Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

Just for a clearer view of the current situation. We have committed to running a summer image game tournament in a few months time with Image selections submitted by the following

Full Round Players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, paulofilmo, cet1412, snallygaster and CMonster)

Bonus Round Players = 3 (dunbar, brickwall, maaxwell)

Still plenty of time to add your name to either list. Final details of the tournament dates/format to be confirmed early March.

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Although I have zero ideas at the moment, consider this my letter of intent for the bonus round.

What I really want to see for a bonus round is a paulofilmo submission. Maybe something done in paint, with a dash of blinding neon lights, perhaps a collage of dancing boob gifs or whatever tickles his fancy--just something unmistakably paulofilmo.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I'd be willing to do a bonus round too, but that's only if I feel like I can come up with a good enough idea, which right now I can't. Consider this me expressing my interest, but I wouldn't be willing to commit to anything at this point in time.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I'm also in for a bonus round

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

So I have an idea for a bonus round that somebody else can use cause I don't know how I would do it and it would be better with somebody who has ranked more films than me. Fun fact, you can edit a score and review and it would move to recently ranked. The idea is to go in your rankings and make a scavenger hunt of clues leading to different film titles where people would then find the next clue. So if you are clever you can solve/follow the clues and if you aren't, you can just read through every single review that person wrote to look for clues (more films ranked making this harder which I think would be better). Making a full blown scavenger hunt and a normal round is probably above the time commitment I'm willing to give, but if anybody is interested feel free to use this idea.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

bowfinger wrote: perhaps a collage of dancing boob gifs

So on top of bonus rounds, you now want to include bowfinger rounds?! :lol:

Just to be clear, while the opportunity and incentive is there to be creative with the bonus rounds, in my view it isn't compulsory so I don't want some people thinking they can't submit a bonus round because their idea isn't 'clever' or 'witty'. The only criteria that should matter are as follows ...

1. The bonus round should be a self contained single post 'round'.
2. The clue should consist of one or more images (it's an image game tournament after all)
3. Textual clues or instructions are permitted in addition to the image(s)
4. The answer must be a well known movie title
5. It should be reasonably possible to work out the answer from your clue(s)

Even from that point of view only 1, 4 and 5 probably really matter. If you have a good idea for a round that doesn't involve images but still fits the spirit of the game I'm not going to object.

Latest tally

Full Round Players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, paulofilmo, cet1412, snallygaster and CMonster)

Bonus Round Players = 5 1/2 (dunbar, brickwall, maaxwell, bowfinger, mattorama12, ___mic___key)

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Er, sure, I'll try a bonus round too.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Sorry for the lack of updates people. Have had a very busy time for the past 4/6 weeks (still ongoing) and haven't had time to do a lot of things in my personal life so had to park criticker in it's entirety. At the same time, the show must go on and time is slowly ticking forward so I'm going to finalise things and lock down the format this week so we all know what we're working to.

Right, apart from Cosmic Monkey nobody has highlighted any preferred dates so I've decided the competition will start on

Sat 26th of May

As things stand if all the players who said they would contribute do so we'll have a 26 day event which would end on I believe Weds 20th of June. If less players contribute, we'll finish earlier. If more people contribute it will go on longer. As the proposed start date isn't too far away I would suggest all participating players should begin to compile their clues and send them to me as soon as you can. Here's what I want from everyone ...

1. the links to the 4 hosted images for your round. I will download them for safe keeping and rehost them for the competition just because that's the method I'm used to, and it takes away any responsibility from you for ensuring the images remain hosted through the event. Remember to check that the images selected can't be image searched.
2. Confirmation of the movie title of your round and any instructions you want me to follow for accepting answers. This is your round so you set the rules. If no instructions are given I will use the standard tournament rules.
3. Confirmation of the order the images should be played to ensure I don't make a mistake and play them in a different order than you intended.
4. Your preference as to whether your identity should be announced at the start or the end of the round. If no preference is given I will probably announce as the start.
5. Bonus Round contributers need to send me the link(s) of their hosted BR material, and should also send me a (preferably short) paragraph explaining the logic behind their bonus round in their own words. My intent is to literally copy and paste your words when revealing the answer so there is no misunderstanding as to what your explanation is so phrase it in a way that will make sense to the players who will be reading.

I can confirm that I'm going to go with the bonus round scoring I previously suggested where one point will be scored for a correct answer and the bonus round submitter will automatically score a point for their round. For the normal rounds, the submitting player will be awarded points equivalent to the rounded average score of the other players. Usual tournament scoring system applies in all other situations in the competition. I have an idea in mind for a secondary scoring system, but will keep that to myself for now ;)

The sharp ones among you will notice that I've referred to the event as 'the competition' a few times above. This is deliberate as I want to differentiate this from the usual annual tournament so I won't be using the 't' word here. I also want to avoid any use of the word 'summer' as our southern hemisphere players would rightly point out it wouldn't be accurate for them, so I've started to call this thing

The Players Championship - An Image Game Competition

As some of you will realise there is a famous golf tournament called The Players Championship so I'm obviously piggybacking off that name recognition. Not the wittiest or anything like that but it serves it's purpose and is apt as this competition will belong to you guys this time around.

I would hope to publicly announce TPC next week just in case it leads to any more people wanting to submit a round. In the meantime I would appreciate it if everybody could just touch base either in this thread or via DM in the coming days just so I know you're still interested and available to play.

Current tally, the names in BOLD have submitted the relevant imagery

Full Round Players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, BRICKWALL, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, PAULOFILMO, cet1412, SNALLYGASTER and CMonster)

Bonus Round Players = 6 1/2 (dunbar, brickwall, maaxwell, BOWFINGER, mattorama12, snallygaster, ___mic___key)

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

EDIT: I've now heard from everybody bar Victoriouz. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we hear from them but we'll be able to proceed without them if necessary. So far everybody seems happy with what they need to do but please continue to ask questions via DM or on here if I can help you with what you need to do to put your rounds together.

I'm going to try and go 'public' with a new thread in the next week announcing the competition to see if we can snag any additional players to join in whether they choose to submit rounds or not.

Current tally, the names in BOLD have submitted the relevant imagery

Full Round Players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, BRICKWALL, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, PAULOFILMO, cet1412, SNALLYGASTER and CMonster)

Bonus Round Players = 6 (dunbar, brickwall, maaxwell, BOWFINGER, mattorama12, snallygaster)

Victoriouz
11562 Ratings

Post by Victoriouz »

lol sorry Phil! :oops: Yeah, I haven't chosen my screencaps yet but I'm still interested in helping out, and I'll be picking them soon