Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Post by philamental »

Gizmodo UK have done up two lists of the most 'controversial' and most 'agreeable' movies based on metacritic scores of 'recent years'. I figure this community would get a kick out of the results based on how obsessed with ranking and tiers we are here ;)

Full article can be read here .... http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/11/exclusive-the-most-critically-divisive-films-according-to-data/

For those too lazy to click, here are the lists

Most Critically Divisive

Most Critically Consensual

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Re: Gizmodo's most Critically Diverse and Unanimous Lists

Post by 90sCoffee »

Something common I notice in a lot of those films like Carol, I Heart Huckabees, Melancholia, and Under The Skin, is that they all have a good premise or a good atmosphere or look good but there's something off about each one (generally the story itself not being good enough). So some of that variation comes from how much a person docks that film for its problems. Huckabees for example was just a mess but I really enjoyed it so I didn't take off too many points while Melancholia's problems were bigger and caused the film to be less enjoyable for me so I gave it a lower rating. I could see someone loving the character dynamic between the two on Carol for example and giving it a 10/10 and not being bothered by the pace or something and another person giving it half that because they don't like the pace.