The Ten Worst Films of 2016

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1636 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Ten Worst Films of 2016

Post by dardan »

djross wrote:
djross wrote:and, as an aside, it is a question I have myself been accused of not taking seriously, which I reject, but that's another story

In relation to this, in case anyone is interested, I found a couple of links describing this episode from a dozen years ago:

Ah, I thought you were referring to the discussion, if that is what it can be called, on Schindler's list in the Perplexed review thread. From what I've gathered the controversy revolves around a shot of an ashtray? I'll have to see the film--which I plan on doing this summer--to provide analysis on it, but, assuming it just is a random ashtray, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being something I'd never even pay attention to. I wonder to what extent this controversy stems from a kneejerk reaction to Heidegger = nazi, you using Heidegger = you not taking the Holocaust seriously, and that this fallacious reasoning, in a process of confirmation bias, then was used to find anything in the film, mostly regardless of actual substance, to alleviate the cognitive dissonance resulting from that reasoning.