Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Victoriouz
11562 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Victoriouz »

Scrib wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:39 am
New here :) Letterboxd is my main hub, but I like the look of the criticker recommendation system and want to take more advantage of it. The challenge of containing some of my longer reviews to a considerably smaller word count is an enjoyable challenge as well.

Quick question: if people interact with you (star a review, mark you as kumpel) do you get a notification? I can't see where this would be beyond messages.
Hi! Welcome!

Not sure about kumpels, but you can check when people star your reviews here: https://www.criticker.com/stars/?sr=2 (You > Starred Reviews > Your Most Recent Stars) :)

BadCosmonaut
4400 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Also, in the weekly (or maybe it's monthly?) email Criticker sends out, it lists any new stars for your reviews.

Scrib
969 Ratings

Post by Scrib »

Thanks! Not sure if I'm getting that newsletter or not... I have a feeling I may have opted out (I think I did with something) when I signed up, but I don't see any options to change that in settings.

ultright
276 Ratings

Post by ultright »

I am a sometimes movie watcher with a fair amount of experience in storytelling. I like good honest films that have something to convey, even if only visually. Consequently, I like a lot of films that people would consider garbage as well as some of the arty fancy cocktail party movies. Someone recommended this site as being more hospitable to people who are realists instead of raving over the latest stuporhero film.

S G
1957 Ratings

Post by S G »

Hi Everyone! I came here from Netflix, after they announced their plans to close Netflix DVD.

I really enjoyed their recommendation system (the one on DVD site, that is based on star ratings, not the one on the streaming site, which is thumbs up/down only), so I was looking for an alternative, and it seems like Criticker is one of the oldest and generally most liked site.

I started copying my Neflix ratings, starting with highest rated, and as others have said, you should probably not expect good predictions until you provide a wide range of ratings, not just the highest ones
DawdlingPoet wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:52 pm
I'm going through my 'by rating' sheet, looking up every film I've watched by rating, currently its all the films I've rated as 10/10. As others have said, some of the films I'm rating it claims, under my rating, as being not good or terrible etc. I assume im not doing the ratings the correct way? is it a bad idea to go through my list of films by rating?
After reading the explanation of Criticker algorithm, it makes sense that you don't see Criticker predictions working until you rated both good and bad movies, but I wish they made it more prominent to the new users. You can find it if you go to Resources->Help, and about half way down you will find the following paragraph:
In order to generate percentiles at all, you must have at least five distinct ratings. That means, if you give every film a rating of 1, Criticker will not build percentiles for you. For Criticker to work, there needs to be at least some variation in your ratings.
Crossing my fingers for some good predictions. Netflix's algorithm managed to find a lot of obscure gems, as well as helped pick a few mainstream films that were worth giving a chance to, and I feel like it had a really good sense of the kind of moods I am looking for films to evoke.

EdwardMatt@1
0 Ratings

Post by EdwardMatt@1 »

Hello, my name is Edward Matthew, and I am passionate about movies! As an avid movie enthusiast, I find immense joy and entertainment in immersing myself in the world of cinema. Whether it's exploring different genres, analyzing storytelling techniques, or appreciating the art of filmmaking, movies have always held a special place in my heart.

From the magical realms of fantasy to the gripping narratives of thrillers, I enjoy a diverse range of films. I find myself captivated by the power of movies to transport us to different time periods, cultures, and even dimensions. There's something truly captivating about the way a well-crafted film can evoke emotions, spark conversations, and offer unique perspectives on the human experience.

I take great pleasure in not only watching movies but also delving deeper into their creative aspects. I often find myself analyzing the cinematography, screenplay, and performances, marveling at the skill and dedication that goes into bringing stories to life on the big screen. I love discussing and debating movies with friends and fellow enthusiasts, sharing our thoughts, and discovering hidden gems that might have gone unnoticed.

When it comes to my favorite genres, I have a soft spot for thought-provoking dramas that explore complex emotions and societal issues. I appreciate films that challenge conventions, provoke introspection, and shed light on the human condition. However, I'm also not one to shy away from a good laugh, and comedy films never fail to brighten my day. From classic comedies to witty satires, I enjoy the diverse range of humor that movies offer.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

EdwardMatt@1 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:57 pm
Hello, my name is Edward Matthew, and I am passionate about movies! As an avid movie enthusiast, I find immense joy and entertainment in immersing myself in the world of cinema. Whether it's exploring different genres, analyzing storytelling techniques, or appreciating the art of filmmaking, movies have always held a special place in my heart.

From the magical realms of fantasy to the gripping narratives of thrillers, I enjoy a diverse range of films. I find myself captivated by the power of movies to transport us to different time periods, cultures, and even dimensions. There's something truly captivating about the way a well-crafted film can evoke emotions, spark conversations, and offer unique perspectives on the human experience.

I take great pleasure in not only watching movies but also delving deeper into their creative aspects. I often find myself analyzing the cinematography, screenplay, and performances, marveling at the skill and dedication that goes into bringing stories to life on the big screen. I love discussing and debating movies with friends and fellow enthusiasts, sharing our thoughts, and discovering hidden gems that might have gone unnoticed.

When it comes to my favorite genres, I have a soft spot for thought-provoking dramas that explore complex emotions and societal issues. I appreciate films that challenge conventions, provoke introspection, and shed light on the human condition. However, I'm also not one to shy away from a good laugh, and comedy films never fail to brighten my day. From classic comedies to witty satires, I enjoy the diverse range of humor that movies offer.
Nice try, ChatGPT

yug
2041 Ratings

Post by yug »

iconogassed wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 am
EdwardMatt@1 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Nice try, ChatGPT
:lol:

quasar1967
937 Ratings

Post by quasar1967 »

Hi there
my name is Andrew, 55 years old from North Wales in the UK

pretty much an old school person when it comes to movies and tv shows, in the sense that i grew up watching classic sci-fi and horror films as well as reading comics. horror is now my number 1 favourite genre but i still love sci-fi and superhero genres.

pretty quiet person who usually prefers his own company but love chatting with anyone who shares my interests

PistolPete
387 Ratings

Post by PistolPete »

Hey Folks, Pete from BC, Canada here. I like criticker as it gives me more than the traditional 10 point scale to rate movies. I find a chasm of quality/enjoyment between something I deem a 6.5 and a 7.4 for example, but on IMDb they both would get a 7. Here, we are afforded the opportunity to be scoring snobs and I love it. Been here a few months and have enjoyed the site quite a bit since joining. I tend to write short, non spoiler mini reviews, but if anyone wants a bit more depth when trying to decide on a movie or two to pop on, feel free to msg me and I'll try to help if I can. Cheers.