Rewatchability Index

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Rewatchability Index

Post by Stewball »

We put movies in a different category of art when it comes to reviewing frequency. We can study a sculpture or painting any number of times, for any length of time, or listen to a song or symphony literally dozens/hundreds of times, and nobody would categorize you as weird for doing so. But we put movies in a different category. In most cases watching a movie more than 2 0r 3 times is considered over the "normal" line, particularly if they're in rapid succession.

I'm here to confess my OCD lock onto The Accountant, having seen it about a dozen times before it left theaters. Normally, I would have burned out long ago, but I haven't, and even worse, I'm Jones'n for the DVD to come out. I know, even for those who like it, they don't like it THAT much, but I've come away from every viewing even more impressed than before--and it's an action movie of all things. But obviously, it's more than that.

Most of my highly rewatchable movies are musicals or make good use of music. This only has one good song, at the end, but it's a perfect accent to the denouement.

Anybody else ever this ate up about a movie? If so, which one?

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: Rewatchability Index

Post by paulofilmo »

what is it about The Accountant that makes it so rewatchable? :?: :D :) ;) :shock: :?: 8-) :D

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Mine is Where Eagles Dare (1968).

I am a huge fan of WW2 movies and this one embodies everything I like about this subject. It's a great action film.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

paulofilmo wrote:what is it about The Accountant that makes it so rewatchable? :?: :D :) ;) :shock: :?: 8-) :D

Sort of the same thing as listening to a symphony repeatedly. Your (or at least my) experience is enriched by knowing what's coming in a story that's inherently very interesting to begin with. And I'm still "hearing" some new notes every time. I keep playing the sweet spots in my mind, and they not only heighten the experience, but sometimes point me to listen/look closer at this or that the next time. Like I say, I've done this before, but never more than 2 or 3 times in the 3 months or so a movie is in theaters, at which point I usually start burning out. You can overdo anything good, but this is far and away a record. I'll probably get to that point when I get the DVD and start extracting quotes etc., but I know I'll always enjoy coming back to it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

td888 wrote:Mine is Where Eagles Dare (1968).

I am a huge fan of WW2 movies and this one embodies everything I like about this subject. It's a great action film.

And Eastwood did another one 2 years later that's pretty rewatchable with a humorous touch, Kelly's Heroes. The high points are Donald Sutherland and the incongruent theme song, "Burning Bridges" by the Mike Curb Congregation which had nothing else in it's repertoire but religious songs. They played it in full, or nearly so, three times including the credits. Patton and The Big Red One are on my rewatchable list.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

This is an interesting discussion, I find there are two main types of movies that have high rewatchability, first you've got great movies that are highly entertaining (great because of how entertaining they are) (for example, mine would be when harry met sally, or the shawshank redemption), but not all great movies would fit here, movies that are great because of great craftsmanship and art are not always rewatchable for me, but they can score quite highly.

My second kind of rewatchable movies would be movies that are simply really entertaining without being a great movie, i would put some popcorn action flicks or other such really entertaining movies that are not inherently awesome (like "the accountant"--though i wouldn't watch it as much at the OP) one of mine would be "the mummy" or most bond films.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Luna6ix wrote:This is an interesting discussion, I find there are two main types of movies that have high rewatchability, first you've got great movies that are highly entertaining (great because of how entertaining they are) (for example, mine would be when harry met sally, or the shawshank redemption), but not all great movies would fit here, movies that are great because of great craftsmanship and art are not always rewatchable for me, but they can score quite highly.

My second kind of rewatchable movies would be movies that are simply really entertaining without being a great movie, i would put some popcorn action flicks or other such really entertaining movies that are not inherently awesome (like "the accountant"--though i wouldn't watch it as much at the OP) one of mine would be "the mummy" or most bond films.

The Accountant, not inherently awsome..... :o

But I know what you mean. The Accountant is my second all time favorite. My first favorite, Her, isn't as rewatchable, especially several of it scenes--but the substance, which both have aplenty, is more profound in Her.

Movies like Shindler's List I can only watch once.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I once watched Big Trouble in Little China eight days in a row. Unsurprisingly, I was smoking a lot of weed at the time.

severn2j
44 Ratings

Post by severn2j »

Luna6ix wrote:This is an interesting discussion, I find there are two main types of movies that have high rewatchability...

I think there is a third, movies where you notice things you missed the first time.. Fight Club fits into this category for me.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

severn2j wrote:
Luna6ix wrote:This is an interesting discussion, I find there are two main types of movies that have high rewatchability...

I think there is a third, movies where you notice things you missed the first time.. Fight Club fits into this category for me.

If you didn't miss anything the second or even the third time, you're a f****g genius. As the tagline asks, "Do you like puzzles". This movies is a literal puzzle, and almost nobody finds the missing piece in the middle, even when it's being held out for them by yours truly.