It's not you, it's me ...

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

It's not you, it's me ...

Post by philamental »

From the get go, it was love at first sight ...

... they made you laugh, they made you cry, but you always came back for more because they were so good to spend time with ...

... until one day it just wasn't the same. You don't have the same feelings for them any more. Now when you see them, there are tinges of regret, feelings of nostalgia for emotions you no longer feel. You just don't love them any more.

What are the films you used to love but don't anymore, and what are the reasons behind it? After all, they haven't changed, you have.

Mine is a bit of a pre-emptive example as it's a film I saw recently and was shocked at how little I enjoyed it. The Princess Bride. I've loved it for years, with some rewatches being better than others for sure, but this last one had me mostly bored and I constantly glanced at how long was left until it ended. I recognise all the things I used to love about it but few of them still made me smile like they used to. Have I just seen it too many times over the years? Or was I just in a cunt of a mood and even a threesome with Emma Stone and Scarlett Johannson wouldn't have gotten my juices flowing that night? I'll be interested to find out but it'll probably be some time before I tread those waters again.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: It's not you, it's me ...

Post by paulofilmo »

yeah. it's scary to think i'm not the same as when i was a teenager. but also thank fuck i'm not the same as when i was a teenager.

we didn't have cat gifs back then. austere times indeed

rklenseth
11414 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I would have to say mine is "The Fifth Element". I use to watch it all the time when I was a teenager and loved it and then I watched it not too long ago and now I think it is just okay. I'm sure there are probably more of these movies that I watched as a teenager or even early 20's that I thought were great at the time but wouldn't think so highly of now.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

The Princess Bride is the epitome of films overrated due to nostalgia. It's always between 6-10ish and they love it at that age and end up overrating it as adults. I remember they showed it to us in school 3 or 4 times. It's a fun movie but its ratings everywhere are always too high.

Back To The Future is the other one, overrated across the board and held up due to nostlagia from 80s and 90s kids growing up when it's nothing more than an entertaining but extremely cheesy movie.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Knight Rider was my absolute favourite TV series as a kid. 100/100
The car is very impressive when you are a kid. But now ... ?
I try as hard as I can, but it's obviously a far cry from what it's for a kid.
Yes, the nostalgia is still there and I can still appreciate it.
But if I hadn't seen it as a kid, I doubt I'd rate it much higher than zero ... :/