IMDb to shut down message boards...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: IMDb to shut down message boards...

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MontyCircus
2241 Ratings

Post by MontyCircus »

I'll miss all the reviews by white supremacists on any movie or TV show with a black person in it. Or any progressive or civil rights movie. Check out the Holocaust denial on the "Denial" boards. They weren't movie message boards as much as hate speech boards.

Instead of scrapping it, they could have instituted a Reddit style voting system, or Disqus or something like that. Ban people who serial nuisances.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

oh ffs. who uses a film forum to push their agenda? these people need jesus.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

It's been less than a month and I'm already missing the message boards, as I find myself scrolling down to the bottom of some films' IMDb pages by instinct. Any comments/forum section on any site is going to attract racist/xenophobic comments, so ... don't waste your time engaging with it, it's not going to change the person's mind. It's such a shame that this seems to be the reason they were removed, when my own experience of the message boards was filled with sometimes insightful analyses, personal anecdotes/experiences, and commentary on the film's availability (which means obscure films will be disadvantaged the most by this stupid move by IMDb). Soon enough, YouTube will disable their comments section, other sites will follow, and there will be no more engagement on the web as everyone will pay for the actions of xenophobes (who are a minority of their own).

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Neonman wrote:It's been less than a month and I'm already missing the message boards, as I find myself scrolling down to the bottom of some films' IMDb pages by instinct. Any comments/forum section on any site is going to attract racist/xenophobic comments, so ... don't waste your time engaging with it, it's not going to change the person's mind. It's such a shame that this seems to be the reason they were removed, when my own experience of the message boards was filled with sometimes insightful analyses, personal anecdotes/experiences, and commentary on the film's availability (which means obscure films will be disadvantaged the most by this stupid move by IMDb).

Amen and Hallelujah!

Soon enough, YouTube will disable their comments section, other sites will follow, and there will be no more engagement on the web as everyone will pay for the actions of xenophobes (who are a minority of their own).

Then you had to go and use an ambiguous word like xenophobe which has two polar opposite meanings: The dictionary definition, and the leftist propaganda PC revision contra a rational desire/need for secure immigration procedures. In this case the former is a very small minority roughly equivalent to the number of those suffering from agoraphobia; while the latter is a growing rational majority--growing very rapidly now in the populations of Europe, especially Great Britain, Germany, France and Sweden.

I'm sure you were referring to the dictionary definition, since you referred to them as a minority.

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »