Two statements on the state of cinema

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1636 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Two statements on the state of cinema

Post by dardan »

paulofilmo wrote:was reading gabe newell's ama. he mentions VR and brain-computer interfaces.

do you see 'cinema' existing in 50 years time?

While I don't think this in particular will pose an existential threat to traditional cinema (remember how 3 years ago it was predicted we'd all have google glasses by now(lol)), it indeed is the advance of technological capabilities disproportionally allowing for improvements in action-related facets rather than in storytelling devices that poses cinema's biggest threat. But, again, merely looking at all the things that came out this year: https://criticsroundup.com/2016-rankings/, much of which is made by people I had never heard of, makes it hard to become pessimistic. In 50 years the amount of people on planet earth both interested in artistic cinema and able to pay money to indulge in that interest will have increased a multitude from whatever it is now. According to the laws of capitalism or maybe at that point meritocratic system likely set up through AI, money will flow to those who can best fulfill those demands. Lastly, and I didn't write about this in my previous comments in this thread, a surging movement of individuals in both the experimental film world and youtube scene is afoot. Knowledge pertaining to film analysis is spreading fast, and the access to films and the time to study it is as well. Given all of the above, there's no way cinema will die in 50 years. Then again, I recall from back in the day when I was on lesswrong that an expert in the field, Armstrong, speculated the singularity would happen in the 2040's (I doubt it), at which point all bets are off.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

a surging movement of individuals in both the experimental film world and youtube scene is afoot

that does sound fun, but it also doesn't sound different to me. man ray was always going to produce - he was brought up around fabric, tailoring, art as working life; i mourn this loss.

i'm excited by the thought of Noe in VR. imagine with the right drugs. the amount of shadow dictated by your brain waves, the level of dissonance in the soundscape. mmm :D

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

paulofilmo wrote:
a surging movement of individuals in both the experimental film world and youtube scene is afoot

that does sound fun, but it also doesn't sound different to me. man ray was always going to produce - he was brought up around fabric, tailoring, art as working life; i mourn this loss.

i'm excited by the thought of Noe in VR. imagine with the right drugs. the amount of shadow dictated by your brain waves, the level of dissonance in the soundscape. mmm :D

Nah, it's just that in these days, relatively speaking, a large supply of it hits the interwebs (example: https://vimeo.com/179406153) <-- what the hell is that?. Not sure if anything worthwhile is in that supply, though it'd be highly unlikely if there weren't. In any case, I haven't made an attempt to delve into it yet, and I of course offer my condolensces for Man Ray.

I'm excited by the thought of Noë in interactive VR. I wonder if that will ever become a thing, possibly until at some point the line between cinema and real life would fade (the AI would be so powerful and well developed that it'd in many ways be 'real').

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

that was fun! like an abstract painting with a palette of experimental films.

i do struggle because film has felt flat to me for a long time. i mentioned noe because he feels like he shifts away from this — likewise with someone like takashi itou.

or i wait for wes anderson, or leos carax, because they have tremendous vision. (otherwise, i am with sono)

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

paulofilmo wrote:i'm excited by the thought of Noe in VR. imagine with the right drugs. the amount of shadow dictated by your brain waves, the level of dissonance in the soundscape. mmm :D

This can only be either horrifying or amazing, but it must be made.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

both, hopefully!

could be on your work break enjoying monkey swinging through the trees in ancient mayan civilisation simulator