Are there any films you thought were terrible but are still glad you watched?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
2428 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Are there any films you thought were terrible but are still glad you watched?

Post by paulofilmo »

ayy it comes to this. perhaps rate without watching xx

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Are there any films you thought were terrible but are still glad you watched?

Post by Stewball »

No.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Yes, absolutely. There are a lot of things I hope to get out of watching movies as a pastime. Entertainment and insight* are first and foremost. Any movie that succeeds at one or both of those areas could not be considered terrible. And any movie that fails completely in both should be considered terrible. But there are some other reasons I watch movies, including as a sort of "film education". So there are movies that are historically noteworthy that I find terrible, but I'm glad that I've seen. Intolerance would fit into this category. Then I also enjoy the collective cultural experience of movies. So there are times where there is a terrible, but popular, movie that I'm glad I've seen because it's brought me joy to discuss it with others. Star Trek (2009) and Pearl Harbor fit in here. Finally, it's also sometimes helpful to see terrible movies to better understand what makes movies good (or bad).

*There's probably a better word to use for describing what I mean by this, since the word "insight" suggests some sort of revelation or new knowledge. But by "insight" here, I mean more just the concept of themes explored, emotional resonance, or any of those sort of abstract concepts that make up the side of art that isn't simply entertainment.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

There are some infamously terrible films which are mentioned all the time. I'm glad that I've seen those so that I can understand a reference.

Examples include The Happening, Independence Day, Batman Forever and others.

amazedemon
3526 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Troll 2
I usually find some redeeming features in the films I watch, which makes almost all blockbusters not terrible, but Troll 2 is unintentionally terribly made and the only terrible film I'd revisit (under the right circumstances).