Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
2428 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by paulofilmo »

NoSex wrote:@Paul (paulofilmo), cognitive sciences, eh? Like neurology? I know it's a bit pop-neurology, but have you ever read PHANTOMS IN THE BRAIN by V.S. Ramachandran? It's an amazing book.

Ta for breaking the thread's convo virginity, Nate. I was afeared to.

I have not read that book, but I'll get a hold of it, just for you, Nate, just for you. Although Ramachandran is like a hero. He's awesome.. Check this vid':

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/vila ... _mind.html

And if the Dan Gilbert video link is on the right somewhere, check that out, too.

LordofDance wrote:5. I give very few movies a rating above 90. For me, any movie above 90 is a shining representation of my cinematic tastes, and most movies rarely achieve this level. For me to bestow a 96-100, the movie has to be a huge favorite that has influenced me for many years. My ratings have nothing to do with how good a movie is by objective standards.

+1

LordofDance wrote:6. According to Quicky's QMDB Project, one of my Top 10 favorite movie keywords is "female-frontal-nudity", and one of my Top 10 least favorite is "person-on-fire". That pretty much says it all.

:D

------------

You guys are all awesome, by the way. I'm brimming with teh envies.

I was on a 7-day hiking trip in Finland on my own

And Quicky somehow manages to trump his already stellar awesomenicity.

Voltaire53
572 Ratings

Post by Voltaire53 »

Hi All,

My name is Justin, I'm 42 (so that makes me the oldest on the thread so far I believe!) and I'm a DVD Addict. :mrgreen:

I live on the South coast of England in Portsmouth and work in as a software/network/integration/whatever-they-want-for-this-project engineer. I'm married with no children but three kittens have recently entered the house to take over!

If I wanted to analyse my watching I'd say my favourite genres were fantasy, SF and superhero type movies :geek: (and books for that matter) but I'm willing to give most things a try! I watch a lot of 'archive' TV too (partle nostalgia, but partly because I just think it's good to watch!) and combine the two with my favourite programme being Doctor Who. :ugeek:
I not really into modern horror though there are exceptions (and I do enjoy the classic horror) and am not a fan of gangster movies (thus no Godfather DVDs in the collection however good they're supposed to be).

I don't go to the cinema that often these days (and certainly not as often as I'd like) due to (in various parts) cost, convenience and the annoying idiots who seem to be at most screenings but nobody will throw them out, but my DVD collection runs into some 1300-1400 titles, about half of which are movies stretching from 1938-present day (no, I still haven't got Nosferatu or Metropolis yet... the latter I'm waiting for them to put in the recently discovered missing footage!) and have a Wish List with another 1000 DVDs on... Since I use DVD Profiler you can see them all on this online list:

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Voltaire53

Not yet into Blu-Ray, mostly on cost, I will be upgrading items as they fail and working out where to put the big flatscreen then (there's no point in going HD without at least a 42+ inch screen IMO), I do have a quite expensive B&W surround sound system though which I adore. The non-Blu Ray set up is why a lot of my wishlist is TV not recent film since I think TV will not suffer through being on DVD as much as movies will, so I'll get the movies later! :idea:
I'm a bit of a stickler for getting the best version of a DVD out there, and waiting for one to come out in the correct aspect ratio so I can watch it as intended my the makers... and woe betide anyone in my vicinity who stretches 4:3 or Academy material to fill their widescreen TV because they "don't like the black bars down the side" :evil:

WRT Criticker I like to rate by how much I enjoyed something rather than how good I think it is (though there is no hard and fast rule here!) so some of my ratings are a bit weird.
WRT everything else I like war gaming, fast cars (though for financial reasons I've just sold mine :cry: ), quiz shows, going to the theatre, musicals and ballet (and yes you read it right earlier, I'm married so not all sterotypes are true!) and drinking good wine. ;)

tearsofash
678 Ratings

Post by tearsofash »

I'm a 22 year old college student (going for journalism) living south of Nashville, Tennessee. I work at Game Crazy, which is attached to Hollywood video, so I get free rentals and pre-streets. So that's why you'll mostly see a flood of new mainstream movies every week. I usually don't buy too much unless there is a cool blu-ray version of it, or something like that. I recently moved like 2 blocks away from one of those local movie shops that gets all foreign/adult/experimental types of movies, so I venture over there whenever I get the chance and try out new things.

I like a lot of different stuff. I used to be into Japanese movies like those of Takashi Miike, and then into the rape-revenge movies. Now I'm not really sure where my preference is leaning towards.

I'm not really a movie buff. I just want to watch movies. I'm the same way with music and video games. I guess it's just something fun to do. But it gets boring if you don't get something different, and then it gets to the point where you don't really know who to ask about something different. :S

Bitch Alert
1109 Ratings

Post by Bitch Alert »

That's me, early this morning (early = 12AM), shower fresh and ready to hit the busy Helsinki streets and see some fine films at the annual Love & Anarchy film festival. I can tell you, I wasn't as chipper after seeing Martyrs (5/5).

So what about me? I'm 19 years old, live in Turku (just another Finnish city you don't need to remember) and just started studying media studies at the local university. I just moved in with my girlfriend whom I have dated for nearly three years. Jesus fcking christ, it's been a long time!

I enjoy pretty much any genre of film. Recently I've watched a lot of horror, especially new European horror such as Martyrs and Fritt Vilt, but also good american genre flicks like All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (which is actually 2 years old but only got here this fall). But I'm no horror buff - I still have most of the 70's and 80's to go through.

I'm not really sure what to say here. I'm pretty tired (it's 1:30AM here), so I haven't read your stories and don't really know what I'm supposed to say, but hey! This is a cool site, you guys seem cool and Mala Noche was cool in the theater. Gus Van Sant shooting faggots in Portland, nothing new there, but well executed with (I assume) no money and a cool independent athmosphere. Kinda like the prequel to My Own Private Idaho.

Well, I guess I'll go see some shitty nonsense-flick to help me fall asleep. Last night our very own Lordi's Dark Floors did the trick.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I hope no one gets offended by me using the term "faggot". I've heard that some people find that insulting, whether as for me it is merely another alternative term for homosexual with no negative connotations. Peace and love and hugs and kisses.

prowler
937 Ratings

Post by prowler »

so what word do you suggest i should use when meaning to offend gays?

just kidding ;)

Hi, I'm Grigore from Romania, I'm 23.

my first love is music, i love stuff like early genesis, cardiacs, opeth, talk talk, voivod, early metallica, and in general music that offers something new and takes me on a ride. that's generally also what i look for in movies, i've started getting seriously into film this past couple of months, where i've been watching a movie every day.

i've been watching lots of films from the silent era, and i've grown to really like their feel. also i'm into the way music can affect the viewing experience, which is all the more evident in silent film.. at the moment i'm trying to come up with some music to accompany a buster keaton movie :)

i'm in my last year of college, studying to be some sort of electronics/computer science engineer. i've no idea what i'll do afterwards, part of the reason being i'm an indecisive lazy bastard and part of it being the romanian educational system sucks and does very little to prepare one for the real world.

good to know all of you fine criticker folks :)

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

I'd like to point out that none of the people who introduced themselves thus far (thanks for doing so! really interesting!) are female. So... come on girls! I know you're out there!

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

Well my real name is Aidan Roche and I'm currently 25 years old going to university full time and working two part time jobs so needless to say I'm really busy and don't have as much time for film as I'd like. However in some ways I think that's a good thing. My passion for cinema didn't really arise until about three years ago when I was a freshman at college and took a "Foreign Film Studies" class on a whim. I was introduced to such greats as Kurosawa, Fassbinder, Satyajit Ray, Wong Kar Wai, Michael Bay (OK I kid on that last one) and many others and my love of film has only grown since. As I watched more and more films I realized that there was so much cinema that I simply had not seen. As such I kind of machine-gunned through a lot of movies in the past few years and while I saw a load of great flicks, and some really terrible ones, a few of the similar ones have kind of blurred together. Now I watch about one movie a day to every three days or so and it works a lot better. Currently I'm working toward a BA with extended minors in English and Theatre, with a much larger desire to direct than to act (I directed my own short one-act play for a yearly festival my University holds and had a great time with it). Right now I'm 4 credits away from my extended Theatre minor and a ton away from my extended English minor.

Needless to say movies are my favorite hobby, entertainment, passion, obsession, what-have-you. I always look for something enjoyable in every movie I watch, even the horrendous ones, and it's (usually) possible to find something of value in every film. Hell even in Manos, which I'm glad I watched because now I realize what the complete opposite of Citizen Kane is. I really enjoy the mini-review system and people who think of a movie in a completely different light than myself. I've seen quite a few films I initially didn't enjoy only to have someone that did really enjoy it explain why they did. With their opinion in mind I've given said film a rewatch and essentially feel like I'm watching a different movie. Of course Zombie Strippers will always be Zombie Strippers but when you have a war-enthusiast explain why he thinks Black Hawk Down was a stellar picture it really helps you see the movie in a different way.

Also I'm not a girl, not even on the internet. Sorry boys.

Waldheri
374 Ratings

Post by Waldheri »

Good day to all! I'm a twenty year old from the Netherlands. I'm a student of Biomedical Engineering at the Eindhoven University of Technology but I also have interests in philosophy, especially the philosophy of the mind and epistemology (as they are closely connected, but I'll prevent myself from talking you into a deep sleep).

My main passion of music. Unfortunately, I don't play any instruments myself and I keep thinking that I will pick up and try to learn an instrument but the truth is I'm just a lazy bum. I love metal first and foremost, especially those subgenres in which the bands usually dress in medieval clothing and battle gear on stage.

My second passion is film: but that was clear the moment I signed up here. I like almost any genre of film, excluding american comedy which I simply don't find funny at all (Damn you, Adam Sandler!). My favourite films range from Memento to Amélie and from Braveheart to A Nightmare Before Christmas. Some directors whose work I enjoy very much are Tarsem Singh (The Fall, The Cell) and Pierre Jeunet (Amélie, Delicatessen, La Cité Des Enfants Perdus). I should warn you that I rate all my favourite films "100", even though I don't think they are perfect.

The third time consuming hobby of mine are books. I'm pretty narrow-minded when it comes to book. It is my escapist medium, so I generally only read science-fiction and fantasy novels.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Waldheri wrote:I should warn you that I rate all my favourite films "100", even though I don't think they are perfect.

Thank god someone other than me does this. :lol: I probably had 10-15 films rated 100 before, but I've been trying to restrain myself to put all my favorites in 97-100 or thereabouts..

lauratron
2759 Ratings

Post by lauratron »

Hey guys,

Am I the first girl then?

My name is Laura and I am originally from North Wales but moved to Leeds about six years ago (wow it has been a long time!) to attend University. I have a degree in English but am rather ashamed to admit that I have not been a full on reader for a few years; this is quite possibly due to films taking over a significant amount of my spare time.

Up until about six months ago The Evil Dead triligy were my favourite films but then I happened upon Alejandro Jodorowsky. El Topo then became my favourite film of all time for all of two days, until I saw The Holy Mountain.
This is the only 100 score I have given so far, I tend to keep others in the 97-99 score range as I think The Holy Mountain needs to be kept in a special place :) So far I have only managed to force one other person to watch it; in the new year I plan to step up my campaign and get others involved.

Other favourite Directors include Paul Verhoeven, Bela Tarr, the Coen Brothers, Werner Herzog, Ingmar Bergman, and lots more that I will kick myself for not mentioning as soon as I post this! My guilty pleasure viewing includes such classics as Troll 2, Earth Girls Are Easy, and Showgirls

My other interest is music, especially artists such as Nick Cave, Tori Amos, and Leonard Cohen. I have a cat names Puds, or Pudditon, or Pudi-Wuds, or El puderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

And If I wasn't so damned lazy, I'd write some short reviews. And if i didn't have to be at work tomorrow, I'd watch Werckmeister Harmonies right about now.