Upcoming movies just getting noticed

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Upcoming movies just getting noticed

Post by Stewball »

Katherine Bigelow's latest, Detroit deals with the Detroit riot of 1967. Not sure where she's going with this, but the quality of her previous stuff demands a look.

The other offering is a funny as hell The Hitman's Bodyguard trailer with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. Will it be able to maintain that level of humor, or will the fizz lead to an everything-was-in-thetrailer-dud like last year's similar Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. And does it mean anything that both have Ryans in leading roles. Time will tell.

Any other fringes of the radar stuff out there?

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Re: Upcoming movies just getting noticed

Post by 3dRevelation »

Bigelow's film seems like it is going to focus on a specific event within the 1967 riots, namely the Algiers motel incident (which there is a book about). I'm mostly interested in what kind of response it gets here (as I am a Michigan resident). These riots occurred decades before I was born and it's not something I've ever really learned about or know much about (besides reading a bit). I'm not sure if my Grandparents were still living in Detroit at this point or if they had already moved to the suburbs, but it might be worth asking them about it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

3dRevelation wrote:Bigelow's film seems like it is going to focus on a specific event within the 1967 riots, namely the Algiers motel incident (which there is a book about). I'm mostly interested in what kind of response it gets here (as I am a Michigan resident). These riots occurred decades before I was born and it's not something I've ever really learned about or know much about (besides reading a bit). I'm not sure if my Grandparents were still living in Detroit at this point or if they had already moved to the suburbs, but it might be worth asking them about it.

Yeah, like I was wondering, what's the point of filming it, historical education? Well yeah, but I doubt they stop there. I do remember being surprised about the riot, thinking Johnson had gotten a handle on race (silly me), and Vietnam war protests pretty much didn't bubble to the surface until 1968.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

The story of a savant child and his dim waitress mother--with a twist. Henry appears to be guiding his mother to assassinate their next door neighbor police commissioner who is abusing his daughter-in-law. The trailer shows her with the commish being lined up in her rifle sights. Not your typical scenario, if that is indeed how it plays out. Only director Colin Trevorrow's second full length effort, the first being the blockbuster, Jurassic World. From one of my favorite Indy sources, Focus Features.