Upcoming in 2018

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Upcoming in 2018

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Re: Upcoming in 2018

Post by Luna6ix »

Deadpool 2, dude, get your priorities straight. I need me some more potty jokes.

Pretty sure this was intended, but you omitted quite a few blockbusters about to break.

Aquaman, DC had a bad couple, but Momo is gonna be a ringer.
Predator, definitely going to be a disgrace to the original, but I'm prepared to love it anyway.
Ready Player One, read the book, and if done wrong, it'll be like a dumb teenager Tron, but if done right, could be pretty sweet.
Ant-man and the Wasp, first one was a welcome shake up to Marvel movies and I've loved Paul Rudd since Overnight Delivery.
The Equalizer 2, I loved that first movie.

Ok, I'll take my mainstream stuff and get out.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

A short list of upcoming projects by major film-makers with announced release dates/windows.

Still to be released in 2017:

Image et Parole (Jean-Luc Godard)
Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)
The Post (Steven Spielberg)
Radegund (Terence Malick)

2018:

First Man (Damien Chazelle)
The House that Jack Built (Lars Von Trier)
Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson)
Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
Tully (Jason Reitman)

2019:

Gemini Man (Ang Lee)
The Irishman (Martin Scorsese)
Untitled World War Z Sequel (David Fincher)

2020:

Untitled Avatar Sequel (James Cameron)
Untitled Indiana Jones Sequel (Steven Spielberg)

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

The House that Jack Built--I can't think of anything I'd rather not do than follow a serial psycho around for 2 hours no matter how complex his personality or how well directed.
Ready Player One--Big question mark.
Robin Hood--I can see why they're doing this again, the only one that came even close is the old Disney live action film, but it suffered from being just too 50s-ish. They'll probably screw it up again.
The Jungle Book--Huh??? There's no way they're even gonna come close to the last outstanding rendition.
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again--The original is one of my guilty pleasures, warts and all, but what're they gonna do for music. And for God's sake dub Brosnan's singing if they let him near a microphone at all.
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote--Sounds the most promising of what I've seen listed around. From Amazon Studios which is putting out some quality films like The Dressmaker, The Big Sick, Cafe Society, and especially The Only Living Boy in New York, which everybody panned but me (10/10). I don't guess Amazon qualifies as an Indy producer now, but they and the Indy industry are doing the best work, leaving most blockbusters in the dust, this year especially.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

I'd be stoked for "Mandy" also, Cosmatos got the style down pat on his first movie, the problem is that he wrote it like a five year old telling a made up story, consequently there was no sense of reality and nothing made sense in it. Looks like this follow up has some money behind it and Cosmatos shares writing credits with someone else. With some liquid and some help behind him, I think he could do good things.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I'm currently reading Annihilation. I'm about half way through it. So far I'm still waiting for things to get a bit more interesting. If I end up liking the book, I'd probably go see it.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

I'm in for watching "Annihilation" just because it's big budget sci-fi, but to be honest, it looks a little bit on the uninteresting side.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Luna6ix wrote:I'm in for watching "Annihilation" just because it's big budget sci-fi, but to be honest, it looks a little bit on the uninteresting side.

I've since finished the novel and I wasn't really impressed. Had it not been for its relatively short length, I probably would have left it unfinished. From the trailer, I'm not exactly convinced that it will be a strict adaptation, which given my lukewarm reception to the novel, might be a good thing. Not sure if I will bother to venture out to see it in theaters and likely won't bother to read the other novels in the trilogy.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

CosmicMonkey wrote:A short list of upcoming projects by major film-makers with announced release dates/windows.

Still to be released in 2017:

Image et Parole (Jean-Luc Godard)
Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)
The Post (Steven Spielberg)
Radegund (Terence Malick)

2018:

First Man (Damien Chazelle)
The House that Jack Built (Lars Von Trier)
Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson)
Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
Tully (Jason Reitman)

2019:

Gemini Man (Ang Lee)
The Irishman (Martin Scorsese)
Untitled World War Z Sequel (David Fincher)

2020:

Untitled Avatar Sequel (James Cameron)

An Updated Version of my previous list with more filmmakers included and brief descriptions of each film:

2018:

Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski) - Romantic Drama set during the Cold War. Considering it's a Pawlikowski film it'll probably be depressing as hell.

First Man (Damien Chazelle) - Biopic starring Ryan Gosling as first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong. Likely to be an awards favourite.

The Front Runner (Jason Reitman) - Drama/Black Comedy about Gary Hart's scandal-ridden 1988 Presidential Campaign starring Hugh Jackman. Also likely to be in awards contention. Out of the two Reitman films coming out this year (See Tully below), this one definitely seems like the more interesting one.

The House that Jack Built (Lars Von Trier) - Story about a serial killer as told from the killer's point of view, like most Von Trier films will likely get very polarized reactions from critics and viewers, especially considering this one's controversial subject matter.

If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins) - Adaptation of a James Baldwin novel about a pregnant Black woman in 1960's Harlem who is working to prove the innocence of her husband, who has been accused of sexual assault. Another likely awards contender.

Image et Parole (Jean-Luc Godard) - It's a new Godard, so who even knows what it's really about? Something about the Middle East, I think?

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson) - Stop-motion animation about an Japanese island that's used as a landfill and the dogs that live there. So you know, another quirky Wes Anderson film.

Loro (Paolo Sorrentino) - Biopic about former Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi. Sorrentino's film have usually been more arthouse so it'll be interesting to see how he handles a more mainstream premise.

Radegund (Terence Malick) - True story about an Austrian conscientious objector during WWII. Apparently this will have a more conventional narrative than his last few films, so I'm expecting something closer to The Thin Red Line or The New World than Song to Song or Tree of Life.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg) - Probably doesn't need much of an explanation at this point. Based on a popular novel. Big budget CGI-fest about a distant future post-apocayptic world where everyone plays in a massively online video game rooted in 80s and 90s pop culture. Hopefully the movie will actually have some narrative depth to it and won't just be a nostalgia trip for 30-somethings.

Roma (Alfonso Cuaron) - Family Drama centered around a middle-class family in 1970's Mexico City. Cuaron's first Spanish-language film since 2001's Y Tu Mama Tambien. Without seeing anything else, I'd argue this is for now the tentative favourite to win Best Foreign Language Picture next year.

Sunset (Laszlo Nemes) - We don't know much about the plot yet, except that it centers on a young woman in Budapest on the eve of World War I. But considering Nemes had one of the best debuts of the past decade, I'm looking forward to what his second film will hold.

Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino) - Remake of the 1977 atmospheric Italian Horror classic about an American teenager who gets accepted into a prestigious dance academy in Berlin where she gets swept into a surreal nightmare (If you haven't seen the original I would definitely recommend it).

Tully (Jason Reitman) - The second of two Reitman films coming out this year, this is more of his typical work: An Indie comedy written by Diablo Cody and starring Charlize Theron as a mother of three.

Widows (Steve McQueen) - Remake of a 1980s British miniseries about the 4 wives of a group of professional burglars who get together to complete the heist that their husbands died while trying to attempt. All-star ensemble cast including Viola Davis. By far the most commercial work that McQueen has ever done, but I'm excited how he handles the crime thriller genre.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? (Richard Linklater) - Cate Blanchett plays an agoraphobic woman who is forced into the outside world in order to search for her missing mother.

2019:

Gemini Man (Ang Lee) - Sci-fi thriller about an NSA agent who is being chased by a younger clone of himself. Co-written by David Benioff of Game of Thrones fame.

The Irishman (Martin Scorsese) - Biopic about Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran, the powerful union leader who had strong ties to the mafia and organized crime. A Netflix original film, so likely won't get a theatrical release. Stars De Niro as Sheeran and Al Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa, marking the first(!) time that Pacino and Scorsese have worked together.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino) - Tarantino's long-incubating project about the Manson Family murders in the '60s, starring Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio as Sharon Tate's next-door neighbours.

Untitled World War Z Sequel (David Fincher) - Interesting choice of director. Will likely be better than the original.

2020: