Upcoming in 2017

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Upcoming in 2017

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
1636 Ratings

Re: Upcoming in 2017

Post by dardan »

A couple of films listed in the article linked below might be of interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/d ... ng-auteurs

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I'm most excited about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Love me some Martin McDonagh.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

terry gilliam's having another go at don quixote. dew 2018

leos carax is doing an english language movie. again, 2018

paulofilmo wrote:dew

my brain has completely fucking gone

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

It has dawned upon me that the problem I have is that there is not one director currently working about whose next film I consider there's better than an even money chance it will be something great. The best bet (for me: I understand this is a minority view) is still probably von Trier, but Antichrist and Melancholia did shake my confidence a little (perhaps it can be put down to depression, his not mine), just as Inland Empire shook my confidence in Lynch, The Master and especially Inherent Vice shook my confidence in Anderson, Slack Bay shook my confidence in Dumont, Enter the Void shook my confidence (a little, not catastrophically) in Noé (Love is terribly underrated), Malick's recent movies shook my confidence in Malick, Noah shook my confidence in Aronofsky (not that it was ever terribly high, despite my love of Black Swan), Saint Laurent shook my confidence in Bonello, and so on. It is for this reason I say the loss of Kiarostami was such a blow to cinema.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Post by omgfridge »

Still waiting on some 2016 titles to hit Western Australia; Moonlight, Silence, Manchester by the Sea and A Monster Calls.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Has the least connection to the Marvel universe series of films which is probably why I loved the first so much. High hopes.

T2: Trainspotting - Looking forward to catch up with some old friends.

Based on a True Story - Don't know much about it, but really enjoyed two of Polanski's more recent titles in Carnage and the The Ghost Writer.

Blade Runner 2049 - Initially was pretending this project didn't exist as I thought Ridley was directing (has completely lost his touch for mine). Villeneuve on the other hand has shown some style and I dug the teaser.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Dawn wasn't as good as Rise yet this reboot has completely delivered in the blockbuster sense. Looking forward to hopefully a strong finale.

Star Wars: Episode VIII - Its Star Wars.

Get Out - Horrors are always hit and miss (actually mostly average), this looks fresh though. Trailer hype.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - I feel this could be a flop like John Carter (though I hope not). It's Luc Besson at the helm though, so surely I can hope for another lightning strike in The Fifth Element

Godzilla - "upcoming Japanese science-fiction anime kaiju film" Hoping this animated attempt does the big monster more justice than the recent western efforts and even Shin Godzilla.

Always surprises throughout the year and I've mainly covered the mainstream titles I'm looking forward to. Have passing interest in seeing if Nolan actually hits some emotional notes in Dunkirk. Also wanna get a look at The Dark Tower, haven't read the King novels but seems to have a big fanbase as well as some strong actors attached. Alien: Covenant despite Ridley directing looks cool, did not enjoy Prometheus.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I've finally given up trying to forecast winners or stinkers. Of my nine tier 10 movies, I didn't see even one of them being there, much less a movie starring Ben Affleck, directed by a newbie with only one so-so film to his credit, becoming a near all-time favorite. Most all of the good stuff for me comes from high level Indy or Hollywood fringe sources. Too many promising premises have bombed and too many outstanding films only come to my attention just before they open. But it's the greatest art form in the world, so all you can do is due diligence before Friday, pay your money and take your chances.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

new movies by the following directors are happening.. a few may be 2018 but they're mostly expected in 2017: desplechin, garrel, bozon, varda, decker, ceylan, pawlikowski, loznitsa, chang-dong(!), k. kurosawa, miike (jojo's bizarre adventure!), seidl, winterbottom, garrone, verbinski, martel, reygadas, haneke, bigelow, haynes, spielberg, lanthimos, the safdies, baumbach, del toro, ostlund, aronofsky, alfredson, zvyagintsev, baker, shults, mansour, zahler, sorkin (debut), gerwig (debut), dano (debut), malick, polanski, ramsay, dolan, haigh, payne, kechiche, audiard, wenders, clooney (written by the coens), mitchell, barnard, soderbergh, korine, d. jones, j. trier, guadagnino (suspiria remake lol), michod, gordon green, carruth, joon-ho, s. coppola, e. wright, j. wright, garland, ross perry, robespierre, almereyda, j. cohen, kaurismaki, potter, fincher, nolan, scott, gunn, liman, diaz, vinterberg, akin

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

OK, I know what I just wrote, but there are occasionally near-guaranteed winners, even if they're sequels, and this one's coming out at the end of the month. Be there.