Movie Podcasts

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mattorama12
3084 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Movie Podcasts

Post by mattorama12 »

I'm probably not quite to the level of podcast junkie, but I am definitely an enthusiast. I have many podcasts I listen to regularly, but only a few that are film-focused. The film podcasts that I listen to regularly are:

1) The Film Vault. My favorite overall podcast by far. The format is basically two main segments. The first is just mini reviews of three films each of the hosts has seen that week. The second is your standard top 5 list. These guys are not film critics and their reviews/commentary is maybe too shallow for the Criticker crowd. But I absolutely love their banter and chemistry.

2) Filmspotting. If you're here, you most likely know about this show already. The show is anchored by the Top 5 format, but they generally do a review of one new film every week. They also often have additional segments like interviews with filmmakers, an in-depth review of a classic, etc. A favorite segment is Massacre Theater in which they (poorly) act out a scene from a movie and the listeners can try to guess what it is. Probably a game many of the Guess an Image regulars would/do enjoy. One of the hosts is a professional critic and the other has been hosting this show for over decade, so I would regard them as more on the critic-y side in terms of knowledge and style, though they rarely come off as too pretentious.

3) Doug Loves Movies. One that should be very popular among the film trivia folks. It's just a trivia game show in front of a live audience, with host and stoner comedian Doug Benson and usually 3-4 other comedians as guests. I loved the old Leonard Maltin game much more than any of the games they play now, but that game is in semi-retirement as a result of Maltin no longer publishing the Leonard Maltin app. This is more for yucks than anything, but it's a really entertaining show that's "about" movies.

I've tried several other film podcasts that I've enjoyed to varying degrees, but have not stuck with. These include The Last Picture Show, Film Nerds Podcast, and the Star Wars Minute, among others that I'm surely forgetting.

What are some of your favorite film (or tv) podcasts or recommendations?

Paxton
3617 Ratings

Re: Movie Podcasts

Post by Paxton »

I just discovered Screen Junkies' Movie Fights in podcast form, although they are also available as video segments on YouTube. Its format is three contestants attempt to debate their position on movie questions. So for "What's the best movie of 1994?" one contestant has Pulp Fiction, one The Shawshank Redemption, and one Forest Gump. Points are rewarded to whoever has the most persuasive argument, so even though Gump might have a hill to climb in my opinion, it could conceivably win based on the debate.

The Projection Booth does a fantastic job breaking down a specific film and then interviewing relevant parties and they discuss some pretty off the beaten path films. For An American Hippie in Israel they talk with the guy that was the catalyst for the film being released in the States. My favorite episode is on the little seen Canadian production Pin in which they interview half of all the relevant credits in its making. It definitely helps to have seen the movie that they're discussing. Another fantastic episode is Night of the Creeps, complete with Tom Atkins interview!

The Film Vault is also my favorite. I've tried to find something else like it, which seems easy enough because their show layout is so simple, but I've found starting a podcast is like going on a first date, where I have to assess if I really want to spend my time with these people that are talking at me. And generally, no. I'd rather listen to a Blood Red Shoes or July Talk album for the thousandth time.

mattorama12
3084 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Paxton wrote:I just discovered Screen Junkies' Movie Fights in podcast form, although they are also available as video segments on YouTube. Its format is three contestants attempt to debate their position on movie questions. So for "What's the best movie of 1994?" one contestant has Pulp Fiction, one The Shawshank Redemption, and one Forest Gump. Points are rewarded to whoever has the most persuasive argument, so even though Gump might have a hill to climb in my opinion, it could conceivably win based on the debate.

That's a great format and sounds right up my alley. I'll let you know what I think.

The Projection Booth

This sounds like it may be a little too obscure for me. One of the problems I've found with movie podcasts and YouTube channels is that they often focus on new releases and when I haven't seen them yet, I don't care to listen to things about them. While the format of this show sounds good, I worry that I wouldn't care too much if I haven't seen most of the movies they cover.

Also, glad to find a fellow Film Vault fan!

90sCoffee
2237 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

There's quite a few Criterion ones and one called The Criterion Quest hosted by a couple Aussie guys is good, it's straightforward and simple. No gimmicks or long ad breaks or random tangents or whatever, they just pick one movie and watch it and then talk about it while making good points. I only listened to a few episodes but it was worth it.

igormachete
1546 Ratings

Post by igormachete »

I rarely listen to podcasts but a couple of months ago I really enjoyed listening the one called I Was There Too. Basically, it's interviews with actors who played some minor roles in popular movies. Lots of fun

TimeCapsule
1033 Ratings

Post by TimeCapsule »

Big podcast fan here, especially lately ones about movies, so I hope I can help with a few suggestions. I second the already mentioned Doug Loves Movies, and Screen Junkies' Movie Fights can be a lot of fun depending on the guests.

1.)Maltin on Movies. Film critic and historian Leonard Maltin and his daughter Jessie talk about movies. Usually they have a guest on with them, but sometimes just discuss a particular person or topic in film. The podcast used to be on the Earwolf network, but now you can find the new episodes at Nerdist. This week they talk about "The Death of VHS--and a Lifetime of Movie Formats"

2.)Comedy Film Nerds. Comedians Chris Mancini and Graham Elwood (with possible guest) host a weekly review type show. Generally they try to see 1 or 2 of the new movies released that week and give a general review of them. As well as going through new trailers and movies just released to on DVD and such. Kinda of current movie events show.

3.)How Did This Get Made. Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas (and friends) review famously bad and bizarre movies. If you like so-bad-it's-good movies or just listening to comedians rip on and breakdown a movie then check this out. Unfortunately, the majority of episodes are archived behind a paywall with the Earwolf network.

4.)We'll See You in Hell. Comedian Joe DeRosa and writer Patrick Walsh discuss and review only movies that fall under the Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action genres. The podcast originated on the Fangoria network doing more so loose commentary tracks to movies, but is now over at the HeadGum network doing a more traditional review show. This is a podcast with strong (usually unpopular) opinions, especially from Joe DeRosa. That means the show can devolve into debates among the host which can be hilarious, insufferable, and insightful all at once.

5.)The Canon. "Film critics Devin Faraci (BIRTH. MOVIES. DEATH.) and Amy Nicholson (MTV News) have a weekly conversation about a movie-- is it "canon" or not? They will put it up to fan vote at the end of the show and then the legacy of each film will be officially decided forevermore." This is an interesting podcast about breaking down a film and its legacy. Unfortunately, again the majority of episodes are archived behind a paywall with the Earwolf network.

Hopefully someone finds any of this helpful. I'm definitely gonna check out some of the shows I haven't heard of before that people listed in this thread.

mattorama12
3084 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

So far, I've only gotten to one of the suggestions--Screen Junkies' Movie Fights. I've only listened to one episode, but I'm already ready to say it's a great rec. Thanks!

90sCoffee wrote:The Criterion Quest

Sounds interesting. I've listened to a few episodes of Criterion Cast after I've watched one of the movies they've covered, but I haven't been too into it. I'll check this one out.

TimeCapsule wrote:Maltin on Movies.

I don't know how I haven't heard of this before. I'll definitely check it out.

Comedy Film Nerds.

I enjoyed their show, but the format just doesn't really work for me since I don't see that many brand new movies. I'll check out their reviews sometimes when I do see a new movie or when I've caught up with a semi-recent movie, but it makes the show a difficult one for me to subscribe to.

How Did This Get Made

I absolutely love Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas. This one used to be in my regular rotation, but I just don't get much out of most of the episodes cuz I haven't (and won't) see 95% of the movies they cover. Also, sorry Paul, but I can't stand June.

We'll See You in Hell . . .The Canon

These sound interesting, I'll definitely look in to them.

igormachete wrote:I rarely listen to podcasts but a couple of months ago I really enjoyed listening the one called I Was There Too. Basically, it's interviews with actors who played some minor roles in popular movies. Lots of fun

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to check this one out. I think I've heard it advertised on another podcast, Filmspotting maybe?

Kublai Khan
3456 Ratings

Post by Kublai Khan »

I tend to enjoy podcasts where comedians (or otherwise humorous folks) dissect bad movies, so here's some recommendations along those lines.

How Did This Get Made? & Doug Loves Movies - These has already been suggested and I approve.

The Flophouse - Hosted by former and current the Daily Show writing team, this might be categorized as more of a humor podcast, but they have an incredible depth of movie and pop culture knowledge that they often surprise with deep salient references. Somewhat akin to MST3K. Also, they made some great movie recommendations at the end of every show.

Greg Proop's Film Club - Comedian Greg Proops (of Whose Line Is It? fame) loves movies and this is a recording of pre- and post- movie rambles he does as he showcases movies he admires.

God Awful Movies - A trio of unapologetic atheists skewer poorly made movies that have a religious message. If you don't mind a proud atheist point of view and somewhat raunchy comedy, this is quite good.

Bad Movie Fiends - Not as polished as some of the others, but the hosts have a good chemistry and they've been at it a long time. They tend to watch/review older, more obscure movies on a quest to find good bad movies.

Black List Table Reads - A group of actors will table read highly acclaimed by unproduced scripts. A very engaging listen.