List of aggregate users / bots

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
AvgMovielens
2100 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: List of aggregate users / bots

Post by AvgMovielens »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Added AvgMovielens to the list.

Thanks for doing that. I was going to chime in here once I got it to 1000 rankings.

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Added abandoned user AVclub to the list, which aggregates movie reviews from avclub.com (like a movie rated C- there will be a 4 here). For some reason, this user's profile is listed under profile/AWOR.

I also added two new duplicate accounts and a new partial duplicate account.

I agree there are both pros and cons to ignoring accounts. This list is maintained for anyone who wants to avoid aggregate accounts or duplicate accounts for any reason. There is no judgment here. I have no issue with these accounts existing on this site, and I do utilize them sometimes by looking through their ratings etc.

JackRyan2014
1969 Ratings

Post by JackRyan2014 »

Hey there BadCosmonaut. Just like to say I'm not a robot or aggregator account. All the rankings are my own along with any of the reviews posted when I have anything to say.

I also created the account JR2014PRCNTL. Before making the switch to the new percentile system I wanted see if there were any differences using a new test account. I did make a note in the user profile section but maybe it wasn't clear enough. Regardless it seems the differences between tiers and percentiles are minor in my case but the new system PSIs are more accurate so I've deleted the JR2014PRCNTL account and made the switch.

I appreciate this thread. Although I block aggregators from contributing to my psi I see their usefulness and browse through their accounts from time to time.

If any user disagrees with my rankings feel free to block me from affecting your psi but you don't need to if you think I'm just an aggregator .

[spoiler]
BadCosmonaut wrote:Recently I've been noticing weird recommendations. For example, Criticker thought I'd score a 99 to LEGO Jurassic World: The Indominus Escape. Why? I discovered it was due to users who are aggregate users. An aggregate user is one where the scores are pulled from a source like imdb, meta critic, or even criticker. But many times their scores seem almost random or based on weird factors, such as 3 aggregate users giving that Lego movie a 99. So I began ignoring these users in order to prevent them from affecting my recommendations.

Does anyone know of any other aggregate users?

The ones I know of are linked below (this list last updated 2018 05 14 and 2018 05 28):

10kfilms
Allocine
AVclub NEW
average50
avgcrtckr
AvgMovielens NEW
crititv (thanks crititv)
dvdverdict
filmaffinity
filmcricket (thanks quartier)
fresh (thanks movieboy)
imdb
imdb-byvotes
imdb-ws
imdbtv
imdbna (thanks quartier)
letterboxdvo
meta critic
MetaCritic2
mubi (thanks trippingly)
mubivotes
PluggedIN (thanks movieboy)
r/truefilm
rng (thanks movieboy)
roger-ebert
rogerebert
Ronin22 (thanks quartier and PietHeijn)
RottenT (thanks quartier)
rottentomat
Rotten Users
RT_Critics (thanks quartier)
RTCritics (thanks quartier)
RYM (thanks 90sCoffee)
RYM-byrates (thanks avgcrtckr)
slantmag
rttntomatoes (thanks SnorlaxJones)
theyshootpic
tvcritic1
tvguide77
WhatTheFlick (thanks quartier)

Duplicate accounts (last updated 2018 05 28):

glm
glm01

GrannBach NEW
Grann-Bach NEW

JackRyan2014 NEW
JR2014PRCNTL NEW

tipar NEW (not full duplicate with 822; only some crossover)
tipar822 NEW
[/spoiler]

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't think either of your accounts were aggregate accounts. Just duplicate accounts. Some people make duplicate accounts for some reason then later abandon one or both. I removed the duplicate accounts portion of the list. I'm just going to maintain the aggregate accounts list in the opening post of this thread.

AverageGames
76 Ratings

Post by AverageGames »

Heyyo!

I just created the first aggregate account for the games portion of the site. Tracking the average percentile for all games with more than 100 ratings. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it as up to date as AvgCrtckr does on the film side of things.

Over and Out.

quartier
1519 Ratings

Post by quartier »

I guess TheShiznit is another one.

quartier
1519 Ratings

Post by quartier »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Added abandoned user AVclub to the list, which aggregates movie reviews from avclub.com (like a movie rated C- there will be a 4 here). For some reason, this user's profile is listed under profile/AWOR.

I also added two new duplicate accounts and a new partial duplicate account.

I agree there are both pros and cons to ignoring accounts. This list is maintained for anyone who wants to avoid aggregate accounts or duplicate accounts for any reason. There is no judgment here. I have no issue with these accounts existing on this site, and I do utilize them sometimes by looking through their ratings etc.

Which ones are the new duplicate accounts?

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Thanks AverageGames. I don't think I'll be adding aggregate accounts for games to the main list for now. Some people only use the movie side of the site and wouldn't need to get the updates for aggregate game accounts. I'm open to input from anyone on this though.

Thanks quartier. I'll add TheShiznit to the main list.

Regarding duplicate accounts, I had originally created a separate list for them in the opening post, but decided to remove that separate list to keep the thread focused. I actually have a list of some duplicate accounts still. I was debating whether to make a new thread for them. Is this something you're interested in me doing?

Oh and I'm adding some other aggregate users to the main list:

Film.com
RTomatoes

R Ebert
Roger_Ebert

quartier
1519 Ratings

Post by quartier »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Thanks AverageGames. I don't think I'll be adding aggregate accounts for games to the main list for now. Some people only use the movie side of the site and wouldn't need to get the updates for aggregate game accounts. I'm open to input from anyone on this though.

Thanks quartier. I'll add TheShiznit to the main list.

Regarding duplicate accounts, I had originally created a separate list for them in the opening post, but decided to remove that separate list to keep the thread focused. I actually have a list of some duplicate accounts still. I was debating whether to make a new thread for them. Is this something you're interested in me doing?

Oh and I'm adding some other aggregate users to the main list:

Film.com
RTomatoes

R Ebert
Roger_Ebert

About the duplicated accounts, I think is usefull to have the list. I would be happy taking a look.

I don't see a problem in the Roger Ebert's accounts, they are the ratings of one person right? If it was the ratings of his site after his death I would get it, but they are not... right?

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I added IMDBTop250 to the main list.

Also...

Yes, you're correct that the Ebert accounts are (to my knowledge) just a collection of his personal ratings and are not a collection of ratings from his site before or after his death. The more I think about it, I agree that accounts like that don't belong on this list since they only pull from one person's ratings. However, if there is more than one account that collects an individual's ratings (such as the multiple Ebert accounts), I do think they could be included in the duplicate accounts list. So I have removed them from this list and added them to the duplicate accounts list.