2017 Oscar Nominees Recap and Thoughts

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
JSchlansky
4287 Ratings
Your TCI: na

2017 Oscar Nominees Recap and Thoughts

Post by JSchlansky »

Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 2017 Oscar Nominees Recap and Thoughts

Post by Stewball »

To judge 2016 by the Oscar nominations, it was a pretty miserable year. LA LA Land, the second best of those nominated, and is little more than a vehicle for Hollywood narcissism, though Emma Stone stands out as usual. Arrival degenerates into nothing but a monster movie, Hidden Figures is a paint by the numbers embarrassment, and Moonlight is this years PC nom. Lion is the best of the bunch though it wasn't the best of the year.

Female leads performances, which have dominated in acting overall for several years, suffers in comparison to their male counterparts this year. Emma Stone should get it, unfortunately in no small part due to the absence of competition, especially the lackluster performances by Natalie Portman and Meryl Streep. All the men were excellent, with Viggo Mortensen's performance (my 2nd overall) probably making the Oscar cut on the inclusion of his 5 sec. completely irrelevant full frontal; with Denzel being the best though in a middling movie (what is it lately with fake snot which goes all the way back to its first brief appearance in the Gladiator).

Quality animated movies were almost non-existent except for the year's second best movie, The Jungle Book, which only achieved one nomination for visual effects. Sing is idiotic. And I haven't seen The Red Turtle.

So what, you may axe, movies should have been nominated? I'll tell you (natch). In order:

The Accountant 10++++++
The Jungle Book (2016)
The Dressmaker
Captain Fantastic
Sully
Lion
Nerve
Free State of Jones
Blood Father