The Top Twenty Films of 2016

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
JSchlansky
4293 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Top Twenty Films of 2016

Post by JSchlansky »

I agree with Dardan on the number of rankings issue. I look at best lists as a way of finding out about new movies to watch, but maybe that's just me. I was excited to see The Red Turtle on here as it is one that I have never heard of. I didn't think Jackie was all that great but otherwise I think those that I have seen are good choices.

MontyCircus
2254 Ratings

Post by MontyCircus »

dardan wrote:
bowfinger wrote:May I suggest that you set a min rankings limit, say 500 or somewhere in the ballpark, so that you have a list that actually represents (or at least tries to represent) the general views of the community?

This kills the arthouse. This would mean no Moonlight, no The Salesman, no Toni Erdmann, and no [bunch of other major films], films which, for a sizeable minority, are the sole films that keep them interested in this site. Don't necessarily disagree with the principle--a minimum of 50 sounds somewhat reasonable--but then, on the other hand, there's merit in giving attention to niche films that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten, like just happened with that Japanese film paulofilmo is interested in.

edit: Sieranevada, a Cristi Puiu film, has 43 rankings, so forget what I said about the minimum of 50 sounding reasonable :D .

Even better would be a Bayesian average, that takes into account both the average tier and number of ratings. IMDB's Top 250 list uses it, as does RottenTomatoes' "Golden Tomato" Year-end awards. And, you could have 2 lists, one for wide-releases and another for limited-release.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

paulofilmo wrote:and an honourable mention for Horace and Pete

if someone can think of a more depressing way to spend eight hours, i'd like to hear it

BillyShears
5497 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

paulofilmo wrote:
paulofilmo wrote:and an honourable mention for Horace and Pete

if someone can think of a more depressing way to spend eight hours, i'd like to hear it

Horace and Pete dubbed over with Shoah.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

My tier 10s are usually half independent (*), but this year only one, which nobody saw.

***10*** Masterpiece
The Accountant--A perfect film, in spite of being an action movie.

***9*** Outstanding
The Jungle Book (2016)
Free State of Jones
Captain Fantastic
Nerve
The Dressmaker *
Blood Father
Sully

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

BillyShears wrote:Horace and Pete dubbed over with Shoah.

well now i want to hear amy sedaris do the commentary on shoah

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

MontyCircus wrote:
dardan wrote:
bowfinger wrote:May I suggest that you set a min rankings limit, say 500 or somewhere in the ballpark, so that you have a list that actually represents (or at least tries to represent) the general views of the community?

This kills the arthouse. This would mean no Moonlight, no The Salesman, no Toni Erdmann, and no [bunch of other major films], films which, for a sizeable minority, are the sole films that keep them interested in this site. Don't necessarily disagree with the principle--a minimum of 50 sounds somewhat reasonable--but then, on the other hand, there's merit in giving attention to niche films that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten, like just happened with that Japanese film paulofilmo is interested in.

edit: Sieranevada, a Cristi Puiu film, has 43 rankings, so forget what I said about the minimum of 50 sounding reasonable :D .

Even better would be a Bayesian average, that takes into account both the average tier and number of ratings. IMDB's Top 250 list uses it, as does RottenTomatoes' "Golden Tomato" Year-end awards. And, you could have 2 lists, one for wide-releases and another for limited-release.

First off, I like arthouse much more than run of the mill Hollywood crap. If I had the chance, I'd watch more of it, but I just can't. Almost all the 60 movies I ranked with a 2016 release date (and I'd think that's above average) were wide release movies which ended up in the lower half of my tiers with a few exceptions.

My assumption is if you watch arthouse, you made an extra effort to find it (think globally act locally), and that's because you wanted to watch something you were almost certain you'd enjoy, (see Paulofilmo's reaction to that Japanese flick). Thus, Criticker is much more likely to have a high average tier for these titles, especially with a late 2016 release date and fewer rankings. Result: the list can't really reflect the community in general.

However, I really liked MontyCircus idea to have two different lists, 10 art (no limit) + 10 wide release movies with a min of number of rankings would make my day and I'm guessing everyone would be happy, except Mike who has to do two lists instead of one :D

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

90sCoffee
2243 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Happy new year (and hopefully new PSIs) everyone, hope 2017 is as good for film as 2014 & 2015 were.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Seems like a really bad year to me. I just watched Hell or High Water, which has been my favourite 2016 film so far. I feel though that in most other years that film would have been outside my top 5 of the year. As a comparison I usually get excited by half a dozen or so films in a year. This year I've not been excited about anything really. I haven't yet seen Asghar Farhadi's The Salesman, and I expect that to be my film of 2016 when I see it, but outside of that I'm not feeling it this year. :(