy to watch. Somehow in huge part it feels like a sexless and lustless version of Nabokov's "Lolita".
Score: 80 (T9)

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

MMWTM3K#04
Le Roman de Renard (1930)
Animation is very impressive, but the story itself is not interesting. All the animals except for the fox are extremely dumb, so there's not much of a feat for the fox to outwit them (and also not much of a challenge for screenwriter). I would probably be more forgiving if it was a 20-30 minute short, but at over 1 hour I was simply bored.
Score: 45 (T3)

MMWTM3K#05
Csillagosok, katonák (1967)
It's an interesting film, but not really a great one. It tries to show how chaotic is war, but succeeds only partially. While some scenes excel at showing horros of war being contrasted with short instances of a peaceful idyll, way too often it becomes just a "Taking Your Shirt Off And Standing In Lines In Various Combinations: The Movie".
Score: 65 (T6)

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

MMWTM3K#06
Jana Aranya (1976)
I've got mixed feelings about this one, it's rather poorly made, but somehow the story pulled me in more and more with every minute.

MMWTM3K#07
Xizao (1999)
It's a decent and watchable film, but nothing more than that. First scene promised something interesting, delving into territories similar to Kitano's humour, but it didn't follow with that and offered just a quite standard and a bit overly sappy typical festival fare.
Score: 60 (T5)

MMWTM3K#08
Borderline (1930)
I appreciate it, but can't say I love it. Cinematography and editing is quite mature and doesn't feel as archaic as in many other films from that time. On the other hand I can't say I care about the plot - it's just a romance story (that doesn't even make much sense in the end) and a silent one at that.

MMWTM3K#09
Celestial Subway Lines (2005)
What the hell?! It's like this 10 sec Pokemon seizure scene only stretched to 1 hour. And if someone has any doubts if the author of this is a crappy artist, at the end there's an added sequence where people clap after watching this in cinema. Well if the film doesn't speak for itself, you have to convince viewer somehow that what he's just seen is a work of art, right?
Score: 1 (T1)

MMWTM3K#10
Trains of Winnipeg: 14 Film Poems (2004)
To be honest I expected to hate it, I actually even wanted to hate it after first minutes, but somehow I got interested in the stories told here. It's a quite interesting intimate portrayal of gloom being part of our lives. I especially liked the parts "18,000 Dead in Gordon Head" and "Hitler!".
Last edited by edkrak on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

heh heh heh.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Rushing out to watch Celestial Subway Lines, BRB

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

edkrak wrote:Should I treat those starting films as cuationary tales? Are John's and Harry's descents into hell a prediction what is about to happen to me on this cinematic journey?

I've enjoyed reading your reviews on the cinematic swampland everyone here has sent you into.

Haven't had an update for a bit. Has your mind wandered into a dark place? Have a beer, mate... :twisted:
Last edited by dunbar on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

dunbar wrote:Has your mind wandered into a dark place? Have a beer, mate... :twisted:

Huh, one could dream... recent darkness was more of a descend into work hell, rather than film-related. But I actually managed to watch some films from the list on weekends, just didn't bother to write mini-reviews/update the thread. But here you go:

MMWTM3K#11
Under Electric Clouds (2015)
Nice cinematography, but there's not much else I can praise here. I've found stories here to be completely uninteresting and often poorly acted.
Score: 40 (T2)

MMWTM3K#12
Blue Ruin (2014)
Nothing new or original here, but it's a well directed, tightly told story. But it certainly makes me want to check more from Saulnier, you can sense some promising potential from him here.

MMWTM3K#13
Deadfall (1993)
Wow Nic Cage in one of his most amazing roles. I didn't know he's capable of being so good at being so bad. All in all quite amusing flick that's quite hilarious in treating this silly unimaginative story so seriously.

MMWTM3K#14
Winter Light (1963)

Score: 75 (T8)

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

MMWTM3K#15
Z (1969)
To be honest I'm quite underwhelmed. Script is good, but unimpressive direction and cinematography makes it not that engaging experience. Can't believe I'm saying this but I actually believe it would be much better if it was shot more in American style.

MMWTM3K#16
Frankenhooker (1990)

MMWTM3K#17
Addio zio Tom (1971)
Score: 95 (T10)

MMWTM3K#18
The Thin Blue Line (1988)
The fact that it was used to make wrongly convicted man free is actually more interesting than the film itself. Two guys hang out, one murders a policeman and the wrong one gets framed into murder due to law enforcement laziness and negligence. Well sucks for him, but there's no great story in here, so in the end it isn't much of a cinematic experience. But keep in mind that I'm not interested in crime docs in the first place.
Score: 50 (T3)

MMWTM3K#19
The Appointments of Dennis Jennings (1988)
Score: 50 (T3)

MMWTM3K#20
The Raid 2 (2014)

Boom! Finished! I'll post some summary stats/remaining mini-reviews later.