Two statements on the state of cinema

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
AFlickering
2994 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Two statements on the state of cinema

Post by AFlickering »

everybody here with an ounce of intelligence should start using CRU and never open a RT page ever again.

http://criticsroundup.com/2016-rankings/

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

AFlickering wrote:everybody here with an ounce of intelligence should start using CRU and never open a RT page ever again.

Knight of Cups (2015) is ranked higher there than La La Land (2016): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/knight_of_cups

I guess both sites are rigged :roll:

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

so the critics on CRU rate a film by an established master with a host of canonised classics under his belt, over a film by the guy who made fucking WHIPLASH and has mainstream oscar buzz? well, yeah... that's kinda precisely why i recommended it.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

AFlickering wrote:everybody here with an ounce of intelligence should start using CRU and never open a RT page ever again.

never seen this before, but it looks pretty good.

monclivie
5485 Ratings

Post by monclivie »

Martin went nostalgic, I guess. Things has changed, but I think cinema is doing great in recent years and I'm not worried at all. While Scorsese is one of my favorite directors, I like last year's La La Land and Hunt for the Wilderpeople more than anything he ever made.

Both are flawed, just using other critics' opinions as a source.

AFlickering wrote:so the critics on CRU rate a film by an established master with a host of canonised classics under his belt, over a film by the guy who made fucking WHIPLASH and has mainstream oscar buzz? well, yeah... that's kinda precisely why i recommended it.

They also rate Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising higher.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I'm just a tad younger than Martin, and I too am sick of the overuse of LCD material. But, apparently unlike him, I think the industry is in a golden age, putting out many superb quality films since the turn of the century, more that what had been produced up until that time. Yeah, some of it's subjective, but a lot of it's not. One reason I find more is because of my experience, but also I see a lot of movies in the theater. One thing I can't overlook is that the LCDers finance the good stuff. If that's the price I gotta pay. I must admit, though, that I do manage to avoid a lot of the Fast & Furious/TwilightMall Cop chaff--while movies like Why Him? and Hidden Figures still manage to slip through. And then there's the arrogant, pretentious crowd who think abstract impressionistic anything is just to hard for anyone but the intelligentsia to comprehend.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

taste is beside the point anyway, the articles linked on there are on average far more analytical and insightful. you can bet the critics included on CRU generally explained their responses to LA LA LAND with more depth and clarity than many of the hacks praising it on RT (there are plenty of exceptions, of course, but most of the best RT critics are also on CRU anyway).

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Of course films are different than they were in the 50s and 60s, the social context those films were made in doesn't exist anymore. If you're expecting the French New Wave to recur, well that won't happen. The decline of middle-budget films has certainly polarized cinema, I agree, and this seems to concern Scorsese. He's a great filmmaker, but that doesn't make him a prophet, and he's just as likely to make mistakes as any one of us (just look at his recent films). He's become an old man, and if there's one thing old men love to do, it's complain about how things have changed since they were young. They've done it ever since people began farming and quit being wandering nomads, and maybe even before that. And art forms have constantly had their changes decried as the death of said art form since we began scribbling on cave walls. Excuse if I'm a bit cynical when people do the exact same whining about cinema.

When is that Sono quote from? I've personally been aware that Indie films are just as conformist as Hollywood films for about a decade now. There's always going a few leaders and a lot of followers, that's just the nature of it. If anything, the recent polarization of cinema might inspire the next movement. Even if it doesn't, I'm still looking forward to the future of cinema. At the very least, it will be interesting in ways we can't even predict yet.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Anomaly1 wrote:He's become an old man, and if there's one thing old men love to do, it's complain about how things have changed since they were young.

(Ahem) How many old men do you know who're calling this the golden age of cinema, or that more great films have already been made in this century than in all of the last one? (Ahem)

They've done it ever since people began farming and quit being wandering nomads, and maybe even before that. And art forms have constantly had their changes decried as the death of said art form since we began scribbling on cave walls. Excuse if I'm a bit cynical when people do the exact same whining about cinema.

And one of the greatest films ever, The Accountant, sticks it to faux, abstract, existentialist, impressionistic, cynical "art"...in a hidden-in-plain-sight aside. There is such a thing as bad art, aka dishonest art.

I've personally been aware that Indie films are just as conformist as Hollywood films for about a decade now. There's always going a few leaders and a lot of followers, that's just the nature of it. If anything, the recent polarization of cinema might inspire the next movement. Even if it doesn't, I'm still looking forward to the future of cinema. At the very least, it will be interesting in ways we can't even predict yet.

And that very unpredictability will be because it isn't part of an adhere to the dogma movement. We need movements that decry political correctness instead of enforcing it. It's the herd or enlightenment. Make your choice.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

was reading gabe newell's ama. he mentions VR and brain-computer interfaces.

do you see 'cinema' existing in 50 years time?