Films where it matters which version you see

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Films where it matters which version you see

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Re: Films where it matters which version you see

Post by 90sCoffee »

This list is a good example of why Criticker should be able to add notes to a list or allowing people to comment because the list alone doesn't show which version of the movie is recommended, just the list of films.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

someone on reddit asked about the soderbergh cut of 2001. film link

rosenritter
912 Ratings

Post by rosenritter »

I haven't seen any version of Ali yet but this interview with Mann suggests the Commemorative Edition might be the one to see.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is a good example. Two very different films. Can't say one is necessarily better than the other though.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

Blade Runner
is definitely a film where it matters which version you see. The minor editorial differences between the theatrical cut and the final cut can lead to drastically different interpretations and experiences. Which version is better is hotly debated, but a general (though definitely not unanimous) majority of people prefer the final cut. I personally would recommend watching both (theatrical first, then Final Cut), if you have the time.

Little Shop of Horrors' Director's Cut is definitely better than the theatrical version (mostly identical except the two versions have very different endings.) Seek out the Director's Cut, if you can. (I believe both versions are included on the Blu-ray release)

Donnie Darko's Director's Cut adds a lot of extra scenes that provide a pretty definite explanation for the events of the film. The thing is, the "official" explanation is most likely going to be more disappointing than any interpretation you come up with on your own while watching the film. Most fans prefer the theatrical version.
Last edited by CosmicMonkey on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BadCosmonaut
4400 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

My running list (which includes some mentioned above) where it makes a big difference: Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, Dark City, Donnie Darko, I Am Legend, Kingdom of Heaven, Payback, Star Wars original trilogy, Terminator 2, The Abyss, The Butterfly Effect. I'm certain there are many more I can't remember.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Superman II
It really really matters which version you see.

Once Upon A Time in America
It seems the studio version was horrible.
I don't know if you still can find and watch that short version.

Star Wars
Director's cut sometimes should be forbidden. It does not change the overall story but Lucas played with these films more than a pimpled teenager with his....

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

(This is a great Criticker List OP)
In addition to other mentions I can think of right now:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut
Red Cliff "international" is a tragedy, Parts 1 and 2 are a much better experience
Ashes of Time Redux is actually watchable
The Wicker Man "restored" cut improves the experience
Brazil is the reason Criterion now exists
I can't decide if Exorcist: The Beginning VS Dominion should be added to this list, but the "reshoot" situation is literally two different movies.
And again poor Paul Schrader: Dark compared to The Dying of the Light
(same old song and dance of studio interference)

While Director tinkering is sometimes a case of shining sh!t, these coming re-cuts may just improve the films:
The Godfather: Part III compared to Mario Puzo’s The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone
Justice League compared to Justice League: The Snyder Cut

overrated
5764 Ratings

Post by overrated »

There's a handful of films on Criticker that have different cuts as separate entries, Apocalypse Now having 3 different versions. I tried to do the same for Blade Runner but was told that how AN was handled was a mistake in hindsight and that all films would now have one entry based on their IMDB page.

One way around this would be adding the different cuts to the original film like how expansions/DLC are handled on the video game section of the site - the expansions being nested under the base game. Verification would be left to the site admins' discretion I guess.

As to the list, David Lynch's Dune.