Who is King of the Critics?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
2428 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Who is King of the Critics?

Post by paulofilmo »

too defensible.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

ugh i need to see L' Atalante

Suture Self
2708 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Pauline Kael. I frequently disagree with her, but she's a fantastic writer, she's fiercely independent, she always provides thoughtful defenses of her opinions, and she might be the best weirdo critic of all time. We could use more weirdos in criticism.

djross
5325 Ratings

Post by djross »

Taking a look at all the top tens by all the critics and directors in that 2012 BFI poll mentioned by paulofilmo, I compared their results with my own top ten films, which are (and I believe this has remained unchanged since I joined Criticker in 2006) as follows:

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Breaking the Waves
    Contempt
    Hitler: A Film from Germany
    Murmur of the Heart
    Scenes from a Marriage
    Shoah
    The Thin Red Line
    Umberto D.
    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

All ten of these movies appear somewhere in at least one person's list, but, in the case of Murmur of the Heart, it is literally only one person out of hundreds, a woman named Ruth Harley, possibly Australian, but whose taste otherwise seems totally divergent from my own.

My systematic process of comparison consisted simply in counting how many of my top ten movies featured in the top tens of those on the list. Nobody had more than three of my top ten. The only two that had three were:

There were quite a few whose lists included two from my own list. Of those, one also had two other films from my top twenty, making a total of four films from my own top ten. That was:

But Metzstein, in addition to 2001, Shoah and Umbrellas of Cherbourg, also had one other film from my top twenty on his list, Tarkovsky's Mirror. I therefore conclude that of the hundreds of writers and filmmakers surveyed by BFI, Metzstein's taste is closest to my own. Whether that is really true, who knows? Maybe I should see some of his movies. But in any case, there is another remarkable fact about this apparent connection between Metzstein and myself: he was born on December 30, 1970, precisely ten days after my own birth. Not bad taste for a kid.

But if this correlation between date of birth and top ten films is more than just coincidence, whether the causality is astrological or of some other kind, then it would seem to follow that my taste should coincide perfectly with that of Todd Phillips, time zone differences notwithstanding. Confirmation of this hypothesis may need to wait until the next BFI poll: seems like they forgot to ask him in 2012.