Songs you'd like to hear in movie scenes

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MacSwell
2706 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Songs you'd like to hear in movie scenes

Post by MacSwell »

Do you ever have a song come up on your iTunes/mp3/Spotify etc. and think "that would sound really good in a _________ scene in a movie"?

Here's a couple of examples I frequently think about:

I think this would be great during a montage of a (probably Southern) American politician campaigning for office.

And this one belongs in a cheesy love scene.

Which songs have this effect on you?

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Re: Songs you'd like to hear in movie scenes

Post by edkrak »

I'd love to hear Polestar 1 - Flying Thru The Universe in some space exploration film. For example in "Ender's Game" ending when Ender visits insects planet (well at least if somebody would make a decent remake, not like it would save exisiting movie in any way).

igormachete
1552 Ratings

Post by igormachete »

I think that's a great topic as I actually have thoughts like this quite often. Unfortunately I can't recall any specific song right now, but listening to Mujuice - Siberia and reading this thread I now think that it will be pretty good for some slow drama ending, something like Carol. Here is a quick mashup I made to get a feel for it

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

edkrak wrote:I'd love to hear Polestar 1 - Flying Thru The Universe in some space exploration film. For example in "Ender's Game" ending when Ender visits insects planet (well at least if somebody would make a decent remake, not like it would save exisiting movie in any way).

I just listened to that drunk as hell and it was magnificent.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

This band as far as I know only has 1 album but it's all this style of 80's inspired "retrowave" or whatever you want to call it. The first song of these two could be a cool intro for some post-apocalypse movie. The opening narration is actually John Carpenter. There's been a handful of movies/shows using this style of music recently and I'd want to hear Gunship used in something before retrowave becomes old hat and annoying.

That or Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Maybe Paul Jebanasam's Continuum over something like Tree of Life.

I went to check my youtube favs for something to put here. It's now 5 hours later.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

After some more thought I'm also going to add these:

For a cold open/opening credits of loner cop fights terrorists movie where we follow sketchy evil dude in a suit with a briefcase bomb and he blows up something important.

Sappy romcom for when the guy/girl realizes they made a mistake and should be with their soulmate and then they have some sort of scene where the realization hits them and then have to rush to stop a wedding or something

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

This is a subject near and dear to my heart, since I think music is one of the most neglected aspects of movie making for the last 20-30 years. So it pains me to say that none of the examples given were inspirational for me, except Bad Moon Rising, and that's been used 34 times already. Use of little used or original music is where I wish the industry would return, and use more/all of the song instead of cutting it to 30 seconds because some critics don't like it. Some of the best music is used, unabbreviated, for the credits. (face palm, heavy sigh)

That said I've been seeing some original/little-known stuff that really works being used of late. Examples:
The Accountant--To Leave Something Behind
Neon Demon--Demon Dance
Nerve--Electric Love, Soap, You Got It (The last two being short versions)
Goliath--Bartholomew (Great song, great show)
Leaves of Grass--Boys From Oklahoma
Like Sunday, Like Rain--Like Sunday, Like Rain

Like to see:
--Wide variety of uses

--Humorous Horror

--Road trip/car rally

--High school movie

--great instrumental, bittersweet

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I've always thought that snippets of this would make great incidental music between scenes.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I don't know if Matteis has been used in a soundtrack. maybe ovver a wes anderson montage or somescuch

just more harpsichords, please. harpsichords everywhere