Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
LVB
856 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by LVB »

Hi,

I'm Jim. I live in Salem, OR, USA, and have previously spent time in Illinois and New Zealand.

I don't watch that many films and am very selective about the ones I do watch in order to avoid wasting my time. I've been using movie recommendation engines for a long time and have found them very useful. For some reason I missed until now Criticker, probably due to a heavy reliance on Netflix ratings for the past few years. As Netflix has become substantially less useful as a way to find and track movies, I restarted my search for movie recommendation sites. I really like the "technical" aspect of Criticker, and actually prefer its slightly dated look compared to modern alternatives that are all flash, photos and little content.

The film types I'm most drawn to are heist/mob/conspiracy dramas. I also like many foreign films, probably because it allows me to drop into a very different environment for a couple of hours.

I'm looking forward to getting back into film ratings and discovering some interesting recommendations.

Regards,
Jim

P.S. Take my current ratings with a grain of salt. They're in the process of being normalized to Criticker's scheme.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Welcome to the madhouse. :D

jkathrens
1397 Ratings

Post by jkathrens »

Longtime user, first-time poster.

I'm a film school graduate who became disillusioned with the idea of pursuing it as a career. I watch films as entertainment and criticize them as a hobby.

I'm familiar with a lot of the classics, but am not as well-versed as I probably should be. I consider my list of remembered films as a "list of shame" and am making it my goal to knock one should-have-seen-by-now movie off the list each week this year. I will admit I've never seen "Godfather II"... probably the worst offense on my list.

I'm primarily a fan of sci-fi, drama, and dark comedy. Most romantic comedies, gross-out humor, and Hollywood action films do nothing for me.

My rating system feels a lot like grading on a curve. I use all the numbers, but most films I see fall between 60 and 90. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding movies I know I won't like... and leave those for rifftrax and MST3K viewings. To get above a 90, it's got to be great... and have a little extra something special about it that would put it among my favorites of all time. I'm definitely not giving something a 95/100 just because it's a technically masterful and well-acted film -- it's got to move me in some other way too.

I've loved Criticker for a while. The tier system sets it apart because it lets you rate on a scale you're comfortable with yet still compare your ratings to other users. Looking forward to spending more time talking movies this year!

Paxton
3633 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

Devious wrote:I'm probably one of the youngest users here, I'm going to be sixteen in March and I'm a sophmore in highschool. :D

Welcome to the forums! We all despise your youth, but we won't hold it against you (I might).

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

yay more Canadians :D

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

Pineapple tractor hairpins.

Now that I have you confused, howdy to all. I enjoy watching films and found that I enjoy writing little rambling reviews about films. I have no idea why I wandered into the forums one day, but I thought I'd say a good day to all. I enjoy the site, there are fantastic members here who have certainly influenced my movie choices and I'm quite happy to perch myself in this comfy chair and stick around.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

deummm wrote:Pineapple tractor hairpins.

Good one. At first I thought that's paulofilmo coming back under different nickname. Well anyway, welcome deummmmmmmmmmm!

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence! :twisted:

Nice to meet you all...

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Devious wrote:
Nice to see a fellow torontonian.

Rob Ford for life yo!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Devious wrote:Trust me, I have a lot better taste than most of the people my age, and I'm much more mature.

I like many directors such as Kubrick, Hitchcock, and Lynch.

Liking certain famous directors doesn't make your taste "better", or more importantly, more interesting than the tastes of others.