Return To: Board Index | General Discussion

Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1207 Rankings
Your TCI: na

Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Postby philamental » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Gizmodo UK have done up two lists of the most 'controversial' and most 'agreeable' movies based on metacritic scores of 'recent years'. I figure this community would get a kick out of the results based on how obsessed with ranking and tiers we are here ;)

Full article can be read here .... http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/11/exclusive-the-most-critically-divisive-films-according-to-data/

For those too lazy to click, here are the lists

Most Critically Divisive

Most Critically Consensual

djross
3891 Rankings

Re: Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Postby djross » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:48 pm

For me, three of the top five "most critically consensual" films on this list are vastly overrated, and the "consensus" reflects a failure of critical judgment: Boyhood is not all bad but mostly rings false, Gravity is space junk that wholly rings false, and Carol, the worst of the trio, is simply awful. Furthermore, in addition to what I am describing as a lack of genuineness, the alleged "cinematic" qualities of the three films are all also highly inflated. Of the other two in the top five, I haven't seen Moonlight, but A Separation is a very good drama.

90sCoffee
1087 Rankings

Postby 90sCoffee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Something common I notice in a lot of those films like Carol, I Heart Huckabees, Melancholia, and Under The Skin, is that they all have a good premise or a good atmosphere or look good but there's something off about each one (generally the story itself not being good enough). So some of that variation comes from how much a person docks that film for its problems. Huckabees for example was just a mess but I really enjoyed it so I didn't take off too many points while Melancholia's problems were bigger and caused the film to be less enjoyable for me so I gave it a lower rating. I could see someone loving the character dynamic between the two on Carol for example and giving it a 10/10 and not being bothered by the pace or something and another person giving it half that because they don't like the pace.

djross
3891 Rankings

Postby djross » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 am

90sCoffee wrote:I could see someone loving the character dynamic between the two on Carol for example and giving it a 10/10 and not being bothered by the pace or something and another person giving it half that because they don't like the pace.

For me, the awfulness of Carol is unrelated to the pace.

Return to “General Discussion”